The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Godin 5th avenue no pick ups

Hi
I found a Godin 5th avenue on line. It doesn't have pick ups, just acoustic. Has anyone played one? They are not on their web site anymore so I assume they are discontinued.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2019, 11:25 AM

I've owned one for the last 10 years, as well as the single-cut/electric CW II version that serves as my rockabilly/blues/jazz comping guitar, and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. If you've never played an archtop before, suffice it to say that they're a very different animal than a comparably-sized flattop - punchier, more-concentrated, midrange-focused/"drier" tone (fewer overtones than most flattops), with laser-like projection not always obvious to the player - and need to be taken on their own merits; that said, the 5th Avenue is as much a high value-per-dollar instrument as any of the members of the Godin acoustic guitar family - with all the playability and tone that implies. In addition, unlike a typical flattop guitar (with the sole exception of the early Yamahas) the laminated top (all-Canadian cherry on this case) does not have the same adverse effect on tone - something double bass manufacturers have known for the last 100 years; to my ears the Godins, when set up with medium- or heavy-gauge strings as archtops were back in their heyday (the factory 12-gauge strings make it sound thin and quiet), are reminiscent of many of the entry-level Gibson L-48/Guild A-50 and Harmony/Kay archtops from the '40s-60s - not as refined as a similarly-sized/all-carved early-30's Gibson L-5 or Epiphone Deluxe, but good-sounding, serviceable, surprisingly versatile instruments in their own right...

You might want to repost this thread over on the Archtop subforum - there's a bunch of highly knowledgeable folks over there (many of whom own 5th Avenues) who will be more than happy to provide additional information: in the meantime, here are a couple of archived threads you should find useful:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=138345
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=478024

BTW they are indeed discontinued, although you should be able to find some unsold new-old-stock examples still out there if you look around - well worth the search IMO...
Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Those 5th Ave guitars are really sweet for their price. I keep thinking about picking one up, then I remember that I don't play anything that truly needs that sound. Still for the price, they are (cue the voice of GAS) almost worth picking up 'in case I need one.'

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Ive got the non cutaway model with a single neck P90, but I play it unplugged alot. To 2nd Steve's excellent description - they have a projecting punchy sound, need 13's to wake up and sound great in a duo with a flat top player. Think a reincarnation of late 40s early 50s inexpensive Chicago made plywood - everyman's guitar.

A far as the acoustic model being discontinued goes, when I was looking for one I got the model with the P90 thinking "why not" - boy did that start something
Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM

I've tried a few at various shops and was unimpressed with the tone and volume. It could be all they need is a set of .013's or .014's...
Old 11-16-2019, 05:27 PM

I had one for a while. Acoustically I think you can do much better with a carved top Recording King or Eastman. I never got used to the neck carve on mine.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've tried a few at various shops and was unimpressed with the tone and volume. It could be all they need is a set of .013's or .014's...
Same here - heavier strings make all the difference in the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I had one for a while. Acoustically I think you can do much better with a carved top Recording King or Eastman. I never got used to the neck carve on mine.
Agreed, but a vintage RK (they don't make new archtops) or new Eastman AR610 non-cutaway (a 17-incher, which also adds to the acoustic dynamic/frequency range) costs 3-4 times the price; as far as the neck carve is concerned the D-shape admittedly isn't for everybody, but IME rolling the neck edges by carefully sanding with those Home Depot sanding sponges - I started with #150, followed by #220 and finishing with #320, and I have a nice broken-in feeling neck and no more fret sprout (common with kiln-dried fingerboards)...

Did I say carefully...?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion