The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2024, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Super cool new Mic / amp mount.

Wasn’t sure if I should start here or the record column but I think this covers a pretty broad scope. Just had to give a shout out to a super cool product that I found so whether you mic your guitar amps for recording or for PA this is such a slick way to Mount your different mics without using more and more tripods / stands. I bought two of these for my home studio set up. just made things look so much cleaner. NO...I do not in any way shape or form work for said company

Www.ampclampusa.com
IMG_5589.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5597.jpg (50.3 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 03-24-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Well the mounting concept is interesting.
BUT my concern would be by clamping to the cabinet itself an sans a shock mount , I wonder how much Cabinet vibration would be getting into the signal ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-25-2024 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I can only presume it’s a non-issue as they use these things in live application for according to the guy, about 10+ years now. And the way it mounts clamps to the bottom with a little slider is actually pretty slick. I have to admit I think a lot more of it than I did when I first was ordering it.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I can only presume it’s a non-issue as they use these things in live application for according to the guy, about 10+ years now. And the way it mounts clamps to the bottom with a little slider is actually pretty slick. I have to admit I think a lot more of it than I did when I first was ordering it.
Perhaps , but live use, and recording use, are two very different animals. You can get away with lots things live, that you can't recording. After all, there is a reason almost all decent studio mic's come with or have options for suspended shock mounts. Which are almost always used in Pro recording studios and seldom used live

I perused the web site and honestly I found claim that there are issues with raised stage vibration effecting the legs/feet of a prototypical mic stand being but not this mount, seems a bit specious to me given if there are vibrations effecting the mic stand legs they are also going to effect the Amp feet...

I am guessing the main sales and use feature is convenience

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-26-2024, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

In addition to the issue of vibration degrading the sound of the recording, this thing looks like it would be a pain in the keester to position. We don't always place a mic in the exact same position on an amp so moving it around as we hunt for the best position for that recording is necessary. With a boom, that's pretty easy and doesn't require that I get down on the ground or bend over and reach the ground.

For live, this looks great because the sound isn't being preserved so who cares if it's not quite as good as it could have been, and it declutters the stage, so bonus for that. But as KevWind said, for a recording that you're hoping people will listen to, you want that sound to be as good as you can get it. This would take too long to reposition so I feel like it would be a disadvantage in a studio.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-26-2024, 04:58 PM

But isn’t the whole point of a e609 or e906 is that you can just drape it over the amp without a stand?
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
But isn’t the whole point of a e609 or e906 is that you can just drape it over the amp without a stand?
I'm a barbarian, that's how I use mine.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-27-2024, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
First : Always a good idea to be very specific -- I had to google to find out that e609 or e906 were actually Sennheiser microphones

Also "the whole point" is not very specific, if you mean that draping over the top of the Cabinet is a common practice with those specific mics,, then yes .
But if you mean the "whole point" of the design criteria then no not really . According to Sennheiser the point of the design is for very close mic'ing
Interestingly neither the 609 or the 906 user manuals appear to mention draping the mic, in fact the only pictured positioning would require a stand
Also the 906 actually comes with a mic stand mount ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-27-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

So I don't make everyone read every copy paste into the replies, I'm just gonna try and reply one big piece, if I forgot something shake my old brain.

In no particular order as this might answer a few things together. My application is my home Jam space mini recording space where this amp stack will only be here or the entire stack can be spun about 270 degrees and point out right to my deck lower patio area. My recording and learning process is probably for a more simplistic fun scope if you will. As most probably don't know or remember I was a 35 yr guitar player who had half my left 4 fingers sliced off in an industrial accident in 2015. 4 Yrs later started to re learn to play lefty with a prosthetic holding pic (thank god for a Thumb no injury) I am now PLAYING and the progress has already been 10x better than I would have dreamed of after the shock of the accident.

So vibration issue - Possibly - but since I'm playing through both amps for the purpose of simply a lil flava of both of them, they are at a 3-4 volume inside, a little higher when pointed out my patio. That is also why I'm mic'ing the amps instead of just running mic lines out from the DI post EQ in back. Most of my local sound guys were pretty adamant that I'll get that truer flava VS DI being more for sending to a House PA etc, which seemed logical to me. Yes you see people draping right over but especially with acoustic amps (and also the reason I positioned these two the way I did), just because you can, doesn't seem to me to be a good idea here, just never liked that idea.

Jeff Genzler owner of those amps freakishly has actually returned a call himself when I was having a technical issue question, resolved it over the phone and actually asked him about recording mic position as it's 4 vertical arrays in front of the 10" woofer. He suggested approximately 3-6" and dead center of the cabinet, adjust as I like. The Fender people of course useless but a kid that's been teaching my software etc, my application helped me set those.

A lot of this was about convenience. I gutted and re designed this whole 2 rooom section to be 24x12. About 14x12 is a dedicated jam space enough for 3-4, Mixer / software now. I also have on the backside of the top Genzler amp 2 Radial Twin city DI / ABY splitters. So each acoustic can be played through both amps same time or that person can shut up or change to just 1. So guitars into the stack, those mic'd back to the mixer, without a JBL monitor on the bottom so when the singers are in it they can be mixed in as needed. I hate clutter. All of these cables are neatly run from stack > Mixer / desktop > to Jble monitor on the bottom. Summertime on the lower patio jam sessions all I have to do is pull out a mic stand for my student or singers that day, spin the stack, record if we want to or just jam to jam. The jam space lower patio right outside to the bar, pool and of course equally convenient for me and the chuckle headsIMG_1711554223.063475.jpg….see it now? So as much of I'm investing into this for more than a hobby and less than perfect recordings is kinda where I'm at. Definitely doing some sound treatment to the space as well.

But as always, appreciate the replies. I just felt like I was kinda last to the deal on these and bought them liked them. Good tripods stands yes / here convenience wins out over. Stack will be in corner 95% of the time - 20-30 days a year in May spun around to the patio through November. IMG_1711553835.914926.jpgIMG_1711553883.170948.jpgIMG_5598.jpgIMG_1711553958.170116.jpgIMG_1711554015.847007.jpgIMG_1711555040.519450.jpgIMG_1711555071.512693.jpg

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 03-27-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:56 PM

On an electric amp I can so miking it. I’m just curious as to why on an acoustic amp, you don’t just use the line out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD