The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-27-2024, 07:42 PM

It was fantastic! My fave guitars were the Osthoff black limba (super light, responsive, musical, and pretty), Noemi’s version of a large OM that was delicate and sounded like a classical, Circa’s OM macassar ebony and single 0 Braz guitars, Halland’s maple and a couple of Froggy Bottoms (the R and M). It was my first time ever playing Froggy’s and I really liked em. But I was surprised how different the M and R sounded.

I don’t think he’s on here but I really enjoyed my convo with Gage Halland, he just seems like a really interesting and sharp guy. I talked to John Slobod for a while, I really admire how passionate, humble and patient he was with my questions.

They may not remember me as I did not take pics, but I met cigarfan and dcn (who’s a terrific player) and a younger very nice guy named Eddie from Chicago.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamx View Post
It was fantastic! My fave guitars were the Osthoff black limba (super light, responsive, musical, and pretty), Noemi’s version of a large OM that was delicate and sounded like a classical, Circa’s OM macassar ebony and single 0 Braz guitars, Halland’s maple and a couple of Froggy Bottoms (the R and M). It was my first time ever playing Froggy’s and I really liked em. But I was surprised how different the M and R sounded.

I don’t think he’s on here but I really enjoyed my convo with Gage Halland, he just seems like a really interesting and sharp guy. I talked to John Slobod for a while, I really admire how passionate, humble and patient he was with my questions.

They may not remember me as I did not take pics, but I met cigarfan and dcn (who’s a terrific player) and a younger very nice guy named Eddie from Chicago.
Gage is a super nice guy, down to earth and a pleasure to hang out with.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Any chance anyone else has thoughts about the show? Missed it again but remember how much I enjoyed the one I went to. Guitars that jumped out? Followed folks home? Workshops n demos? I am hoping to hear it was great and hoping to go next year.

Jeff
This is what I wrote in a thread in the general discussion section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
This is the third year in a row that I’ve gone to the show, and I thought it was far and away the best show yet. Of course, the guitars and the luthiers are the main attraction, but I found the master classes to be exceptional this year. John Thomas gave everyone a preview of his upcoming book on the art and science of the acoustic guitar, and moderated a panel with John Monteleone, Roger Sadowsky, Dick Boak and Michael Millard. Kim Person, recording engineer extraordinaire, gave a presentation that canvassed her career and techniques for recording Stephen Bennett, Tommy Emmanuel and many others. Laurence Juber gave a presentation on the history of the guitar, and among other things demonstrated how chord changes in early Renaissance music ended up in pop songs. His concert Saturday night was simply incredible. I’ve been listening to his recordings for years, and have always wondered how he could possibly produce all the notes in one take (i.e., no over-dubbing). He is an absolute virtuoso.

I took some photos this year, but not as many as in previous years. Also, since I was in and out of the exhibition hall, I wasn’t able to make it to every booth, and I realize now that I didn’t photograph any of the booths in the first row which tended to be the most crowded.

Artisan Guitar Show 2024
Old 04-28-2024, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the posts. Exactly what I was hoping for. Went to the 1st Artisan Show and it was a fantastic experience. Covid and other factors have gotten in the way ever since. This year’s show looked fantastic, but was unable to attend. Hoping it was a success for the vendors and they can’t wait for the next one. I am looking forward to the opportunity.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:43 AM

And back home safely
Thank you for stopping by to whomever came to my table!
The show was great, the guitars were well received and one found a new home, the day after it was strung up!
On that note, thank you Sinistral for the photos, they are the only documentation of the finished baritone Columbia I have

See you all next time!

Ciao, Max
Old 04-29-2024, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Had a great time at the 2024 Artisan Guitar Show. Only attended on Saturday and spent most of my time trying guitars and visiting but I was able to get a few pics. Met a lot of (new to me) AGFers. It's amazing how many of us are out there!

John Slobod holding an AGFers piece of history. 1938 Gibson with Mahogany back and BRW sides. The tone was incredible.

Hi Cigarfan,

It was good to meet you. Thanks for your kind words and great photos of my guitar. Wish we had more time to chat.

Regards,

Fred

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop