The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-25-2024, 03:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default David Gilmour Single Just Dropped - Album Coming

The single is called "The Piper's Call" and is on Spotify and several other services as of an hour ago! The album, Luck and Strange, is due in September and will drop on Vinyl, CD, Blue Ray, and Digital. it is an interesting song, with certain hints of Neil Young to it.

More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:06 PM

The official video. I had not personally seen DG play nylon acoustic guitar, or ukulele for that matter...

Warning, the video is chock full of eye candy for those of us who like the recording end of making music!

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-26-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Thank you Rudy! One hundred forty-nine views and you are the first to respond!

Yeah, we see four studios (David's Astoria and Brighton studios, Abbey Road Studio One, Knopfler's British Grove Studios) and one location (the church). He's singing through a vintage Neumann U-47 mic. Over time he has seemed to use every opportunity to trot out a vintage lap steel guitar. This time it is his Richenbacher A-22 Frying Pan lap steel but before he has played a Ca. 1936 Gibson Eh-150 lap steel (Live at the Meltdown) and has equipped a band member with a ca. 1951 Rickenbacker B6 (Remember That Night). Cool!

Bob

Old 04-26-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Thank you Rudy! One hundred forty-nine views and you are the first to respond!

Yeah, we see four studios (David's Astoria and Brighton studios, Abbey Road Studio One, Knopfler's British Grove Studios) and one location (the church). He's singing through a vintage Neumann U-47 mic. Over time he has seemed to use every opportunity to trot out a vintage lap steel guitar. This time it is his Richenbacher A-22 Frying Pan lap steel but before he has played a Ca. 1936 Gibson Eh-150 lap steel (Live at the Meltdown) and has equipped a band member with a ca. 1951 Rickenbacker B6 (Remember That Night). Cool!

Bob
Bob, YOU are obviously The Man!
I probably should recognize the mic that's perched on top of the U-47, but I'm curious what it is (and why it's there!)
Old 04-26-2024, 05:17 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The official video. I had not personally seen DG play nylon acoustic guitar, or ukulele for that matter...
He played nylon on the last song of the last Pink Floyd album (not counting The Endless River) - High Hopes off of The Division Bell (great tune!)

I am VERY excited about this. Since 7th grade (~1989), Pink Floyd has been one of my favorite bands and I've loved all the Gilmour solo albums that have been coming out over the years.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Bob, YOU are obviously The Man!
I probably should recognize the mic that's perched on top of the U-47, but I'm curious what it is (and why it's there!)
It looks like a Beyerdynamic M160 double ribbon. It is not abnormal to place more than one mic during a vocal recording session in order to have choices once the mix begins to build up. In this case you've got a U-47 with clear bright upper mids, present upper end, and full bass, sitting capsule-to-capsule with a ribbon mic that is more mirangey and husky. It could be that they were set in order to be able to emphasize the huskiness of David's voice and the ability to emphasize the character in the mix phase.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN