The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-20-2024, 01:36 PM

Default Effects recommendations......

Hi
As much as I thought the Zoom G1Four sounded good....My amp sounds better without it..
I just need an effects box.. Chorus-Tremolo-reverb etc.., But I need it not to mess with the guitar tone much....transparent
Oh and my amp doesn't have an effects loop (Vox Mini-Super Beatle)
Any recommendations?

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-20-2024, 01:53 PM

My advice is to take your guitar and amp to Boise Guitar Center (15 min. from you), or your favorite guitar equipment store, and sample pedals - with your equipment - and pick the ones that give you what you are looking for - through your equipment. Opinions herein will vary too much depending on hearing, desire and equipment.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:35 PM

What's your budget??

You could get a couple of pedals to do what you want.

You could get one muliteffects pedal.

This might do it??

https://robertkeeley.com/product/super-mod-workstation/

Sweetwater has a lot you can look through.

Strymon has several that might work or work with one more pedal to round out your needs.

Maybe a Strymon Flint and a BOSS CE 2 Wazacraft

Just some thoughts
Old 04-20-2024, 06:53 PM

Keeley Caverns v2. Has reverb and delay in the same pedal. The reverb has modulation and shimmer options so you're really kinda getting 4 pedals in one.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:53 AM

The Zoom G1 Four has this irritating tone(EQ) that I can't seem to EQ out, other than that it would work great as a Effects pedal by turning off the amp/cab models..
I'll check into the Keely

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-22-2024, 05:33 PM

I really like my Boss GT-1. It has tons of effects, as well as amp models, but if you are going into an amp, you simply turn off the amp modeler and set the output configuration to match whatever you are going into.
Early 2000’s Tradition B-100 Electric Bass
2023 Taylor 214ce dlx ziricote
(Boss GT-1 for all of them)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:06 PM

First, I'm not a big fan of multi-effects pedals. I've found them too difficult to deal with, but that could just be the couple I've tried.

If you want to try pedals at moderate cost, most of the Behringer pedals are electronic clones of equivalent Boss pedals, and most sell for $29 at Sweetwater.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-23-2024, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

If you really want transparent pedals, you need to look at Analog Man pedals. These are custom built pedals in a small shop that uses only the best components available. Its definitely not an all in one box of pedals approach, so if that kind of processed sound is what you’re after don’t waste your time on Analog Man’s web site.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:15 AM

Take a look at Line6.com (owned by Yamaha) and see if any of these effects pedal systems interest you. I would think the M5 would suit your needs based on your post. But, maybe one of the others jumps out. The quality is high and the price is reasonable. HX1 looks nicely built and modern too.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:58 AM

There is more BS about pedals than any other gear. I've been there and back again so many times and now realize that it is just a money pit if you don't be careful. IMO all you need is a tuner, boost, clean OD, delay, and perhaps reverb and tremolo if the amp doesn't have them.

Multi effects are fun toys but get in the way of making music in a live situation.

The key to great tone is using a good amp, period.

The guys who are paying hundreds of dollars on $5 worth of parts are fooling themselves.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 04-23-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
There is more BS about pedals than any other gear.

The key to great tone is using a good amp, period.

The guys who are paying hundreds of dollars on $5 worth of parts are fooling themselves.
true! my old fender amps had reverb and tremolo so a tuner was all I ever used and could overdrive a little at a lower volume if wanted... there's a reason i own acoustics and it's not to amplify or pedalize but then i'm no bar junkie just an anti-social hermit nowadays
Old 04-23-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Hi
As much as I thought the Zoom G1Four sounded good....My amp sounds better without it.

No doubt! Multi-effect units are tone killers.

Quote:
I just need an effects box.. Chorus-Tremolo-reverb etc..,

Aside from what they do to amps — the problem you're experiencing — there are four other problems with multi-effect pedals:
1. All the effects won't please you. For instance, you might love the chorus but hate the overdrive.

2. If it breaks down, you lose all your effects at once.

3. They're not as intuitive as using a single pedal for each effect.

4. You're paying for more effects than you'll use — like getting a hundred cable channels for the four TV stations you actually watch. With cable, you have no choice. But with pedals, you do.
The only advantage to multi-effects pedals is that they're cheap — like those old boomboxes with radio, cassette slots, CD trays, and speakers all in one unit. In theory, it's a brilliant idea. But you get what you pay for. Boomboxes never sounded great, and multi-effect units don't, either. Spend money on good pedals for each effect you actually want.

For instance, I have three overdrives, one reverb, and one trem: all true bypass and all effects I actually want and use. I got the reverb first because that matters most to me. Then trem, then the overdrives, one at a time. And now I'm exactly where I want to be.

Quote:
But I need it not to mess with the guitar tone much....transparent

True bypass pedals are usually (usually!) cleaner and more transparent. Hand-wired is usually (not always!) better, too. The best approach is to add pedals one at a time to make sure they play well with each other. Don't get distracted or befuddled by all the buffer hokum you hear and read. It's all nonsense. Just get good pedals.

Quote:
Oh and my amp doesn't have an effects loop (Vox Mini-Super Beatle)
No sweat. Most players don't need effects loops. They're useful for serious shoegaze artists, but if you goal is simply to sound good, there's no need.

Quote:
Any recommendations?
None. Can't tell you what pedals are right for you. The ones I like aren't necessarily the ones you'd like. I pay attention to sound quality and ease of operation. So I just shopped around, tried some, and didn't keep pedals that (a) I didn't love the sound of, (b) didn't play well with others, or (b) I ended up not using.

(For example, someone above recommended Analogman. A good company. I had an Analogman King of Tone overdrive for a while. Well made and transparent, and Analog Mike has a sterling reputation. I have nothing but praise for the pedal, but it just wasn't my sound. So I sold it and kept looking. Glad I did.)

Your Vox already has reverb and trem. You could get fancier pedals for those, of course, or you might decide you'd rather start by finding a good chorus and whatever else you want and upgrade your reverb and trem later.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-24-2024 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:48 AM

I'd start with just a delay pedal. And a floor tuner, so you'll be muted when you tune. Get the Peterson and you'll be able to see it outdoors in the daytime.

Couch Standards
Old 04-23-2024, 12:45 PM

T.S. Electronic Plethora 3x. Heads and heads above anything in its price range. One of the most pristine soundings, multi-FX pedals I've ever heard. Almost rack quality on a pedal. Price belies logic. I dunno how you could do better.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:31 PM

Strymon Flint.

https://www.strymon.net/product/flint/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars