The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

OK, I tried it. Set up the Google Home Mini, synced it with Spotify, started playing a Richard Thompson acoustic playlist, flipped it over so that the padded part was against the guitar top...

...and it stopped playing. Tried it again - stopped. Apparently, the device has a switch that detects when its been turned upside down and shuts it off. I could just set it upright on its rubberized bottom but others' concerns about damage to the finish had me reluctant to do so. I may fiddle with it a bit more, but for now it looks like a no-go.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 04-16-2024, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Years ago I placed my guitar on a stand next to one of my large-ish stereo speakers, put a stack of heavy-bass funk and disco CDs into the changer, turned up the volume, and let it go for several hours. It vibrated the heck out of the guitar, but I was unable to detect any tonal improvement. Or extra funk.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
OK, I tried it. Set up the Google Home Mini, synced it with Spotify, started playing a Richard Thompson acoustic playlist, flipped it over so that the padded part was against the guitar top...

...and it stopped playing. Tried it again - stopped. Apparently, the device has a switch that detects when its been turned upside down and shuts it off. I could just set it upright on its rubberized bottom but others' concerns about damage to the finish had me reluctant to do so. I may fiddle with it a bit more, but for now it looks like a no-go.
If you're worried about the rubber having an interaction with the finish, put a small patch of cotton under it.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:21 AM

What do you do if it makes your guitar sound worse?

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion