The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jcarlos...

I'm not sure if we have said it specifically, but side ports are to enhance the sound of the guitar for the player, and they don't affect what the audience hears.

Richard Hoover would argue something along the lines of the air gushing out the soundport will decrease the amount of air gushing out the soundhole and therefore have some sort of impact on tone. I can't remember the exact wording he used but he addressed this to that effect on the SCGC forum a while back.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
Richard Hoover would argue something along the lines of the air gushing out the soundport will decrease the amount of air gushing out the soundhole and therefore have some sort of impact on tone. I can't remember the exact wording he used but he addressed this to that effect on the SCGC forum a while back.
Certainly like to see any real research he has on that.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM

Silly affectation soon to pass.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Musical minimalist

Yeah, just a bunch of silly builders and players. A whole bunch.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 PM

I suppose your comment was directed at me..
I said NOTHING about players. Nothing.

It is a silly affectation that will pass... nothing more.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
I suppose your comment was directed at me..
I said NOTHING about players. Nothing.

It is a silly affectation that will pass... nothing more.
saying it's silly makes it directed at anyone that think they are worthwhile.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM

"saying it's silly makes it directed at anyone that think they are worthwhile. "

That is your opinion and your interpretation, I am only speaking for myself and do not foist my opinion on others.. I do not project...

Saying they are worthwhile is saying everyone thinks they are groovy...
they are an affectation.. a fad, a new age phenomenon.

It is MY opinion only that it is a silly affectation that will fade away..

Time will tell.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM

They are certainly not silly to me and I don't believe they will fade away.... at least not on any of my guitars. I've added sound ports to all my guitars and will continue to do so to any new ones. To me they are like adding surround sound. There is not one guitar that I've added a port to that did not benefit from it.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post

Saying they are worthwhile is saying everyone thinks they are groovy...

Difference being I gave the OP answers to his questions with real life experiences, as someone who has owned a dozen or more guitars with ports......7-8 I've installed myself and had lots of before and after experience with the same guitar. I don't expect everyone to like them, or anything I have to say for that matter. But I'm not going to say something like "People who only build traditional instruments are silly - that phase is going to pass" with nothing to back it up.

You came on and gave your short opinion with no reasons to back it up, and used verbiage that has pretty negative connotations, even if it is YOUR opinion.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM

I Cut a port in my Guild GAD 30 after several years of trepidation and honestly, I can take it either way. With the port, I hear more of the treble and less of the bass. So when playing with others, it helps. However, I think the sound is more balanced with the port closed.

Rick

Ps - it's unlikely I would cut another one in hopes that I would have a better playing experience

Last edited by srick; 07-31-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jcarlos...

I'm not sure if we have said it specifically, but side ports are to enhance the sound of the guitar for the player, and they don't affect what the audience hears.

Can a side port be added to any existing guitar? Does the type of finish matter? I would never trust myself to do it but wouldn't mind letting a luthier do it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Can a side port be added to any existing guitar? Does the type of finish matter? I would never trust myself to do it but wouldn't mind letting a luthier do it.
Hi pz...

As far as I know they can.

I mean it's just a small hole in the side.

There's already a 4 inch hole in the middle of the top of most acoustic guitars that was added after the top was assembled/joined.

Tim McKnight suggests care in doing so. I cannot see where the finish would matter as long as one takes care to not shred the edge wood while cutting and sizing the hole.

I'm not sure at what stage a luthier adds side ports to his/her guitars...but I'm assuming after the side is bent and assembled into the body.

I had no issue putting one in a Seagull S-6, nor a Recording King 000-12. I had the Kronbauer's added by a luthier.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 PM

I have 2 Joshua House guitars and 1 guitar shaped bouzouki with side soundholes. I like them, they seem to give the sound I hear an extra dimension, kind of a little like the difference between mono and stereo. I think they feed back less when amplified too, but I haven't any way of determining that with empirical evidence. One of the guitars is especially good, reasons unknown, it just is.

I've often considered adding a port to one of my other guitars, but I'd consult with the builder first for opinions.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Musical minimalist

Some builders have braces right where you'd want the port in the upper treble bout, so probably not all could have one installed in the optimum position. I've run into that a couple of times (can't remember what brands right now)

I played a House GA a while back at Elderly that had dual ports, in the showroom it was pretty amazing. I've been wanting to test that on another instrument.....problem is my method of installation on the upper bout doesn't work on the lower

Might have to rethink that and try it on a less expensive instrument.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Some builders have braces right where you'd want the port in the upper treble bout, so probably not all could have one installed in the optimum position. I've run into that a couple of times (can't remember what brands right now)
Hi f-1...

But who determines what would be the 'optimum' position?

Al Carruth (luthier & forum member) created this guitar to test effects of side ports. It's called "the Corker".

Perhaps he'll wade in with location differences. I've played guitars with side ports which ranged from left ear situated to lower bout (on the side) to feed the right ear. I saw one on the bottom of a guitar (yes, the floor side) and questioned why one would put it there, but the builder was unavailable for comment.

All of them worked as designed. I'd think if there was a side brace exactly where one wanted the port, the hole could be moved/situated to the side of it without harming the sound.

When I had the side port added to my Kronbauer, the luthier asked me where I wanted it, and he looked inside to be sure there were not barriers to doing that and put it where I asked for it. I did the same with both my Seagull S-6 and Recording King when putting side ports in them. Given the flexibility and leeway taken with the front sound holes on acoustics, I think a little tolerance is possible with side ports as well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion