The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I have a guitar that I love, but, it plays a little "stiff"for my taste. I gave these (12-52) on it this weekend, and, frankly, they seem to be even more stiff than the 12-52 D'darios they replaced. While I will give them a week or so to settle, but, so far I am very disappointed in them.

Steve
Try DR Sunbeams. The round core of the wound strings makes for less tension when playing. It's like they play a 1/2 gauge softer than typical light gauge strings.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a guitar that I love, but, it plays a little "stiff"for my taste. I gave these (12-52) on it this weekend, and, frankly, they seem to be even more stiff than the 12-52 D'darios they replaced. While I will give them a week or so to settle, but, so far I am very disappointed in them.

Steve
Well, I played my guitar last night, and, while certainly not any less stiff, it sounds great! Huge voice with great balance. So, I think I will keep them on for now.

Steve
Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Just trying them on my GS8 Taylor, the GHS PB tone is different of SP's or ernie PB, can't tell yet how it last!
Old 10-20-2019, 10:37 AM

How do you like the tone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitMoh View Post
Just trying them on my GS8 Taylor, the GHS PB tone is different of SP's or ernie PB, can't tell yet how it last!
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Well, from my rocky start with these strings, I have come to really like them. I am trying them on all my guitars as it becomes time to change their strings.

I am now very impressed with them, mostly for the huge tone I get from them.

Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 11-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Well, from my rocky start with these strings, I have come to really like them. I am trying them on my guitars as it becomes time to change their strings.

I am now very impressed with them, mostly for the huge tone I get from them.

Steve
Thanks for the update. I generally like GHS strings and will give these a go on a couple of my guitars and see what I think.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Try DR Sunbeams. The round core of the wound strings makes for less tension when playing. It's like they play a 1/2 gauge softer than typical light gauge strings.
Try some GHS Silk and Bronze. They are a low tension and a great, warm sounding string. They might surprise you..they did me.
They work extremely well on guitars that are a bit bright if you have any like that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-11-2019, 07:12 PM

I put a set of 12's on my Farida OT-22. Like them a lot! So much so that I wrote to GHS to see if they planned to offer them for 12 string guitars. I'm always interested in lower tension strings for my 12 stringers. They replied that mine was the first request, but that they would fill special orders.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion