The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 AM

Default Walden Guitars

I have a G3030CE that I'm quite fond of. I've had several exchanges with Jon Lee, the owner and designer of Walden guitars. I got an email from him last night telling me they will release a baritone guitar at NAMM.

I was browing the site and came upon this story on their facilities in China:

http://www.waldenguitars.com/news_20...Interview.html

I'm not crazy about the lower end stuff. The higher end has a noticeable difference in quality and it's well priced for what you get. My 3030 has solid a ceder top, solid Indian rosewood back and sides, ebony bridge and fretboard, bone nut and saddle, graphite bars in the neck, Fishman Ellipse Blend.

Not many choices for guitars with 1 3/4" nut width in the price range I was shopping in. The guitar is opening up nicely.

I looked at the Crafter TB series. Very very similar except the Walden pick up system offers more variety. The neck is thinner, and the finish is not as glossy. On top of that, the Crafter TB's are a just a bit blingy for me. It wouldn't stop me from buying one. Very similar guitars, but I prefer the feel of the Walden neck.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 AM

Default Waldens are good guitars

Not sure about the graphic rods, however. They can make a neck too stiff, and not allow for the normal flexing that a neck does.

Still, I haven't played a high-end Walden for a while. I have an old B-stock D610, which has a Gibson sound. Very nice guitar!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM

I own mid-priced (around $700-$900) guitars from both Walden and Crafter. Different beast...the Walden is an Englemann over Rosewood dread, the Crafter an Englemann over Maple OM. Great value for dollars spent. I've played many much more expensive guitars that these are comparable to. If i was shopping for a baritone with somewhere in the $800-$1200 range I would consider both these brands as long as I could play and compare before purchase.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
Not sure about the graphic rods, however. They can make a neck too stiff, and not allow for the normal flexing that a neck does.

Still, I haven't played a high-end Walden for a while. I have an old B-stock D610, which has a Gibson sound. Very nice guitar!
the normal flexing is what you DON`T want in a neck. the only moving a neck should ever do is with an adjustment of a truss rod. There are some high end guitars that are carbon fiber in the neck with no truss rod. you do NOT want a neck to move on it`s own!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM

I played thieir higher-end all solid mahogany Madeira model and found it to be quite nice and their little T-550 is bascally a Taylor GS Mini at 30% less money.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 12-12-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. I've never heard that before and suspect it applies only to acoustic guitars. Why would you want a neck to flex? Would that not affect its ability to stay in tune?

As a bass player, I would ditch a bass if the neck flexed. It would be a sign of poor quality.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM

Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
the normal flexing is what you DON`T want in a neck. the only moving a neck should ever do is with an adjustment of a truss rod. There are some high end guitars that are carbon fiber in the neck with no truss rod. you do NOT want a neck to move on it`s own!
Ask a luthier about graphite truss rods. Most think they are way too stiff for the wood. A normal neck will flex, depending on the guages of the strings. This is desirable.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Ask a luthier about graphite truss rods. Most think they are way too stiff for the wood. A normal neck will flex, depending on the guages of the strings. This is desirable.
Interesting. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Waldens are good value for money - the all solid Supra Natura and Medera models that is.
I had a G3030CE myself with awesome Fishman ellipse matrix electronics - I never should've sold it.

My G1070 hangs on the wall in my bedroom - it is a good guitar.
Me - I don't fancy the idea of flex in a neck.
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
well I know of two major player luthiers that do not think it is too stiff. yes a normal neck will felx but that does not mean it is desirable. If my neck were to constantly flex or move i would dump it. the only reason a neck should move is via truss rod imo. any other movement does nothing but make a problematic instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion