The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
As for being underrated ... I think so. If you look at any list of top guitarists from VH1 or Rolling Stone, I don't think you'll see him even in the top 25. I think one reason for that is that he doesn't put out songs that are vehicles for killer solo guitar parts. He puts out songs and if a solo is needed, it goes in. If not, it's not stuffed in there for the wow factor.
Yeah, I'd say somewhat overlooked strictly as a guitarist, not by the general audience. I bet more guitar players would cite Peter Green as an influence.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 PM

I think Lindsay used to be under-rated at one time but not anymore. Fleetwood Mac is played on every classic rock and pop radio station around the world. They were an amazing band and I think the combination of British legendary rockers and California rockers was an amazing synthesis. If anyone is under-rated in that band it was the combination of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. Those guys could lay down the groove for someone like Lindsay to play off. His solo with the big Les Paul tone on "Go Your Own Way" is still one of my favorites of the 70s era.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Lindsey himself has said his guitar playing isn't as good as he'd like and he chooses alternate tunings to make up for his short comings. Some people have bashed his early work, when he would simply hit one note over the course of many measures. His guitar sound is unique and not everyone's cup of tea.

As for being underrated ... I think so. If you look at any list of top guitarists from VH1 or Rolling Stone, I don't think you'll see him even in the top 25. I think one reason for that is that he doesn't put out songs that are vehicles for killer solo guitar parts. He puts out songs and if a solo is needed, it goes in. If not, it's not stuffed in there for the wow factor.
40 years of rock. Top 25 is a pretty elite crowd and there's no shame in not being in the top 25*.He may be top 50 and they would be amazing as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Ho boy, that second tune brings back memories, I was in on a boat on the Chena river in Alaska and heard somebody playing Rumors for the first time over on another boat while they were working. I hollered out what album that was and wrote it down. The rest is history, I don't know how many tapes I wore out playing those tunes.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegvt View Post
If anyone is under-rated in that band it was the combination of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. Those guys could lay down the groove for someone like Lindsay to play off. His solo with the big Les Paul tone on "Go Your Own Way" is still one of my favorites of the 70s era.
I was going to go on a similar post as this. I think Lindsay is overlooked sometimes by guitarists simply because he isn't flying out front all over the place in the recordings. Mick and John are absolute monsters of their respected craft and the more upbeat Mac songs are bass and drum heavy. There is nothing wrong with that mind you, that is how Fleetwood Mac sounds, but even though I am a guitar player, when I listen to "Go Your Own Way" simply in my own head, the bass and drums stand out.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion