The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2001, 11:43 PM

Cool HOLY GRAIL! THE SAGA CONTINUES

I went and picked up my 310K today and while at the store I picked up a Baby(reg mahogany) so I didnt have to go back for a while. I really wanted to get home to try out the Baby in the studio where I can really here it. On my way I the house hands full the phone was ringing and on the other end was a young boy that after looking at my caller Id had called about every 15 minutes since I had been gone. The young boy was the grandson of my mentor/teacher/friend. He got the old washburn I sent him that belonged to his grandfather(read return of the holy grail)This young child was so overwhelmed at the return of this guitar that he had only seen pictures of I coulnt beleive that this was a 12 year old boy. It was if he just got his drivers license and someone bought him a new car. His mother on the other line was in tears. he played it over the phone for me and I was floored at this young mans talent with this old guitar and old strings. He told me he would not change the strings because his grand dad had played them. He told me he played a old washburn D-10 but the top was cracked but he was saving his money in order to buy a new guitar. He wanted a new washburn because thats what his Grand dad played and he thought it to be the best. I had put the D-25S on ebay several days ago because it was to big for the wife. I cancelled the auction and sent it out to very talented young man. My 11 children are grown and gone and I bought them all the musical dream of their choice. This child doesnt have that luxury as his mother is a single parent. They are sending me a copy of the picture of Mr Sellers, that old guitar and me. My advice to all is if you have and old guitar thats not being used and just collecting dust find a child and give them the joy of music. Trust me it is a gift that both of you will enjoy. I hope to see that young man someday on stage. Music! The gift that last forever!JW
Old 02-20-2001, 12:53 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

You are just a great man, JW. I'm honored to associate with great individuals like yourself, and other members of the Taylor Forum.

Sending that kid your D-25S was just a really really nice thing to do. It sounds like the kid will truly appreciate his new guitar.

Regards,
J.R. Rogers
Old 02-20-2001, 12:56 AM

Talking

James, you've convinced me. I have an old Takamine G-230. I know a 15 yr. old aspiring guitar player who is struggling with an old beat up electric with worn out frets. That Takamine is his now!

I agree with James, anyone with an old guitar just sitting around, find someone who can't afford one and make them an incredible gift of music! They'll remember it forever. Who knows, maybe they'll return the favor some day when they're rich and famous!

------------------
Later,
Chuck
- Psalm 150
Old 02-20-2001, 07:53 AM

Cool

Im not a great man, but I am very blessed. It did make me feel good to give a gift of music and of heritage to a young man less fortunate than myself. As I looked around my closets last night I found four more that I am giving away. I dont play them and as far as I go I am probobly never will. A couple are old stage guitars that play fine but look pretty bad(to me) the others I just bought on a whim. I know a lot of people on this board have plenty of money and some dont. For those that are finacially able, spend a hundred bucks and buy some kid a Jasmine guitar. Best guitar for under 100 dollars and watch that child grow. It will be the best investment you will ever make! JW
Old 02-20-2001, 11:26 AM
I know that one

JW - thanks again for the reminder of the important things in life. It's not what you have or how much you have but how you use it to hopefully make the world a better place in which to live. I can think of no better way than the gift of music. With Him all things are possible. Thanks and God bless.

Wally
Old 02-20-2001, 12:13 PM

Cool

I called a friend of mine this morning that teaches and ask him to find me his most entusiastic but less fortunante student. He/she must be committed to music and must have a good attitude and to that person I will give a Takamine EF-341. Its scratched up pretty good and has pick marks all the way to the lower bout. But it is in excellent playing condition. and will make some entusiastic child very happy. I have a stack of these same guitars including two still new in the box. I ask my self "what am I going to do with these old guitars?" I play these maybe 6-8 months then grab a new one. The frets show very little wear its just that they dont look as good as a stage guitar should(this shouldnt bother me but it does). But now I think ive found a better use for the old stage guitars. My wife is jumping up and down at the idea as its a good thing first and she gets some space back.Mr sellers gave me a gift and I hate it took so many years to find it. It wasnt the guitar, It was the gift of making a childs dream come true. He did mine through his genorosity of near free lessons(didnt know it then)and his trust to do the right thing with the "Holy Grail" of guitars and turning a talentless kid in the right diretion. To follow in his footsteps would be an honor, but his shoes I could never fill. Give a kid music before he gets a gun. Let him knock em dead on stage instead from the window of a car. JW
Old 02-21-2001, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the story JW. After Sunday it's good to know there is still good news from the Carolinas.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 02-21-2001, 11:18 AM

GRW3 - Sorry for the OT reply, but I hear you.

A Jeff Gordon fan missing the man in black already. This has weighed heavily on me all week; thoughts and prayers to the entire Earnhardt family, racing community and the fans.
Old 02-24-2001, 07:29 AM

Smile

JW,

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Sounds like God has really blessed you and he has certainly blessed us with your wonderful story. I read both of your "Holy Grail" posts and was deeply moved. I will be praising God all day long for the way he opens our eyes. I thank you for the story and the wonderful example you've set. I'm giving the glory to God for giving us his very best, in Christ Jesus.

God Bless you JW for your kind heart and the lesson you & your teacher have shown us!

MJ
Old 02-24-2001, 07:57 AM

Cool

Thank you! I am surely truly blessed. I have my problems like anybody else but God has seen fit for me to have some great things and Im not taking about guitars. A wonderful wife,11 healthy children and 18 grand children and still counting. He has let me see bad time so I would know what good times are but through it all we had love. This is best blessing any man could ever hope for. I have learned how to enjoy the fruits of my labor and as I call it simi-retired at age 44(yes i did get started young first born at age 14 and stair steped from there). I find that time is much more important than money and its not because I have a lot of money either because I dont. This morning if I had to buy a new heat pump I would have to get a short term loan. My wealth lies in family and memories. JW
Old 02-24-2001, 09:36 AM

what do you say?as if my nose isnt runny enough from my cold.....lol......im startin my sat morning just right!an UPLIFTING story/ message/lesson........i can smell my coffee[just about done]....all my kids are kool....wife thinks im great[whoda thunk it!],AND im not in the doghouse for anything[right now!...lol..]and im fixin to play my 810...JAYDUB........YOU DA MAIN!............hey !JR....this IS a KOOL sight!!slide me an address and lets do that neat 10 dollar THANG ya'll was talking bout previosly.....??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion