The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2024, 02:09 PM

Default Acoustic guitar choice for busking

Last year I joined a busking project, focused mostly on traditional european music, from the ubiquitous irish tradition but also french, italian, scottish and so on.

Playing mostly outside with no shelter from the climatic conditions put me in a situation where I need a guitar suited for these often unfriendly conditions that could cause damage to my guitars.

So here I am asking for advice, comments and help.

So far, I'm thinking about getting a cheap guitar, such as a Yamaha FG830 and having a magnetic L.R. Baggs pickup installed.
My thoughts about this choice are that, about sturdiness a laminated body is better than a solid one, of course you have to make compromises with the sound, so I thought of choosing a high end magnetic pickup because its tone is much less influenced by the physics of the instrument than other pickups.

Am I wrong?
Do you know different solutions for playing outdoors nine months a year?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:32 PM

Get a carbon fiber guitar.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 05-20-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic guitar choice for busking

Emerald guitars make just the Instrument for unfriendly conditions. Choose your preferred size guitar and favorite pick up,an appropriate amp and you should be set.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:42 PM

Or you can do without the amp and pickup and get a round neck resonator guitar. It’s no accident that street musicians have been using them ever since they were invented: they’re loud, projective and durable. Get a wood-bodied one to cut down on weight, get a cushioned strap because they’re still kind of heavy, and you’re in business.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-20-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

The problem with CF guitars is the dang things cost so much. The idea of taking a guitar in inclement conditions is you don’t mind if it gets affected. Not a great financial risk.

Plus CF guitars have their own quirks of design (scale, profile, eccentric sound holes) that make them different than other guitars you might be familiar (comfortable?) with. Certainly nice if they fit your hands and your wallet nicely.

(But you won’t get that M1 in one. )
Old 05-20-2024, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

First, welcome to AGF Foglander.
I think you're on the right track with the Yamaha. They're well made and you won't have to worry too much about it. Maybe consider a Martin HPL body, they are pretty rugged. Good luck and let us know what you decide

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-20-2024, 08:43 PM

I play outdoor festivals, amphitheaters and fairs that cover many months of the year. My performance guitars are..... my performance guitars. To me, you play what you're comfortable with wherever you play. No one I know changes instruments just because they're playing a new venue or event. Go with what you know.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:07 PM

I would say that your choice of guitar and pickup should be sufficient. Be mindful of temperature as the concern is not the materials but the glues which hold them together. I suggest playing in shaded areas and not storing your guitar in places where the temperature exceeds 100°F.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

All I know is I'm not giving money to someone playing any D 45 or a 900 series Taylor. If it's a J 45, it had better be beat up. A Martin 00 15 that hasn't lived in a case for thirty years is OK too. Better if it has a name (not yours) carved in it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-21-2024, 07:07 PM

Buy used if you can. Laminate body is a good idea. I've seen Takamine, Yamaha, entry level Taylors, Martin X series, and other imports like Alvarez, etc. Just make sure you like the neck and the tone doesn't irritate you. And, if you can find a common model, all the better. So, when you get hit over the head with it, you'll be able to replace it quickly and cheaply. ;-)
Old 05-21-2024, 08:12 PM

Default Emerald, huh?

Can anyone besides me think of a really good reason for not busking on streetcorners with a three thousand dollar (and up) guitar?
Old 05-21-2024, 08:17 PM

A GS mini would be perfect.
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 05-21-2024, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Used carbon fiber guitar, if you can afford it. I play an older Rainsong H-OM and it sounds great through my Fishman Loudbox Artist. Laminate guitar of your choice, if that’s what you can afford. Only folks like us will know or or have an opinion about what guitar you play. Nobody passing by or listening will know the difference or care, as long as it is in tune and you play/sing reasonably well. Have fun, entertain the crowd and whatever you play will get the job done.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-21-2024, 08:52 PM

Anything that will damage the guitars you already have will damage any guitar you buy.

That tells me that you don't want the guitars you already have to be harmed by weather and want one you can bear to expose to about weather damage, right?

If that's right, any cheap used guitar you like will do.

Busking can face a lot of sonic competition, so get a loud one, probably a dreadnaught. All-solid-wood guitars tend to be louder than laminate. But there are exceptions. For instance, a used arched-back Guild D-25 with no back bracing will be as loud as any all-solid guitar.

You haven't convinced me yet that you really need another guitar, though. Remember: It's hard to kill a good guitar. Sunshine will darken a natural top, but most people like that. Sweat will dull a nitro finish, but wax will bring the shine back. Too much rain in the soundhole will cause some swelling, but you surely know to come in out of the rain. And beyond that, there's just not much that can go wrong.

But busking is certainly a good excuse for getting a new guitar. So if you're heart is set on it, get something that's easily affordable, get out there with it, and expect it to last a long time.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-22-2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:19 PM

For a guitar, any preowned overbuilt sub $ 500 instrument is going to fit. The only electric acoustic I have was purchased with being an all weather, all remote venue as a campfire guitar for SE USA (FL) as primary criteria. Beach towns & I've seen more preowned Ovation Applause/Celebrity instruments played than anything else. Add that they played those without an amp. Busker to me is showing up with a case & beater guitar that sets up well, is a comfortable & overbuilt instrument. The case ends up serving as the tip jar. Busker arrives, performs, packs up & moves on after the show. St Augustine, FL & the old city of a tourist attraction is a backdrop for the performance.

Epiphone, Squier, Fender also have plenty of sub $ 300 instruments that fit the busker concept. Thomann ? Roll the dice on a $ 199 busker/player pack.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_...bundle_set.htm

https://www.thomannmusic.com/roundba...se&filter=true

Last edited by Jimbo00; 05-21-2024 at 09:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion