The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2023, 07:13 PM

Ran out of time so its short.
I think my tacoma needs a neck reset. Getting buzz.on upper frets
Old 12-23-2023, 11:27 AM

Nice playing. Very similar in tone understandably. The Tacoma seems a tad more pronounced string to string if that makes any sense. The Gruhn is a tad deeper so maybe a bit more bass, but not very noticeable.

The neck re-set on a Chief can literally be a 10 minute job.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 12-23-2023, 05:46 PM

First, I have a chip on my shoulder about Gruhn since he sold me a terrible ’40’s Martin D28 once. A very bad experience. So that may color my opinion of the whole project.

But I’m afraid I think these things are just butt ugly. I am (and a lot of players are) fairly traditional in our vision of what makes a guitar attractive, and I love the way guitars look. I leave mine out on their stands all the time because I think they are beautiful. The fact that a lot of builders are making copies of their older guitars suggests that a lot of people yearn for that pre-war esthetic. I might forgive it the off-set sound hole if the entire instrument just didn’t look (to me) awkward. And the headstock logo is just dreadful. That you can go buy a used Tacoma Chief all day for less than a thousand dollars is another issue.

I don’t think the market is going to embrace these things for that kind of money, celebrity players and all.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-23-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
First, I have a chip on my shoulder about Gruhn since he sold me a terrible ’40’s Martin D28 once. A very bad experience. So that may color my opinion of the whole project.

But I’m afraid I think these things are just butt ugly. I am (and a lot of players are) fairly traditional in our vision of what makes a guitar attractive, and I love the way guitars look. I leave mine out on their stands all the time because I think they are beautiful. The fact that a lot of builders are making copies of their older guitars suggests that a lot of people yearn for that pre-war esthetic. I might forgive it the off-set sound hole if the entire instrument just didn’t look (to me) awkward. And the headstock logo is just dreadful. That you can go buy a used Tacoma Chief all day for less than a thousand dollars is another issue.

I don’t think the market is going to embrace these things for that kind of money, celebrity players and all.

To each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not particularly attached to soudhole placement traditions and I never much cared for Martin or most other guitars, tho i dont knock them since plenty folks do. Of all the different guitars i've owned/played over the years, I always came back to my Chief. Tone playability looks.
I've long wanted a nicer tacoma and since they went out of biz that wasn't really an option.
All Gruhn needs to do is fill a niche and sell enough to stay in business. i'm very happy with mine.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:03 PM

The Gruhn sounds a little more full and mellow. Nice playing!

This doesn't have to look like a Martin, or even one of my roundhole Tacomas, to make me smile. Fine woods and worksmanship counts for a lot with me, and I've seen some stunning wood combinations coming out of GG's shop. Face it, it's a quirky guitar! The Tacomas were quirky too. They made fun of their curvy, asymmetrical bridges, but I miss them in this new Gruhn version. I have much prettier guitars to hang on the wall and admire, but the plain brown Chief is the one I like to play the most.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 12-23-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:54 AM

I got Versitar #20 back about a month ago. We're still getting to know each other. It has points I like, and so does my HD-28. Those are the two I bounce back and forth with. I have many other acoustics but they sit in their cases. Gruhn's did return the shattered top to me. I had told them I wanted to frame it as a souvenir. They actually ordered me a special frame and shipped the top back to me in it! I thought that was a nice gesture. As to the top replacement, it's flawless. I can't tell anything was done, other than they use multi layer binding on the top where the original was one white strip. As to any negative comments about the looks of these guitars, I will state that I was not drawn to the looks at all, but once I played it, it impressed me enough to buy it on the spot. I'm not saying it's the greatest guitar in the world, but when I'm in the mood to play it, it is! And if we all agreed on everything, we'd be pretty boring all wearing the same color shirt.

Old 12-24-2023, 12:23 PM

I love it! That framed relic is very artistic, in an abstract way.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 12-24-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdaddy View Post
I got Versitar #20 back about a month ago. We're still getting to know each other. It has points I like, and so does my HD-28. Those are the two I bounce back and forth with. I have many other acoustics but they sit in their cases. Gruhn's did return the shattered top to me. I had told them I wanted to frame it as a souvenir. They actually ordered me a special frame and shipped the top back to me in it! I thought that was a nice gesture. As to the top replacement, it's flawless. I can't tell anything was done, other than they use multi layer binding on the top where the original was one white strip. As to any negative comments about the looks of these guitars, I will state that I was not drawn to the looks at all, but once I played it, it impressed me enough to buy it on the spot. I'm not saying it's the greatest guitar in the world, but when I'm in the mood to play it, it is! And if we all agreed on everything, we'd be pretty boring all wearing the same color shirt.

That’s pretty cool.

Maybe you posted previously and I missed it, but what happened to the top that it needed to be replaced?
Old 12-24-2023, 01:28 PM

It was sold to me in a gig bag. That should never have happened. I blame Gruhn for a gig bag being standard, I blame the sales staff for not offering one (even as an upsell). I blame myself for not insisting on something other than a crappy bag, and I blame UPS for crushing it. There were NO marks on the box, no creases, dents, tire tracks, nothing. It probably just ended up on the bottom of the pile somewhere along the way with a few heavy boxes on top. And no protection from the lunch bag it was sold in.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
And the headstock logo is just dreadful.
I admit that this is the aesthetic change that kind of breaks the deal for me. Do any other makers put hand-drawn random cartoon doodles on their headstocks?

In general re: your post, I think it’s fair to say that we probably won’t see the next Ed Sheeran playing a Versitar. But Gruhn may not have to take over the industry to be “successful.” He just has to make a consistent profit (something Tacoma didn’t manage very well, despite plenty of endorsements and a much more guitar-focused popular music scene).
Old 12-26-2023, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimoe View Post
I admit that this is the aesthetic change that kind of breaks the deal for me. Do any other makers put hand-drawn random cartoon doodles on their headstocks?

In general re: your post, I think it’s fair to say that we probably won’t see the next Ed Sheeran playing a Versitar. But Gruhn may not have to take over the industry to be “successful.” He just has to make a consistent profit (something Tacoma didn’t manage very well, despite plenty of endorsements and a much more guitar-focused popular music scene).
I am in the same camp. What on earth were they thinking? If anything stops me from buying one, it is that. It would have to be superlative in some major way for me to buy, probably related to gigging. Such as less feedback issues. I don't know if that is the case.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:17 PM

Epilogue: I played the Versitar off and on for a while but I spent more time with my other acoustics, mainly an off the rack 2015 HD-28. I sent the Versitar to Gruhn’s and they sold it on consignment.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Hey Wade,
Locust sounds like every other new hardwood that appears:
"Like a cross between mahogany and rosewood"

You're welcome,
Jimmy
It, with a dozen other woods, has been touted as a Brazilian substitute. I have played just one, made by McKnight, and would not make that claim. It was a very nice guitar with a middleish sound to my ears, neither on the rosewood or mahogany side of the spectrum.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I guess it takes all types. I remember when this thread was first posted. My reaction was that is one ugly guitar. Hearing the sound of these models just reinforces that perception. But as always, YMMV.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-29-2024, 06:05 AM

I love the idea of George building these. I'm going to make a point of running over and playing one this year. If they are as good as many people say, I'll bring one home. I wonder if they have stainless frets? That would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion