The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Default New To acoustics question fuss about short scale guitars

What is all the fuss about short scale or 12 Fret models... I can claim complete ignorance... I am sure I will get it when you fill in the blanks...

Ol school
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Short scale is not the same as 12 fret. The scale measurement is from the nut to the saddle; "short scale" means that this length is 25" or slightly less. ("regular" scale is around 25-1/2 or 25-5/8.)

A 12-fret guitar is one that has twelve frets between the nut and the body of the guitar. It can have a short scale or regular scale.

A short-scale guitar will have slightly less tension on the strings, which can make a guitar easier to play. A 12 fret guitar typically has a larger body which lends itself to fuller sound and a bit richer bass.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:10 PM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast

What Sachi says is a good description.
My Martin dreadnought will always be my favorite, but the older I get, I find the shorter scale models all easier to play (and they're often more comfortable to play while sitting on the couch watching the kids play, or watching tv).
Part of it also is I suppose I play more finger style now (frets closer together) and they dont make my shoulder hurt as much.

"Nothing is more important than this day...."
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

For me, the short scale does make a guitar easier to play because of the slightly shorter distance between the frets. For fingerstyle playing, the softer sound of the strings from the reduced string tension is not a negative, though for people who are strummers, short scale guitars may not have the character they want.

Twelve-fret to-the-body guitars may have an elongated body, as my Martin 000-28VS has, or they may have a standard body, but because of the change in position of the bridge location, the bridge usually ends up on the top in the middle of the bass bout where the guitar's top is most flexible. Whether the guitar has an elongated body or not, the 12-fret approach tends to create guitars with more bass and bass warmth.

The negative of the 12-fret design is that there may be reduced access to the upper frets. My Martin 000-28VS does not have a cutaway, but my Taylor 12-Fret does. The cutaway helps address the problems of upper fret access.

Regards, Glenn
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM

If ease of play is important, you may get more of that from a short-scale (playing fingerstyle, you may be able to reach & fret clearly 6 frets). But short-scales are mostly known for the characteristic quick decay of their sound (the fundamental of the note is not as muddied with overtones running all over it) which is thought to be more complimentary to vocal accompaniment.
You're probably not talking about a "banjo killer" here, but for tight, rhythmic
chord chunkin', it's all about it.

(ps- I'm a human)

Last edited by WiseAxe; 01-21-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Comfort N Mojo

I like a 12 fret short scale for the comfort of playing......That said, I can't find a newer 12 string 12 fret short scale, other than a custom build.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM

if you want to get a sense of what a short scale feels like, drop your guitar one half step and put the capo on the first fret. You'll have about the same tension and distance between frets as a short scale. Again, a short scale may have the neck/body joint at the twelfth, fourteenth, or even thirteenth fret so that [art is irrelevant here, just concentrate on tension and fret distance.

If you want to experience a 12 fret, drop your guitar another half step and put the capo at the second fret. Now you're playing a guitar with the neck/body joint at fret twelve except that the scale length will be shorter. You'll still be able to get a sense of what, if anything, you lose by having a 12 fret neck/body joint.
that's me on guitar
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Lord love us, you can get shot for asking questions like that round here!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Smile

Thank you everyone. That helps a lot... Sounds like a short scale with a cutaway would be nice... Who makes em..Oh oh

Looks like I may need gas-x. Hehe

Really enjoying this forum.

Ol School
Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Easier playability, mellower tone, all good in other words.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM

I love/hate the way people imply "rules" to 12 fret and/or short scale guitars.

If the same set of strings are on a shorter scale guitar, the tension will be less. By using different weight strings, it's possible to have a wide range of tensions depending on the scale length.

12 fret guitars are *typically* made in one of 2 ways... Martin started out making 12 fret guitars and then introduced 14 fret models. Basically, they shortened the upper bout by 2 frets. The result is that the body length is slightly shorter. The other way, is to start with a shortened body (like a 14 fret) and to move the bridge down the body so it is closer to the endblock. A Larrivee Parlor is a good example of this. But, there are many variations on these two approaches depending on the maker.

Short scale guitars can be either 12 or 14 (or 13) fret. 12 fret guitars can be any scale length... even long scale baritone!

The number of frets clear and the scale length can affect the ergonomics and depending on the builder can affect the tone. It's tough to come up with hard and fast rules about what will or won't work for you.

Ed
Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol School View Post
What is all the fuss about short scale or 12 Fret models... I can claim complete ignorance... I am sure I will get it when you fill in the blanks...

Ol school
Hi OS...
Well not all of us are knocked out by 12 fret nor short scale guitars. I think there's less 'fuss' than you perceive…both are selective sub-groups of both guitars and players.

And one guy's short scale is another's normal scale; especially really old and sometimes cranky Gibson fans who hate having their 24.75'' guitars referred to as short-scale.

Most of us are pretty traditional and don't hear the subtle nuances of difference in tone between 12 or 13 or 14 fret necked guitars, nor do we find the lowered tension of a short scale to our liking.

But we still like those other guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Lots of good info here, but not mentioned yet is that, generally, a longer scale will result in an increase in volume. Also, a shorter scale will (usually) maker string bending a bit easier.

These are all generalities though and every guitar is different.

D.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi OS...
especially really old and sometimes cranky Gibson fans who hate having their 24.75'' guitars referred to as short-scale.

Hey, I resemble that remark
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
Lots of good info here, but not mentioned yet is that, generally, a longer scale will result in an increase in volume. Also, a shorter scale will (usually) maker string bending a bit easier.

These are all generalities though and every guitar is different.

D.
Neither of these are generally true.

It amazes me how little most people know about guitars and how opinions are based on something other than experience.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion