The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Bridge pins for Baby/Big Baby.

I am interested in replacing the bridge pins on my Baby/Big Baby. I have some ebony Taylor pins, but they do not seem to fit very cleanly. The shape and size of the plastic pins used on these guitars seem to be different than "standard", whatever standard size is.

Any suggestions for this?

Thanks.

Jim D
Old 12-31-2004, 11:54 AM

Hi Jim!

I had the same thoughts as you when I replaced my Big Baby Pins. However even though they are shorter and smaller, the Ebony Pins fit quite OK, even though they aren't as 'snug' as the plastic ones. I never had one pop out yet! It also helps to slightly rotate the Pins when inserting as suggested on the Taylor Website Tech Sheet Pages.

Here's a comparison pic for others to see.

Best,

Waldo
Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 PM

I replaced the BB plastic pins with an ebony set from Taylor. They said I would have to sand them down a bit, but mine all fit OK and haven't come out yet.

It did make a nice differeence in the sound.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Thanks.

I will try the Taylor ebony pins I have. Perhaps I did not spend enough time on this. Thanks for the information.

Jim D
Old 01-01-2005, 05:05 PM

IMO the plastic pins Taylor uses for the Baby and Big Baby are inferior and should be replaced immediately, even if with other plastic pins. The stock pins get stuck way too easily, and at least one broke off in the bridge when I tried to remove it.

I've replaced those pins in a Baby and Big Baby with Taylor's stock ebony pins, and while they fit kind of loose when the strings are slack, they snug up just fine once the strings are at tension. IMO they also improve the tone, more on the Big Baby than the Baby, but in both cases the high overtones are calmed down and the guitar sounds warmer.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:58 PM

IMO they also improve the tone, more on the Big Baby than the Baby, but in both cases the high overtones are calmed down and the guitar sounds warmer.

Once again, Chris is "right on the money" with his comments!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion