The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2024, 10:21 PM

Default LR Baggs M1a vs M80

Hey folks,

Trying to figure the difference between the Baggs M1 Active vs. the M80 sound hole pickups ? Use would be in a Martin 000 (Adi/RW) and mahogany/spruce Gibson.

The guitars will be used gigging in a loud, classic rock band but also want to use them both in a solo, not quite unplugged, type of venue.

Also looking at Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pickup.

Currently have an LR Baggs HiFi installed in the Gibson and am on the fence about it. Seems to be low output and overly bright.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:56 PM

I don't use either of those two Baggs offerings but I have others. For performance I prefer my Fishman Rare Earth Blend. Your needs may vary.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

I had the M1 passive version about 15 years ago. For what you describe, it could work. Doing all the signal processing outboard may be better in your rock band situation than an active system. Also, the adjustable poles of the Baggs are an advantage over the Fishman. They mean that you can balance the p/u for the specific string sets you use.

The Baggs unit has a small jack to connect it to the lead running internally to the endpin jack socket. You can easily remove the Baggs and set up other guitars with the same endpin jack system. So use the unit in more than one guitar.

For your quieter solo gigs you could use the M1. Or just take it out of the guitar sound hole (in about 60 seconds) and use a stage mic'.

I'm not sure if you need all the "magnatronic" features of the Baggs. I liked the $35 or so Artec with adjustable poles because it picked up less of the guitar body resonance. And I could do what I wanted with the signal outboard. It was a single coil, which isn't a problem in the UK / Europe but I think that you have a more problematic electricity supply system in the USA?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-27-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

I have the M1a's and they are exceptional imo, i also have the iBeams and I like them but the M1a far exceeds the iBeam for being extremely quiet and not prone to feedback/outside influence ( the humbuckers do their job very well). The 2nd floating humbucker (lower one) is really really good at picking up percussive taps on top/side/etc and almost adds a chorusy type of fullness to the sound (very close to having a 2nd internal mic- but better imo) The M1a is much better that the fishman powertap (imo) the powertap is overkill and doesnt produce a "real' sound imo. The poles on the M1a come set very low on the 1st and 2nd strings and at first you may think they need to be closer to strings when you first install her but play it first and i think you may find the lower pole position on those strings is perfect ( we all have our own ears though and each guitar is different) Overall i would give the M1a a 10/10.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 04-27-2024, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

I have tried several soundhole pickups and didn’t really like any of them. But the group did include the M1a and the M80

Between the two of them, my preference is the M1a.

In an attempt to capture the body resonance, the M80 made my dread sound like I was playing in a corrogated drain pipe. I had made the mistake of selling my M1a when I ordered the M80. If you’re in a position to try before you buy, do so.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I've gigged both the M1a and M80. Compared them before selling the M1a.

The M80 has more body sensitivity and produces a lower pitched thump if you hit the body. It is a little more 3 dimensional according to Teja Gerkin at Acoustic Guitar Magazine.
The M80 can be used active or passive and has a battery check.

The M1a has a higher pitched thump (kinda like the sound of a high pitched bongo). Can only be used active.

For me, I sold the M80 and re-bought the M1a.

A similar question like yours was asked on the LR Baggs forum and Caleb from Baggs said something like, for a rock band on a loud stage, the M1a would be better fit.

Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 04-27-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:17 PM

I've used the M1A on & off in several guitars for a bunch of years & like it. I think the sound quality is good for a soundhole PU & really like it for its resistance to feedback in pretty much any situation I've played in. Can be pretty much plug-n-play for most venues. I liked the idea of an active PU when I bought it but these days I'd probably go with the M1 passive as I have a good preamp that I use with the passive UltraTonic in my "gigging" guitar now.

I have had trouble fitting it in anything other than a dread, though. I have been able to squeeze it into an OM-21 & it's a really tight fit in my 00-18. I basically had to take the "wings" that hold it in the hole, off the PU, & reassemble the whole thing once the body of the PU is in the soundhole. It can be a PITA but it is doable.

Frank
Old 04-27-2024, 08:55 PM

I used a passive M1 in a dred in the context of a folk/world music band with hand drums, electric bass, and a second electric guitar for many years, and it was great. Two years ago I switched to an M80, which I play passive through the same preamp/DI unit I used with the M1. I like it better. I think it's what jricc called the "lower-pitched thump." I mostly play rhythm, and it gives me a somewhat bigger, more resonant sound. Your mileage may vary, but I think they are both really good magnetic pickups. A little more sensitive to feedback than some others, but completely manageable if you pay attention to where the monitors are, and if you don't play with the body of the guitar too close to the bass amp!

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification