The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-27-2024, 04:53 PM

Default Beginner flat picking songs for solo singer/guitarist

I just learnt ‘In Dreams’ (Alternate version) by Sierra Ferrell. I’m looking for similar style songs where a single guitar plays both the rhythm and throws in some lead parts, and also has vocals. Basically I want to sing, play guitar and the lead on my ownsome. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/-tkAdRG4QLE?si=tH4ljLpzLsLrqUQY

Last edited by Bullock; 03-27-2024 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Link not working
Old 03-27-2024, 07:20 PM

Hi Bullock,

You can play just about ANY song that way. The secret pass phrase that gets you through the door is "Carter style."

Here's a good place to start:

https://www.flatpick.com/product_p/2444.htm

Get the basics for Carter style leads into your toolbox and you'll have the tools to do what you are describing with any song you happen to like.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM

Have you tried Tony Rices Church Street Blues? JK I gave up after the intro part. Seriously there are a lot of good ones out there that are simple. Start what ever one you pick at 1/4 speed we've all been there.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:52 PM

Sorry man couldn’t leave you hanging with my joke. Red Haired Boy is good it has a lot of repetitive parts in the A part. No vocals but there are plenty of those out there. The thing with flat picking is as the speed picks up so does the difficulty. That’s why a lot of metal players admire flatpickers because the absolutely know the difficulty of playing fast and clean.

Watch any good clean flatpicker and if they show their right hand watch the wrist rotation which is quick and subtle but it allows you to escape to the next string. Good luck and have fun but never stop trying and learning.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Here's one to have a go at. You don't have to play it note for note as you can simplify the flatpicking runs and cross picking. Then, over time (years rather than months) , embellish your performance as you get more building blocks in place.

Basically, this is a good approach to all this Carter style playing - start learning the song with a simple flag picked accompaniment and then add stuff over the years to your arrangement.

I play this style of flatpick song accompaniment for pretty much all the songs I sing. Except when I'm Travis picking.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Here's one to have a go at. You don't have to play it note for note as you can simplify the flatpicking runs and cross picking. Then, over time (years rather than months) , embellish your performance as you get more building blocks in place.

Basically, this is a good approach to all this Carter style playing - start learning the song with a simple flag picked accompaniment and then add stuff over the years to your arrangement.

I play this style of flatpick song accompaniment for pretty much all the songs I sing. Except when I'm Travis picking.
Saw them a couple of months back. He has a lovely, subtle touch as a guitar player (mando and fiddle too). Class act - I even stole one of his gags.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 03-28-2024, 08:32 AM

Two of my favorite singing and flatpicking songs were made famous by Ola Belle Reed - "I've Endured" and "High on a Mountain". Tim O'Brien and Hot Rize covered these too.

Any flatpicking song can be as difficult as you want to make it, but with a few major pentatonic runs (aka G run, C run), some hammer ons and 7ths you can make it recognizable and do it justice.

Some more of my favorites:
Been All Around this World (Foghorn String Band or Hot Rize version)

Georgia on a Fast Train (Billy Joe Shaver)

Dark Hollow

I've Lived a Lot in my Time (bluegrass version, NOT Jim Reeves)

Grandpa Was a Carpenter and Please Don't Bury Me (John Prine)
And lots more. You can do a lot of old country and folk songs in a flatpicking style. Just about every note you need to pick the melody is right there in the chord shape you're holding. I'll frequently pick out the melody while keeping the beat at the same time. It might sound hard but if you keep at it, it becomes intuitive.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-28-2024, 09:06 AM

https://musicwithryan.com/

Lots of Carter style here.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:58 AM

Great suggestions above.

I love playing this song, especially the catchy little guitar bridge at 0:34: Guitar Town

The guitar riff on this sounds cool on acoustic, and the unusual timing is fun: You Don't Love Me

Variations on the simple little blues riff that kicks this off fit a thousand songs: Deep Ellum Blues

And speaking of The Boys, Jerry's flat-picked guitar part on this is easy, evocative, and emotional (the three E's), and playing solo, it's not hard to combine the lead and rhythm: Ripple

And audiences get a kick out of it when someone pulls this out: Tennessee Waltz

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-28-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Great suggestions above.

And audiences get a kick out of it when someone pulls this out: Tennessee Waltz
Ha Charlie!!!! You have just given me the answer for a song for the solo spot I'm doing at a concert in a couple of weeks time.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandmar View Post
Sorry man couldn’t leave you hanging with my joke. Red Haired Boy is good it has a lot of repetitive parts in the A part.
Glad you didn't leave him hanging, loving me some Red Haired Boy!

Was just thinking I'd like to see if I could get started w/ some bluegrass style playing and this hits the spot.
-----
For attempting to learn how to record:
  • Interface: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
  • DAW: Presonsus StudioOne Artist
  • Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 (windows 11)
  • Mics: Shure SM 57 and 58, Behringer C-2 pair
  • P'up: K&K (J45)
Old 04-05-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Ha Charlie!!!! You have just given me the answer for a song for the solo spot I'm doing at a concert in a couple of weeks time.
Made my day!

=O]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
bluegrass, country, flatpicking, sierra ferrell