The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2024, 11:02 AM

Default New Shure dynamic vocal microphone - Nexadyne!

Hey guys,

Any thoughts on the new Shure dynamic vocal mic (series) they released - a cardiod and supercardiod.

Promises to be beyond a Beta58 - from what I'm hearing this could be game changing - handheld condenser like detail without the feedback and stage pickup...?

This link is the best demo so far out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-d...nel=SeanDaniel

Official launch vids from Shure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE8N...UJTmV4YWR5bmUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M4J...=ShureCreators
Old 05-01-2024, 12:36 PM

Hard to judge it by the Youtube demo, but to me it sounds very edgy, almost like the mic in a smartphone. It has a distinctive "telephone" sound that doesn't appeal to me, at least in these demo videos.

I wonder if the new design has less (or more) proximity effect. I didn't hear any mention of that, and it's one of the more prominent design issues with dynamic mics.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I have a KSM8. I used it during Pandemic days. I would bring my own mic to open mics.

Now days I just bring my own mic condom. It’s too much trouble to always swap out microphones.

I’d be interested in more comparison reviews to other mics

Last edited by Marshall; 05-02-2024 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. The demo sounds like they went for a “pre-EQ’d” sound but went too far and lost any warmth or subtlety.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:37 PM

It'd be nice to hear a compared-to-what. SM58 versus the new thing. Anyone who buys one, that's the first thing they're gonna do.

Late edit -- there's this demo:

The guy shows you 58 vs SM7 vs the new one. Based on this, I think that a lot of people who have learned to work well with the 58 proximity effect won't like the new one much. And yes, the new one is "cleaner" in the upper mids, but it's also boring-er.

I do a lot of FOH mixing and venue livestreaming, so I'm sure I'll start seeing them. I'll report back.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 05-01-2024 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It'd be nice to hear a compared-to-what. SM58 versus the new thing. Anyone who buys one, that's the first thing they're gonna do.
The third Youtube link in the original post does exactly that.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The third Youtube link in the original post does exactly that.
You type faster than me :-).

Couch Standards
Old 05-01-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I have a KSM8. I used it during Pandemic days. Ie bring your own mic to open mics.

Now days I just bring my own mic condom. It’s too much trouble to always swap out microphones.
I also use the KSM8. The excuse for it was easy during the pandemic. Now I just tell the sound guy it's my pacifier and see if he doesn't mind swapping it out for me. They almost always don't mind. The one guy who did mind . . . well, he had the KSM8 anyway.

I love how it keeps the right amount of proximity effect for the way I use the mic.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:20 AM

I think the comparisons should be made to at least Beta58's and perhaps more appropriately the Sennheiser 900 series and the AKG D7, and other higher end dynamics like the Heil PR35 and Earthworks mics, and maybe Shure's own KSM8 and maybe the Beta87. It's a $299 mic, and should be compared to other $200+ mics.

The SM58 is a great all rounder, but it's not a great microphone in terms of tone. A Beta58 to me is the modern standard for decent clarity and detail vs. feedback and picking up stage noise.

For my own voice the go-to's are the more expensive Sennheiser 945 and AKG D7, they allow much more fidilety and expression than a SM58.

HOWEVER, these are more prone to feeding in the high-end, if the new Nexadyne can give similar detail and clarity with less feedback and spill it should be a winner.

Another issue would be reliabilty - will it be comparable to similar priced dynamics, or will it be more fragile because of its twin motors, like some higher-end handheld condensers ? (Sennheiser e965, Neumann KSM etc)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:25 AM

Another thing - I'm wondering how much the C (cardoid) and S (supercardiod) versions differ in tone, use and picking up stage noise in practie.

Tempted to order one, but can't decide which model...

The infomercial harps on about how the technology increases rejection and tightens the polar pattern, so maybe for me the Cardiod would be good enough and be a bit easier to work with (more relaxed mouth position), even though I normally prefer supercardiods).

Interesting that they didn't go for a switchable design like the Sennheiser e965 - you can switch between cardiod and supercardiod. It must therefore be a physical capsule design thing right?
Old 05-02-2024, 06:35 AM

I’m hearing a lot more plosive popping in the new mic demos, especially the super cardiod one. Of course you could use a foam windscreen on it, but you shouldn’t need to.

One of my favorite things about the Shure Beta57A and Beta58A mics is that you can get cheap knockoff windscreen balls on eBay for just a couple of dollars each.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One of my favorite things about the Shure Beta57A and Beta58A mics is that you can get cheap knockoff windscreen balls on eBay for just a couple of dollars each.
BEWARE! You can compare windscreens with a flashlight. Stick a lit flashlight inside and see how big the "corona" is. Bigger is better, smaller is worse. With those 2-dollar cheapies, you'll get pop suppression but no mid-hi fidelity at all. Better off using a Ziploc.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 05-02-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm wondering how it compares to the KSM8. Seems like similar technology. Dual diaphragms. They are still showing the KSM8. It's more expensive than the Nexadyne. Better?
Old 05-05-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I have a KSM8. I used it during Pandemic days. I would bring my own mic to open mics.

I’d be interested in more comparison reviews to other mics
Open mic sound persons have had more tolerance for mic swapping since covid hit. Needless to say, it’s still a bit of a PITA for the soundperson, since gain and/or EQ adjustments will likely be needed.

Unfortunately, using a familiar (to the performer) mic is also necessary for performers who insist on using a vocal harmonizer, since the gain setting on the harmonizer needs to be set at a “sweet spot” which requires some experimentation to locate. It’s also helpful to use a dynamic mic with a tight pattern to minimize harmonization of the guitar sound while the vocal is being harmonized.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:50 AM

I supervise the sound crew at a venue that's been doing an open mic for 25 years, and it's very fast-paced. BYO mics are actually encouraged there, as long as they'll fit in a 58-size clip. No Elvis mics or Edwinas.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification