The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2024, 01:45 PM

Default Looking for Amp Advice After Going Down the Research Rabbit Hole

My buddy invited me to play at his farmers market gig last weekend, and I had a blast despite the nerves. In preparation I borrowed his L1 Compact for a week to practice. I had practically zero experience playing amplified prior to this. I never would have guessed how much amplification would help with my playing / singing.

I'd like to put something together for the house so I can utilize amplification as a tool to improve and be more comfortable with playing out amplified in the future. I've been doing a ton of reading about amp options and trying to figure out what to get. I'm no stranger to flipping gear, but buy once cry once is also real. Can you folks provide some advice/recommendations on this front? Again, I've been reading everything I can find on the forum, but feel like it's narrowed down to these options based on real world performance. I'm going to GC tonight to do some hands on listening.

The options I'm tossing around are as follows:

1) Fishman Loudbox Artist is $800 new, ~$660 open box, and $400-$550 used. It seems to be a step up from the Mini in many ways, and I would go this route over the Mini in case I end up playing out more regularly. Could be used as a monitor in the future if I upgraded.

2) Bose L1 Compact. I wish they were still available new, though they can be found used for $600-700. I realize it will require a mixer for reverb and master volume. This takes the cost $700 to $800. Sounds great, but I think I read Bose won't service them any longer.

3) Bose S1 Pro+ is $700 and takes care of the reverb and mixer. The wireless option is cool, but drives up the price. Battery is nice, but not a necessity. Could be used as a monitor in the future or for a second speaker.

4) EV Everse 8 $749 new or $630 open box. Seems to get a lot of praise. Battery is nice, but not a necessity. Could be used as a monitor in the future or for a second speaker.

5) Elite Acoustics EAE D6-8 PRO seems like a good option with built in mixer and high quality build/sound for $900-$1000, but they're out of stock. I like that it has more than 2 inputs for playing with others.

6) Evolve 30M open box option $1,099. I don't need this, but the upgrades from the four options above for not much more money make it enticing. Seems like it would be overkill for home practice, but it's not much more weight than the L1 Compact. Again, I like the idea of more than 2 inputs for playing with others and not needing a separate mixer.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

They are all very good to excellent systems, each with their own sound. I had an Artist, an S1 original and am currently using the Everse 8. I liked them all and did head to head comparisons.

The Artist sounds like an amp, a very good amp, but an amp. Not as easy to get up high on a stand like the other speakers.

The Bose S1 original sounded very hi-fi and was smooth, but didn't always handle the venues I play volume wise.

The Everse is not as hi-fi as the S1, sounds more like a traditional PA speaker, but it still sounds good. It has a lot more going on in its mixer and app, plus it is louder than the S1.

No experience with the stick systems, but a lot of people like them.

You can't go wrong with any of your choices, just depends on what you want out of the system.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 05-01-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:29 PM

You've got it in about the right order from my experience. I get more questions and compliments when I use my Fishman Loudbox Artist than anything.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:13 PM

I love my Cube EX.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Fishman SoloAmp 220 (pretty old, bought used) that has great sound, but only 2 inputs. I've used it with a board for more inputs but it's not the ideal set up.

If I was looking for something today for 2 inputs I'd be thinking about that Loudbox or the Spark Live!
Old 04-29-2024, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

If vocals are important, a small mixer plus an onsale Yamaha DBR10 for $320 will probably get you to
at least just below the EV30M...soundwise I know I liked it better than the
L1 Compact...and I love Bose.

There are some options for frfr speakers vs the DBR10, but we are
getting picky.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:15 PM

For home and potentially taking out later I'll double up with the DBR10 and a small mixer. If you dare to record, go for a MG10XU. My only beef with the L1C is that it doesn't sound so good if you have to get real loud. And there's no phantom power (my PADI needs it and I occasionally use condenser mics live -- yeah I'm that guy).

I had a Yamaha Stagepas 1K. It was nice to be able to set up quickly but there was something lacking in the midrange. I've considered an EV30M to replace it.

You may want to check out an LR Baggs Synapse. It will make your guitar sound like a million bucks. I had one of those and sold it because I needed the money more than I used it.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:20 PM

To add if you are on more of a budget but still want a good small amp, you could look at the Bugera AC60 2-Channel Acoustic Instrument Combo Amplifier (60W, 1x8"). It punches way above its $230 (shipped) price.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:04 PM

Go used fishman artist and call it a day. Perfect for home and small gigs.
Nobody here buys once cries once. You can always flip when you get big.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for Amp Advice After Going Down the Research Rabbit Hole

The Elite D6-58 ( not exactly the model you quoted) is a step above the others, tho pricy. I can’t say enough about its quality sound & mixer capabilities. Easy on the ears, for guitar and vocal.
EV8 is nice for lightweight and battery powered.
The pole systems are their own thing, nice but not always convenient.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
To add if you are on more of a budget but still want a good small amp, you could look at the Bugera AC60 2-Channel Acoustic Instrument Combo Amplifier (60W, 1x8"). It punches way above its $230 (shipped) price.
+1 for the Bugera. It's a ridiculous amount of value for the price, is handy and perfect for home practice, is a great choice as a monitor and has XLR out (as well as line out) for connecting to a larger system. If budget were a consideration it'd be a great way to dip your toe in it. I forgot mine at a friend's house in another city just before the pandemic, and she liked it so much she bought it from me (I replaced mine). She uses it for small gigs and as a monitor for larger ones.

I've used that as well as the orignial S1, the L1 Compact, the Everse 8 and the 30m, the latter being my main ride. All the systems you list are good and there are lots of good recommendations here. In addition to the intangibles about just liking a system, it comes down to where you think you'll be playing and a little guesswork about what happens after that. Fortunately you have your GC visit so that should help narrow it down for you. Fun, and good luck!
Old 04-30-2024, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Duplicate post

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-30-2024 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Having a good quality compact mixer can be very handy. You can get them with effects, 48v phantom power, e/q and notch filters, xlr, jack, phono and USB in/out, and line level out. Basically, everything you would want any acoustic amp/pa to have plus+.

You then have something you can use at home (recording as well as rehearsal) and take to any gig. Always giving you a familiar set up wherever you are.

What speaker system you run the mixer to is then optional. You could have a small powered speaker for home, larger for gigs, or double up (same for both). Also, if the venue has a house pa you can just run your mixer as a di into that.

All in one systems, like those on your list, are sexy. But a more modular system of compact mixer and powered speaker(s) can perhaps be a bit more flexible in the longer term.

I have a couple of cheap shop branded powered speakers (Gear4Music), a compact 4 channel mixer (solo gigs) and a compact 12 channel mixer (band gigs). I have had the system for about 15 years now and I have run monthly open mic's, indoor and outdoor gigs, community events, weddings, pub sessions, parties etc with it. I even take one of the speakers to our MVC concerts each month and plug the electric piano directly into it.

For me, going pragmatic rather than sexy has got me out of the house and using the kit far more than I have ever found use for the Marshall AS50 all in one acoustic guitar amp that I also have had for years (and is gathering dust!).

I am thinking of upgrading the 4 channel mixer soon to a EAE StompMix 4 because it has some extra features that will be useful for me. And I need a new set of tripod stands for the speakers. But everything is working well. I did replace the 10" driver in one of the cabinets a few years ago (not difficult or expensive) as it was starting to get raspy.

Anyway, that's got you thinking!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-30-2024 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:09 AM

Yes you need to amplify the reason is everything sounds different and it can throw you off at first...
I keep it simple...
Galaxy PA300 Column array Battery powered or ac
TC Helicon Performer VG For vocal and guitar effects
Microphone Usually because of the clarity a Se V3
Power Pak to run everything that doesn't have a battery

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-30-2024, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

All in one systems, like those on your list, are sexy. But a more modular system of compact mixer and powered speaker(s) can perhaps be a bit more flexible in the longer term...

For me, going pragmatic rather than sexy has got me out of the house and using the kit far more than I have ever found use for the Marshall AS50 all in one acoustic guitar amp that I also have had for years (and is gathering dust!).
I don't think this "pragmatic versus sexy" theme is effective. Different things work for different people in different scenarios.

For example, a major appeal of my 30m is its ridiculously quick and hassle-reducing setup with its built-in mixer and under a minute assembly of its driver column into the sub. As a solo guy it has plenty of inputs for any guest artists who might pop in. No outboard mixer setup/stand/cables and a cleaner stage. These operational factors were the major reasons I acquired it, other than its outstanding sound amplification and sturdy construction. That plus I didn't want to be hoisting a 37-pound 15-inch PA on top of a speaker pole for my larger gigs.

Is that sexy or pragmatic?

Outboard mixers combined with conventional speakers on stands are also awesome. For one thing with the right combination, you can get outstanding sound amplification at a lower price given the right combination, and if the dispersion isn't as wide as the best Bose or even EV options, well it isn't always required or noticed either.

Anyway I could spin out pro and con scenarios for any piece of kit. It's always possible to buy too much (no one in this thread has ever done that of course, certainly not me), but you get the idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification