The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2022, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Furch neck spec's vs Taylor

I've been searching and cannot find anything definitive regarding the thickness at the 1st fret and it seems the regular soft V is not really a V at all.

I've also read they may be wider at the higher frets.

I'd like to snag one used and give it a run, but neck profiles are a big deal to me. I've been playing Taylors for a lot of years and prefer something as close to that as possible.

Can any of you that own Taylor AND Furch comment?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2022, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I own a variety of guitars and the Furch's neck profile doesn't have any affect on my playing vs the others. It isn't a V. I like modified low oval profiles and it feels fine to me.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 02-15-2022, 09:43 PM

I currently have a Furch and have owned several Taylors in the past. The only spec you mention is depth at the 1st fret. I find Furch's to be a tad thicker at that point, but not so much so that you'd be likely to notice a ton of difference. To me, if you get along with taylors, you'll probably be just fine with a Furch. The nut width is a tad wider. They list it at 45mm, which is 1.77", compared to Taylor, which is 1.75". It's a subtle difference, but Furch works better for me in that regard. String spacing at the bridge is wider than Taylor. Not by much, but enough that I find it better for fingerstyle. Just be aware it will feel a little wider as you move up the neck.

Hope that helped.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Thank you.

Yes, I've read the neck is on the slimmer side. The nut width should be ok.

jklotz, you mentioned wider string spacing, but both list that as 2 3/16". I've read elsewhere about wider fretboard in the higher register.

There is a short scale Furch on the verb, and I never see those. I am a fan of scale lengths of less than 25" as a rule.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
I've been searching and cannot find anything definitive regarding the thickness at the 1st fret and it seems the regular soft V is not really a V at all.

I've also read they may be wider at the higher frets.

I'd like to snag one used and give it a run, but neck profiles are a big deal to me. I've been playing Taylors for a lot of years and prefer something as close to that as possible.

Can any of you that own Taylor AND Furch comment?

Thanks in advance!
I would say they are similar, but the Furch is more comfortable without that sorta sharpness to the shoulder, fretboard edge that the Taylors all have. I don;t think there is much at all of a V feel, despite Furch's own description calling it a V. The Furch is more comfortable but very similarly modern in it's feel and shape. It's NOTHING like a classic round Gibson or chunkier Martin-ish vintage feeling type neck.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:23 AM

I have both and they are pretty transparent to me. The Furch basically feels like a "C" shape with only the slightest feel of a "V". I find the Furch neck profile to be extremely smooth and comfortable.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I currently own a Furch G23SR and have owned several Taylors (still have one). The necks are very similar, and if you are comfortable with one, you will probably like the other. For the life of me, I still cannot figure out why Furch lists their neck profile as a V shape. (Maybe it is a translation thing from Czech to English). In no way would I describe it that way. I would call it a flat D to C shape - at least on the three I have played, plus the one I own.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:47 AM

I have gotten used to any guitar I’ve ever played. I had a fellow inquire on a guitar I had for sale once..he asked the nut width ...i said 1 3/4. He said no he wanted 1 7/8...really...1/8 th of inch was a deal breaker..? Granted if your used to a Taylor.. a fatter neck will just take some time to get used to.. but a week
Not a year...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion