The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Kingston Trio's Nick Reynolds passes

Just heard this. The Kingston Trio along with Peter, Paul and Mary, The Brothers Four and other 60's folk groups, were early influences. Nick Reynolds, the guy on the tenor guitar, just passed away. The first concert I ever went to was The Kingston Trio in 1966, the same year of this appearance on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBtT9NfWtbE

Bob Shane is the only remaining member of the original two versions of the group. They did nice songs.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,6426162.story
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Odd. A guy spends his life entertaining people with his music, and no response. And this place is crawling with singer/songwriters, who strum and sing.

Perhaps the wrong place to be.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 AM

There is another thread on it David... Sad, none the less.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 AM

The Kingston Trio, through my BIG brother led me to guitar back in the early 60's.....I won't go into that long story, but along with P,P and M, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Phil Ochs, Odetta, Woody Guthrie, Doc Watson and so on and so forth the K. Trio framed my intro into music I still LOVE.

I will pray for peace and comfort for Nick's family............
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 AM

A shame to hear it, they made wondeful music. My father listened to them all the time when I was a kid, years later I "rediscovered" them, and love their songs.

They had such a great feeling of fun in their music. All the jokes and one-liners they'd put into the songs make you realize you don't have to take everything so seriously. And the harmonies are just so nice.

I was just listening to "Live at the Hungry I" and "At Large" last week, and I'll play them again today (along with some others) and enjoy their songs. It's impossible to hear their music and not smile and sing along.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardism View Post
There is another thread on it David... Sad, none the less.
Ah. That explains it. I rarely go to "open mic".

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

I am sorry to hear this. I have a tenor guitar and when I play it, I think of him.

KT was an early influence on me in folk music days.

I started with c&w and dance bands in South Texas VFW halls in the early '50s...that is 1950. In the 1960s, I discovered commercial folk music and that led me to study ethnic folk music, which carried me into the 1980s.

Starting in the 1990s, I became interested in more popular commercial music from 1900-1939 and that is where I am now...still, I can put one of my many KT, PPM, I&S, etc., etc. LPs on and remember just how great they were. Their following was justified.

I understood why Dave Guard left and they never sounded the same to me.

I hope Nick had a good life.

Ken C. (Older than some rocks.)
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Interesting how the Kingston Trio got labeled "folk." They initially regarded themselves very differently, as essentially a fraternity party band on the West Coast. Having primarily business school backgrounds, as I recall, they were a long way from the typical counterculture folk groups of the time. I guess the record companies recognized a great act when they heard it and, as folk music was starting to get a bit of traction and they didn't know what else to call an all-acoustic instrumental and singing group, they were marketed as folk. A fair bit of their repertoire eventually incorporated folk music.

I remember seeing Bob Shane as a guest-in-the-audience at a Writers' Night at the Exit Inn in Nashville around 1976 or so. He came up and did a few tunes and still had his voice and stage presence. Surprisingly, even that early on, many in the audience seemed not to know who he was, although everyone enjoyed his brief performance.

Whatever style the Kingston Trio was, they were -- and still are -- great to listen to and had a huge impact on many who followed after them. Those who have passed will surely be missed and remembered.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 PM

Too bad RIP

Nick was always my favorite in the group.

Back in the early 60's I was in a trio and most of
our material came from the Kingston Trio
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Sad to hear about another folk hero passing away. He made a mark and did some good things and helped to make some people think, all good things.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Kingston Trio's Nick Reynolds passes

"He'll never return no he'll never return" .........
Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM

The Kingston trio was responsible for a large part of the acoustic guitar boom of the 60's, literally. Gibson and Martin geared up for more mass production, as they were pretty big back then. I saw a PBS program on them it was great, and it might be available online if you look around. It is this generation that is buying all the guitars, the age bubble is 45-55 years old for acoustic guitars, not 20 somethings.

Rap and hip-hop, conversley, helped kill rock n roll etc music.

Now music is focused on alternative bands like Greenday,

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned_instruments.htm

Now shush and go listen to some nice guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion