The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Exclamation OM28 sounds like a Taylor 314??? Help

ORIGINAL POST:
I’ve owned a Taylor 314 for several years now. I LOVE it as my main live strummer and fingerpick guitar (gigging 2-3 times a week, both on stage and unplugged). I play it as my church guitar. I have played with Elixir 13s on it for years and love that it’s a bright, crisp, loud, full, fairly balanced sound. Like a grand piano became a guitar. But was looking for something to be my personal guitar for when I play for fun- blues, fingerstyle (no pick), Rock, country. Borrowed my friend’s D28 a while back though and was like “WOW!!!” Gotta get some Martin tone in my hands. Sold a couple electrics I never play and ended up buying an OM28. It’s a dream as far as playability, but I honestly feel like it sounds just like the Taylor, only not as loud.

Is this because I need to let it break in for some weeks with hard playing? Nothing seems to be wrong with the guitar. Just afraid that if I keep it it will not hold it’s own place in my arsenal since the sound is not different enough. Although I like the looks and playability more than my Taylor....I’m still within the return period.

Thoughts?

ADDED DAYS LATER AFTER THIS THREAD HAD RUN ITS COURSE (THANKS ALL), AND I ENDED UP RETURNING THE OM:

Just for kicks...

Measured my 2007 314ce today.
Forward shifted X bracing (scalloped). Sapele (which many know is a form of mahogany) back and sides with spruce top. Body: 20" long x 15.5" wide at widest point. 4" deep. This is almost identical to the OM28, which is within an 1/8" - 1/2" of those measurements every which way.
Of course, little difference can sometimes greatly affect tone, but still, these measurements are not vastly different. So then, the main difference would be that the OM I had was not scalloped and that it had RW back and sides. Also the 314 has a cutaway while the OM does not, but I've heard this doesn't affect tone massively for some reason.
Anyways...Essentially, the 314 I have is an OM18 of sorts - like if you did a blind test with a bunch of varieties of Martin OMs from over the years, no one would suspect a Taylor had been thrown into the mix or say "that one sounds like a Taylor but the rest don't at all". I'm not saying it IS a Martin OM, but it is definitely SUPER similar to an OM. That is why I felt they're in the same family of sounds? So if I'm correct (and I am happy to admit it if I'm wrong), this explains why my ears felt they were not really that different. I did hear clear differences (more sparkly here or more middy there, more woody here or more focused there) but these guitars are by no means vastly different.

Hypothesis = a well aged and well played 314 is similar to a "newborn" and hardly played OM28; it is essentially a cousin of the old OM18

Am I crazy?
Please don't be rude and tear me to bits - but tell me if my thinking is off. Or if my ears are not fine-tuned enough to hear these things yet...

This adds to the argument that some of you had that I should buy a dread, since that's what I fell in love with at first anyways.

Last edited by Martinaylor; 07-20-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Telling the results, and assessing past conclusions
Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 AM

If that is the way you feel, then take it back. There is no right or wrong, but I understand not needing/wanting 2 similar guitars and no different one's. Why not go play a few D28's since that one spoke to you? Or the new Taylor 517 or 717's are great. And a nice J45 might float your boat too.

Here's a suggestion. Take your Taylor with you when you go shopping. Play it side by side to whatever else you are considering. It'll give you a frame of reference.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM

You make some good points - thanks for that - especially about the D28. I've wondered that myself - "maybe I should go with what got me interested in Martin". I should definitely take my Taylor next time I'm shopping.

But I probably should have explained a bit about why I went for the OM. Even though the D28 is different than the Martin in tone, it is essentially the same type of guitar - I didn't feel the need for another "bass-cannon" strummer guitar (not that D28s can't do more than that). So I'm looking for something totally different. Different tone, size, look. Also, while my decision wasn't price-driven, I did get a SMOKIN deal on the OM, so I was afraid that if I return it quickly I would later regret my impatience. For instance, what if some of the brightness of the OM is simply because it has brand new strings? I have a couple more weeks before I have to return it, so I'm wondering:
1. If the guitar will actually sound different if I play it a lot for a few weeks?
2. If not and I return this one, then are there other similar guitars which might fit the bill (like a 000 or something)?

Last edited by Martinaylor; 07-17-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Well, the 2 you have now are both 25 1/5" scale, smallish body guitars with sitka tops. If you want to break that mold, you are going to probably want to deviate from that formula.

Most guitars will open up as they are played in (although some disagree), however the general tone of the guitar will not change. If it doesn't suit you now, it probably never will.

If you stay with Martin, going to a 000 will mean shorter scale - easier string feel/bending, a little more bass and low mids and not quite as much "snap". That may be a good route to go, as it will feel different from your 312.

That being said, you really need to go play them to know. And take your time. Wait till you find one that really knocks your socks off. The search is half the fun anyway.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

If you were looking for the voicing of the D-28 from an OM-28 it's just not gonna happen. Not knocking the OM...it's a very nice guitar but if the D-28 really rocked your world why not buy a D-28? Just curious...not being judgmental.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Well, the 2 you have now are both 25 1/5" scale, smallish body guitars with sitka tops. If you want to break that mold, you are going to probably want to deviate from that formula.

Most guitars will open up as they are played in (although some disagree), however the general tone of the guitar will not change. If it doesn't suit you now, it probably never will.

If you stay with Martin, going to a 000 will mean shorter scale - easier string feel/bending, a little more bass and low mids and not quite as much "snap". That may be a good route to go, as it will feel different from your 312.

That being said, you really need to go play them to know. And take your time. Wait till you find one that really knocks your socks off. The search is half the fun anyway.

Once again, great points. I think you may be right...maybe I just don't dig the actual OM as much as the idea of an OM
Old 07-17-2019, 10:59 AM

I have a 314ce and I like it a lot. I play it at most of my outdoor gigs. It sounds great. Sometimes I think, "I could live with this being my only guitar."

Then I take out one of my Martin dreads and realize the 314 doesn't even come close. It's still nice, but not the same as a Martin dread. A smaller bodied Martin (000 or OM) wouldn't sound the same, either.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
If you were looking for the voicing of the D-28 from an OM-28 it's just not gonna happen. Not knocking the OM...it's a very nice guitar but if the D-28 really rocked your world why not buy a D-28? Just curious...not being judgmental.
No worries - I appreciate the comment.....So as I said above, I just didn't feel the need for another big, loud cannon guitar (which I feel my 314 is already). But who knows, maybe you're right. Maybe my gut is saying "Just get the D28 cuz you love it".

Variations of it seem nice too - like HD28 etc
Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I have a 314ce and I like it a lot. I play it at most of my outdoor gigs. It sounds great. Sometimes I think, "I could live with this being my only guitar."

Then I take out one of my Martin dreads and realize the 314 doesn't even come close. It's still nice, but not the same as a Martin dread. A smaller bodied Martin (000 or OM) wouldn't sound the same, either.

So you don't feel like having a 314 and a Martin D is redundant? Interesting. What kind of music do you play? And what playing styles (finger, flat pick etc)?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Hi,

If you want something different in sound, look and feel try a 000-15m.
All mahagony and very nice darker sound - good for picking also for strumming and the smell - so sweet !!

http://www.youtube.com/user/moccaguitar
Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Purely anecdotal but I too had an OM-28 that I really really liked, but just didn’t love. I too did not want a “cannon” that would need constant taming with my right hand. I wanted something for vocal accompaniment that recorded with ease. I got that with my slope shoulder Gibson SJ. It won’t be my last guitar purchase, but it isn’t going anywhere.

Grandpa's Washburn
Taylor 114ce
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinaylor View Post
So you don't feel like having a 314 and a Martin D is redundant? Interesting. What kind of music do you play? And what playing styles (finger, flat pick etc)?
No. Not at all. They are completely different to me.

I play a lot of gigs (I'm a strummer/singer) and either suits my needs fine. I play pop, country, and rock covers (Tom Petty, Neil Young, Hootie, etc.). But unplugged, the Martin D's are just so much bigger, warmer, fuller, etc.

It's not like I'd switch from one to the other to find which one suits the song best or anything. I'd play the same songs on either (they'd just sound better on the Martin ).

Shoot, I've got a D-18 (Mahogany) and an HD-28 (Rosewood) and they sound different to me also. The D-18 sounds warm and sweet and the HD-28 sounds loud and proud. But still, I'd play the same songs on either one.

I just remembered I did a recording of all three for comparison. Can you tell a difference? (Headphones would be helpful).

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 07-17-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I play a lot of gigs (I'm a strummer/singer) and either suits my needs fine. I play pop, country, and rock covers (Tom Petty, Neil Young, Hootie, etc.). But unplugged, the Martin D's are just so much bigger, warmer, fuller, etc.

It's not like I'd switch from one to the other to find which one suits the song best or anything. I'd play the same songs on either (they'd just sound better on the Martin ).

Shoot, I've got a D-18 (Mahogany) and an HD-28 (Rosewood) and they sound different to me also. The D-18 sounds warm and sweet and the HD-28 sounds loud and proud. But still, I'd play the same songs on either one.

I just remembered I did a recording of all three for comparison. Can you tell a difference?

Oh nice! Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinaylor View Post
No worries - I appreciate the comment.....So as I said above, I just didn't feel the need for another big, loud cannon guitar (which I feel my 314 is already). But who knows, maybe you're right. Maybe my gut is saying "Just get the D28 cuz you love it".

Variations of it seem nice too - like HD28 etc
Growing up all I knew about size wise was dreads. When I found out about smaller guitars I ran the full circle. 0/00/000/OM/0000/GC/GA 12 fret/14 fret. And there is nothing wrong with the smaller body guitars. Sometimes I miss not having a "couch" guitar. What I found out after spending a lot of money trying different guitars (and we all have to find our own way) is that put simply...I love dreads. To me a 314 is nowhere close to a dread. I know it's Taylor's propriatry body shape (had one once) but it's more like a fingerstyle guitar to me and less like a strummer. Not that you can't strum a 314 pretty good. I say go try some D-28's or HD-28's or maybe even a D-18? Listen to your gut...it will rarely steer you wrong!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I just remembered I did a recording of all three for comparison. Can you tell a difference? (Headphones would be helpful).

So the Taylor seems to be #3 - it's clearly brighter and more crisp. Then again I've not really heard much of the other two in real life - just going off what "Martin tone" I remember from the D28 I borrowed. The first 2 sound Martin through and through....but I can't totally tell them apart (granted, I'm listening through laptop speakers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin om-28, taylor 314ce