The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Is a 2016 314ce considered new?

So, emotionally and financially ready to move up to a quality guitar after years of cheap beaters (currently playing an epiphone PR150)

Have decided on a Taylor 314CE after checking reviews playing one in local LA Sam Ash. (as well as playing a bunch of other guitars of course)

They currently retail new for $1799 + tax. No online deals I could find for cheaper right now. Sales kid said he'd do me a deal for $1583 + tax. This is the only one they currently have in stock.

The guitar plays nice, no visible dings etc, BUT I checked the serial number and it was made in 2016. The discount I was offered was not due to it being 2016, (At least that wasn't mentioned, I was just told 'that's what he could do for me' kind of deal.) I just took a pic of the serial and checked it when I got home.

It's a nice guitar and I liked it when I played it, tho I presume it's been sitting around in the Taylor room of Sam Ash for 1+ years. How many filthy hands have touched it before me? Or has it been out the back in the stockroom, and they just bring out the next one when the floor model sells?

Should I be hitting them up for the same discount, but on a 2018 release? Does it matter that it's a 2016 release?

Thoughts?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Another option. You can probably get into a 3-4 year old 400/500 series well within the budget you have, worth exploring IMO and most will be in very good to excellent condition. The 400/500 series is a nice step up from the 300 series.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Check with our sponsors. Since you are in LA, check LA Guitar Sales. You can get 314ce’s all day long better than that. That guitar is 2 years old.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Another option. You can probably get into a 3-4 year old 400/500 series well within the budget you have, worth exploring IMO and most will be in very good to excellent condition. The 400/500 series is a nice step up from the 300 series.
That's not a bad idea, and I've just looked and found a few 514ce's on Reverb for similar cash (about $1800 all up). BUT, as this is my first significant guitar purchase (as in dropping a bit of coin on), I'm hesitant to buy something I've not actually played. I did play a used 414 in Sam Ash for similar $ and didn't like it as much as the 314 - However, that's very likely just that particular guitar, not all 414's.

Possibly being foolish tho cos the savings for buying second hand online are significant.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:08 PM

+1, check with our AGF sponsors. I would talk to Jon at Shoreline Music and see what he can do for you. If it were me, if you're buying a 300 series anyway, the 2 I would be looking at would be:

324ce, Tasmanian blackwood w/ Mahogany top. very rich sound, subtle shaded edgeburst. I don't even really want/need another Taylor, and I want one of these. Probably the best (IMO) Taylor there is before you start getting into the 700-series and upwards.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/324ce

314ce LTD- a limited edition run with Lutz spruce top and tasmanian blackwood back and sides. I GAS'd over this for a while. It's going to be harder to find, but the price is basically the same or a LITTLE bit higher than a regular one, and you get some upgraded woods and appointments.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...ic/314ce-ltd-0

anyways, that should get you started. I would think they might be a bit* higher than the 1583 or whatever it was that you mentioned, esp. for the Ltd, but I would definitely definitely check with Jon at Shoreline music, LA Guitar or whatever it was that was already mentioned. and I've heard Heartbreaker guitars is also good. But I would start at Shoreline for Taylors, just from what i've heard.

Of course, peoples' tastes are vastly different.. but if you're going brand new Taylor, that's what I'd do. Also, someone else mentioned, if you're willing to buy used... you may be able to 'skip' to a higher level of guitar for your budget. Occasionally you may find guitars that cost $3 or 4,000 dollars brand new.. and when buying used, you can find them in excellent, almost 'as-new' condition (or close) for half of that or less, just because it's a 2005.. or a 2008.. or a 2011. Or whatever. I would personally, in addition to talking to Shoreline, stay glued to Reverb and the AGF classifieds.. if you truly just want a stock 314ce, you can find them within 1-2 yrs old for much cheaper than what you've mentioned. There are some deals to be had, but you have to be patient and in the right place at the right time.

Hope this helps!!!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 PM

There’s a 714ce for sale on this forum right now they are asking 1700 for! Put tax on that one you are looking at and they are nearly the same price.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
+1, check with our AGF sponsors. I would talk to Jon at Shoreline Music and see what he can do for you. If it were me, if you're buying a 300 series anyway, the 2 I would be looking at would be:

324ce, Tasmanian blackwood w/ Mahogany top. very rich sound, subtle shaded edgeburst. I don't even really want/need another Taylor, and I want one of these. Probably the best (IMO) Taylor there is before you start getting into the 700-series and upwards.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/324ce

314ce LTD- a limited edition run with Lutz spruce top and tasmanian blackwood back and sides. I GAS'd over this for a while. It's going to be harder to find, but the price is basically the same or a LITTLE bit higher than a regular one, and you get some upgraded woods and appointments.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...ic/314ce-ltd-0

anyways, that should get you started. I would think they might be a bit* higher than the 1583 or whatever it was that you mentioned, esp. for the Ltd, but I would definitely definitely check with Jon at Shoreline music, LA Guitar or whatever it was that was already mentioned. and I've heard Heartbreaker guitars is also good. But I would start at Shoreline for Taylors, just from what i've heard.

Of course, peoples' tastes are vastly different.. but if you're going brand new Taylor, that's what I'd do. Also, someone else mentioned, if you're willing to buy used... you may be able to 'skip' to a higher level of guitar for your budget. Occasionally you may find guitars that cost $3 or 4,000 dollars brand new.. and when buying used, you can find them in excellent, almost 'as-new' condition (or close) for half of that or less, just because it's a 2005.. or a 2008.. or a 2011. Or whatever. I would personally, in addition to talking to Shoreline, stay glued to Reverb and the AGF classifieds.. if you truly just want a stock 314ce, you can find them within 1-2 yrs old for much cheaper than what you've mentioned. There are some deals to be had, but you have to be patient and in the right place at the right time.

Hope this helps!!!

Scott
Great advice, thanks. Unfortunately LA Guitar Sales didn't have any 314's in stock and I didn't think to ask what kind of price they'd do on them (I went to Sam Ash after cos they're just down the road.)

I definitely like the idea of trying some of the other 300 models, just depends if I can find them in stock somewhere . I thought LA would have more guitar stores! Will be a bit more patient and see what's about.

There's a pretty sweet deal currently on reverb for a 514ce mahogany cedar. But again, nervous nelly that I am, what if I don't like it? Hah
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM

Mick, yes, it's considered new, and rightfully so. It's not a carton of milk with an expiration date.

Remember that professional quality guitars like this Taylor are luxury goods. A diamond necklace that's been sitting in a jewelry store since 2016 until the right buyer comes along is still a new necklace until it's bought. Same thing here.

You're wise to want to play these guitars first. Buy the one you've chosen, and understand that the way the music store that sells it to you can stay in business is to establish what kind of profit margin it needs to keep the doors open. Yes, it's possible you can find a similar guitar for less elsewhere, but this is the one that speaks to you.

I'm sure that some of the two-fisted bargain hunters that post on this and every other online guitar forum will indulge in a little vicarious indignation and urge you to look elsewhere. But if you want to be able to take the guitar in to your local store to get worked on when it needs it, it makes more sense in the long run to buy from the store you've visited.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Mick, yes, it's considered new, and rightfully so. It's not a carton of milk with an expiration date.

Remember that professional quality guitars like this Taylor are luxury goods. A diamond necklace that's been sitting in a jewelry store since 2016 until the right buyer comes along is still a new necklace until it's bought. Same thing here.

You're wise to want to play these guitars first. Buy the one you've chosen, and understand that the way the music store that sells it to you can stay in business is to establish what kind of profit margin it needs to keep the doors open. Yes, it's possible you can find a similar guitar for less elsewhere, but this is the one that speaks to you.

I'm sure that some of the two-fisted bargain hunters that post on this and every other online guitar forum will indulge in a little vicarious indignation and urge you to look elsewhere. But if you want to be able to take the guitar in to your local store to get worked on when it needs it, it makes more sense in the long run to buy from the store you've visited.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Yep total sense. As much as I want a bargain, I do really like buying the guitar I've played as I find every one is different, even the same models. I also want to be able to walk in, then walk out with an guitar in my hand.

I've got to hold off for a week or so for some cash to come through, so will indulge myself searching a few different stores for a few different models to try to see if I find anything I prefer more (I am very intrigued to try the Tasmanian blackwood model as I'm Australian by birth and a bit of hometown timber would be a nice touch.)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 PM

By all means, OP -- if the guitar you've already played has really moved you, or spoken to you, then you should buy that one. I wasn't under that impression, but it seems that some people do think that, so that would be my next question. If you truly love that guitar, it's not outrageously over-priced, but it's also not outstanding for a stock 2016 314ce. Some places choose to sell in higher volumes, and they are able to do that by choosing a slightly lower profit-margin per guitar; if that makes me a two-fisted bargain hunter, I guess I'll wear that badge with pride.. I'm all for supporting small business, and helping them keep their doors open, but I'm also not keen on spending $1700 on something that I can get for $1300 with a single phone call and a wee bit of shopping around. (mind you I'm just throwing fictional numbers, those, of course)

At the end of the day, Mr. Hampton is right, you should get the one that moves you.. HOWEVER.. If a certain one hasn't, then there's no problem with looking for the lowest price, and assuming a small amount of risk that you won't like it. I've had EXTREMELY good luck ordering guitars sight unseen, but there is always a bit of risk. I've only ordered or traded 4 guitars in my entire lifetime, without seeing them, and each one has been a stellar instrument that I've loved dearly. But, there is a bit of risk. Luckily, that's why there are return policies, and Taylor in particular has a reputation for relative consistency, despite there being natural unavoidable variations from guitar-to-guitar. Even when buying from an individual, I always knew that if I didn't bond with it, OK, that's not the best scenario, but I could always trade it or sell it to move into something else.

I stand by my previous post; unless of course you were really floored by that one model you played, I'd still say to go to one of our many sponsors. (which there's nothing wrong with that, you'd be doing great to just buy the one at Sam Ash, too; the very, very best guitar I played at Fuller's the other day, surprisingly was a 314ce-N .. and this is a shop which carries many fine quality guitars).... I think you'd be quite happy just picking a model based on its general reviews and what you're looking for, and finding the best deal thru one of our sponsors and have it mailed to you.

Others may view things differently, but the world is your oyster. Good luck!!

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-11-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
There’s a 714ce for sale on this forum right now they are asking 1700 for! Put tax on that one you are looking at and they are nearly the same price.
YES^^^

714's are GREAT guitars!!! You should definitely look seriously into this one...get in touch with the seller...see if they have some wiggle room on their price...and no, I am not affiliated with the seller at all..."Ten" is just flat out right in his post...this 714 could be one heckuva a fine guitar for you DrMick!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 PM
Get off my lawn kid

If you have a GC and a Sam Ash nearby or someone else that carries the 400 or 500 series check them out. There is a bit of a difference as you go up the line. Not huge, but it is there. About the 300 though - its what they call NOS (new old stock) and there isn't anything wrong with it except no one else liked it enough to buy it. Which should make you stop and think about it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-11-2018, 09:55 PM

Well, I also believe in supporting local stores. As others have said, if it feels right when you hold and play it, then that's the guitar for you.

Maybe ask for a new set of strings or a free (or discounted) set up to help seal the deal.

Whatever guitar you get just enjoy it and play it everyday!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
By all means, OP -- if the guitar you've already played has really moved you, or spoken to you, then you should buy that one. I wasn't under that impression, but it seems that some people do think that, so that would be my next question. If you truly love that guitar, it's not outrageously over-priced, but it's also not outstanding for a stock 2016 314ce. Some places choose to sell in higher volumes, and they are able to do that by choosing a slightly lower profit-margin per guitar; if that makes me a two-fisted bargain hunter, I guess I'll wear that badge with pride.. I'm all for supporting small business, and helping them keep their doors open, but I'm also not keen on spending $1700 on something that I can get for $1300 with a single phone call and a wee bit of shopping around. (mind you I'm just throwing fictional numbers, those, of course)

At the end of the day, Mr. Hampton is right, you should get the one that moves you.. HOWEVER.. If a certain one hasn't, then there's no problem with looking for the lowest price, and assuming a small amount of risk that you won't like it. I've had EXTREMELY good luck ordering guitars sight unseen, but there is always a bit of risk. I've only ordered or traded 4 guitars in my entire lifetime, without seeing them, and each one has been a stellar instrument that I've loved dearly. But, there is a bit of risk. Luckily, that's why there are return policies, and Taylor in particular has a reputation for relative consistency, despite there being natural unavoidable variations from guitar-to-guitar. Even when buying from an individual, I always knew that if I didn't bond with it, OK, that's not the best scenario, but I could always trade it or sell it to move into something else.

I stand by my previous post; unless of course you were really floored by that one model you played, I'd still say to go to one of our many sponsors. (which there's nothing wrong with that, you'd be doing great to just buy the one at Sam Ash, too; the very, very best guitar I played at Fuller's the other day, surprisingly was a 314ce-N .. and this is a shop which carries many fine quality guitars).... I think you'd be quite happy just picking a model based on its general reviews and what you're looking for, and finding the best deal thru one of our sponsors and have it mailed to you.

Others may view things differently, but the world is your oyster. Good luck!!
Without being too much of a foot in both camps here (too late?), I liked the 314 I played in Sam Ash a lot, BUT it wasn't a 'I have to walk out with this instrument now' moment, more a 'this is one of the best guitars I've played in this price range and it does excite me to play it'.

What I don't know yet is - was it just this guitar? or is it the 314's in general that I like and this was just the first one I've played?

I'm going out to a store tomorrow that I found that has a 314ce for $1200 - the price difference being (I presume) that it comes with the ES1 pick up system rather than the latest ES2 and the actually guitar is exactly the same. Not sure how important the pick up system is to me at this stage, I want something that makes my heart sing acoustically first. And hey, schlepping out to Montrose to save $300+ is me hunting the bargain with two fists. I'm hoping they have a 324 to play as well, (go Tassie Blackwood!) but I am finding the alternate 300 series models curiously hard to get my hands on. I'm just too much of a wuss to buy something sight unseen right now. Probably because it's my first. I'll buy one in the store now, get over it and have 6 from the classifieds by Christmas.

I'm discovering guitar shopping is a weird kind of exquisite agony.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:36 AM

sounds like you've got a good handle on it. I like how you put that -- it can definitely be agonizing, but sweet as well, shopping for a guitar. If you aren't comfortable ordering, then definitely I would just stay on the road that you're already on. seems you're doing just the right thing. I think with 314ce's .. they are going to be mostly similar, but there will always be a bit of variation, enough (I think) to where you'll be able to tell when one speaks to you. I would try to play a couple more (which you're already doing) and then gauge how it feels compared to the other one. If it leaves lots to be desired, then you know to go with the other one; if the new one knocks your socks off, well.. of course go with that one. If they are equal, you can decide by price or who you want to support with your business.

Anyway, I know I'm not adding much here, I think you're on the right track and have it under control. Keep your mind and your eyes open, be patient, and go with your heart!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
2016 taylor, 314ce, new taylors, taylor, taylor 314ce