The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Mary Chapin Carpenter Interview

As some of you may already know, Mary Chapin Carpenter has a new CD. She is one of my favorite singer songwriters and I thought I would share this interview that she recently did with ABC News. She talks about her career, songwriting process and sings one the songs off of the new CD at the end of the interview.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...-back-38825726

Side note: The interviewer blows it big time when she gushes about having Mary's songs on her ipod years ago and cites Passionate Kisses as one of her favorites. Mary lets her know that Lucinda Williams wrote that song and then speaks to Lucinda's chops as a songwriter. Kudos to Mary for handling it with grace and respect.

Enjoy and best,
Jayne
Old 05-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting that Jayne! I too love MCC

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Thanks for posting!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Amazon just sent me an email telling me that my new MCC CD is on the way. And in the same box is the new Bonnie Raitt album. They'll be here tomorrow.

I've cleared the decks for tomorrow evening, am sitting on the deck with a bottle of something cold in my hand and listening to new music. I've been a big fan of Mary Chapin Carpenter for many years.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:39 PM

MCC's "Never Had It So Good" (her second single to chart) should have gone solid gold, straight to #1. Among the best Country songs I've ever heard. Stalled out at #8 US Billboard Country (#6, Canada) in 1989. I was wandering the Great Basin wilds of eastern Nevada when "Never Had It So Good" hit the radio (released on September 2, 1989). Couldn't get enough of that song.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Amazon just sent me an email telling me that my new MCC CD is on the way. And in the same box is the new Bonnie Raitt album. They'll be here tomorrow.

I've cleared the decks for tomorrow evening, am sitting on the deck with a bottle of something cold in my hand and listening to new music. I've been a big fan of Mary Chapin Carpenter for many years.
That sounds like a great plan! I received the MCC CD late yesterday and popped it in my car stereo this morning. It sure improved my commute. I have heard that Bonnie's latest is fine as well.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

I've heard a couple songs off Bonnie's new disc. Stellar Stuff!!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
As some of you may already know, Mary Chapin Carpenter has a new CD. She is one of my favorite singer songwriters and I thought I would share this interview that she recently did with ABC News. She talks about her career, songwriting process and sings one the songs off of the new CD at the end of the interview.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...-back-38825726

Side note: The interviewer blows it big time when she gushes about having Mary's songs on her ipod years ago and cites Passionate Kisses as one of her favorites. Mary lets her know that Lucinda Williams wrote that song and then speaks to Lucinda's chops as a songwriter. Kudos to Mary for handling it with grace and respect.

Enjoy and best,
Jayne
Thanks so much for posting this Jayne...

I am SO proud to say that one of my absolute VERY best friends is the luthier who made the two guitars that Mary has with her in the interview...

He would be renowned luthier John Greven, who lives here in Portland Oregon.

The first guitar she has, through most of the interview is her "Greven #2", which is a J-200 sized Sitka/Maple jumbo. The guitar she plays her new song on at the end of the interview is her "Greven #1" J-185 sized Sitka/Maple jumbo. Greven #1 has been her main performing/recording guitar for over 30 years, and I believe that Greven #2 has been with her nearly as long. Both were made by John in the early/mid 80's, when he lived in rural Indiana.

I have always loved the tone of her Greven #1, and Greven #2 sounds very very similar...both typical of the tone that John Greven creates in all of his guitars...warm, sweet, earthy, lyrical/musical. I have also played the guitar that he made for John Denver...also from that same time period...a 0000 "Martin M series" style, also in Sitka/Maple, that sounds quite similar to Mary's guitars...again...the "Greven" tone if you will.

You can read MCC's description of how she came to own Greven #1, over on John's website...grevenguitars.com. It is a really cool story, and she obviously really cares for this instrument deeply, as she has continued to use it...and Greven #2...all these years as her main guitars.

Something you "guitar tech/spec/nerds" might be intriqued by...you may have noticed what looks like a great deal of visible runout on the top of Greven #1...the one she plays in the interview...well...quite well beyond a lot of runout...that top is made of two different, completely un-matched pieces of Sitka. As terrific as that guitar sounds...it just goes to show how really unimportant the whole notion/obsession of the need for "perfect mastergrade/bookmatched" top wood sets can actually be. You can get great tone out of two orphaned pieces of wood, if the wood and the builder are good.

It was a really great interview, and a lovely new song, and it was so nice to see that MCC is still happily using her fine old guitars that John made lo, all those years ago.

A great "quiet", understated compliment to a truly fine person, and luthier, my very best friend, John Greven.

duff
Old 05-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Default Mary Chapin Carpenter Interview

Thanks for sharing this. Mary has provided the soundtrack to my life ever since Stones In The Road. She is the only songwriter who can break my heart and make me laugh with the same song.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Thank you for sharing, MCC is an immense talent, one of the finest singer songwriters alive. I am glad I live in her time, she is amazing.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 05-08-2016, 06:49 PM

Thanks for posting. Some of the most sensitive, heartfelt lyrics ever written have come from MCC. I have followed her career for many years and had the pleasure of seeing her at Wolftrap, sort of her "home field". Love her and those great sounding Grevens.

RB
Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the post. I immediately ordered the CD when I saw this thread. It came today and I'm having a wonderful time getting to know the music.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Thanks so much for posting this Jayne...

I am SO proud to say that one of my absolute VERY best friends is the luthier who made the two guitars that Mary has with her in the interview...

He would be renowned luthier John Greven, who lives here in Portland Oregon.

The first guitar she has, through most of the interview is her "Greven #2", which is a J-200 sized Sitka/Maple jumbo. The guitar she plays her new song on at the end of the interview is her "Greven #1" J-185 sized Sitka/Maple jumbo. Greven #1 has been her main performing/recording guitar for over 30 years, and I believe that Greven #2 has been with her nearly as long. Both were made by John in the early/mid 80's, when he lived in rural Indiana.

I have always loved the tone of her Greven #1, and Greven #2 sounds very very similar...both typical of the tone that John Greven creates in all of his guitars...warm, sweet, earthy, lyrical/musical. I have also played the guitar that he made for John Denver...also from that same time period...a 0000 "Martin M series" style, also in Sitka/Maple, that sounds quite similar to Mary's guitars...again...the "Greven" tone if you will.

You can read MCC's description of how she came to own Greven #1, over on John's website...grevenguitars.com. It is a really cool story, and she obviously really cares for this instrument deeply, as she has continued to use it...and Greven #2...all these years as her main guitars.

Something you "guitar tech/spec/nerds" might be intriqued by...you may have noticed what looks like a great deal of visible runout on the top of Greven #1...the one she plays in the interview...well...quite well beyond a lot of runout...that top is made of two different, completely un-matched pieces of Sitka. As terrific as that guitar sounds...it just goes to show how really unimportant the whole notion/obsession of the need for "perfect mastergrade/bookmatched" top wood sets can actually be. You can get great tone out of two orphaned pieces of wood, if the wood and the builder are good.

It was a really great interview, and a lovely new song, and it was so nice to see that MCC is still happily using her fine old guitars that John made lo, all those years ago.

A great "quiet", understated compliment to a truly fine person, and luthier, my very best friend, John Greven.

duff
Thanks for sharing this story. Those guitars seem to fit her like a glove, or maybe like a nice broken in pair of slippers! I have not had the pleasure of meeting John but have played a couple of his guitars over the years.

I am glad folks are enjoying her new CD. I have had it in my car CD player all week and it has not some stellar songs on it but has a nice arc as a whole.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion