The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM

Question Taylor 314ce vs 514e FLTD 2013

Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading from a 314ce to the 514e FLTD 2013. I've seen a couple of people here post about their 514e FLTD and my question to you is this: looks aside does the 514e FLTD actually sound better than the 314ce? Considerably?

The 314ce I own is not a bad guitar it's just that it doesn't feel special to me. I am a big fan of spruce/hog combo so I figured the 514e FLTD would be a great choice.

Pictures welcomed.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
looks aside does the 514e FLTD actually sound better than the 314ce? Considerably?

Depends on your taste. Absolutely not.

If you wanted to look at a recent limited that will really give you a different sound you could look at the 2013 414ce FLTD cedar/rosewood. Beautiful guitars. I haven't had the pleasure of playing one yet but something tells me they sound great.

Last edited by 44Runner; 09-27-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
Depends on your taste. Absolutely not.

If you wanted to look at a recent limited that will really give you a different sound you could look at the 2013 414ce FLTD cedar/rosewood. Beautiful guitars. I haven't had the pleasure of playing one yet but something tells me they sound great.
I don't need a different sound, besides I don't like cedar or rosewood, I want a better sounding spruce/hog guitar. So again my question is: does the 514e FLTD 2013 sound considerably better than a 314ce? In other words is the upgrade from a 314ce to a 514e FLTD worth it?

Thanks, sound clips would be appreciated.

P.S. I am also looking into 516e FLTD.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

My view is yes, worthy upgrade, cv bracing and euro spruce and figured back, sound better or not, to my ears, I do prefer the Ltd.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I don't need a different sound, besides I don't like cedar or rosewood, I want a better sounding spruce/hog guitar. So again my question is: does the 514e FLTD 2013 sound considerably better than a 314ce? In other words is the upgrade from a 314ce to a 514e FLTD worth it?

Thanks, sound clips would be appreciated.

P.S. I am also looking into 516e FLTD.
So again, read my post. I answered your question.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
So again, read my post. I answered your question.
So, have you actually played a Taylor 514e FLTD 2013? Can you be more specific about it's sound than simply saying "absolutely not"?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
So, have you actually played a Taylor 514e FLTD 2013? Can you be more specific about it's sound than simply saying "absolutely not"?
Yes I have played it and I wouldn't characterize the sound as significantly different. As far as looks go, it is amazing. Especially in person it is beautiful. Sound is more smooth with less of that characteristic punch most associate with the 314.

Cost no object I would prefer the 514ce FLTD. If we are talking just sound and factor in price, well you can see which direction I went. It is hard to put a price on looks and they are extremely subjective. I think the 314 looks great in a very utilitarian sort of way but the 514 FLTD really is beautiful, at least to me.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 AM

What is your playing style?

I have not had the opportunity to play one of the 514 limiteds, but it seems to me if you were playing more fingerstyle, this is where you would notice the biggest difference. With the European spruce and the different bracing, I would think it would be more responsive. I also would seriously consider the 516 limited you mentioned. I have a light/medium attack and play 90% fingerstyle. My koa GS seems to have a 'bloom' and a presence to the notes and chords that I have not found as much of in the grand auditoriums.

If you are primarily a strummer, the upgrade for some would not be justified other than for looks, (which you mentioned is not part of your quest!) In my experience, Taylors seem to sound fairly similar when strummed when comparing the same body styles; especially when made of comparable woods.

I wish I could offer advice based on first-hand experience with the 514 limited. I spend far too much time on AGF and I tend to drop in guitar stores more than I should. Good luck with your decision. I am surprised some of those forum members that have recently posted their NGDs over the 514 limiteds have not weighed in yet.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:34 AM

I sent you a PM and email. May have what you are looking for.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 09-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I have played it and I wouldn't characterize the sound as significantly different. As far as looks go, it is amazing. Especially in person it is beautiful. Sound is more smooth with less of that characteristic punch most associate with the 314.

Cost no object I would prefer the 514ce FLTD. If we are talking just sound and factor in price, well you can see which direction I went. It is hard to put a price on looks and they are extremely subjective. I think the 314 looks great in a very utilitarian sort of way but the 514 FLTD really is beautiful, at least to me.
Thanks. I love the way the 514/516e FLTD looks, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade to it, but I also wanted to find out if it sounds spectacular too. I love all the detailing like avian wood inlays, wood rosette the bright European spruce top and of course the flamed hog. I would expect it to sound fuller and have greater articulation than the 314ce.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgas View Post
What is your playing style?

I have not had the opportunity to play one of the 514 limiteds, but it seems to me if you were playing more fingerstyle, this is where you would notice the biggest difference. With the European spruce and the different bracing, I would think it would be more responsive. I also would seriously consider the 516 limited you mentioned. I have a light/medium attack and play 90% fingerstyle. My koa GS seems to have a 'bloom' and a presence to the notes and chords that I have not found as much of in the grand auditoriums.

If you are primarily a strummer, the upgrade for some would not be justified other than for looks, (which you mentioned is not part of your quest!) In my experience, Taylors seem to sound fairly similar when strummed when comparing the same body styles; especially when made of comparable woods.

I wish I could offer advice based on first-hand experience with the 514 limited. I spend far too much time on AGF and I tend to drop in guitar stores more than I should. Good luck with your decision. I am surprised some of those forum members that have recently posted their NGDs over the 514 limiteds have not weighed in yet.
Yes, I forgot to mention. I play mostly finger style with varying attack ranging from delicate to aggressive (kind of like flamenco). Although I wanted to ask primarily about the tonal qualities of the 514/516 FLTD I am also definitely interested in it because of its gorgeous, earthy looks.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:50 PM

I would go after it! (That is easy to say when it is not my money!) They are very attractive guitars, and the understated elegance and the Gotohs would be worth it for me. I also believe that the limiteds are some of the best bang-for-your-buck guitars Taylor puts out. It is a shame you don't have a chance to A/B that against your 314.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Best mahogany guitar I have ever played

As you can tell from my signature I have had a 514e FLTD (2013) for almost a year now. The sounds I get from this guitar are amazing. The balance between strings is great and it is not hobbled by excessive overtones when playing sustained notes. I have the 1st editions 518e and the 514e is LOUDER and has more low bass. An amazing guitar in sound as well as looks.

My Taylor Guitars
2016 514ce LTD (Granadillo/Cedar)
2016 416ce LTD (Walnut/Cedar)
2016 326e LTD Baritone (Blackwood/Mahogany)
2014 324ce FLTD (Koa/Koa)
2014 714ce FLTD (Black Heart Sassafras/Sitka Spruce)
2013 514e FLTD (Curly Mahogany/European Spruce)
2012 414ce LTD (Blackwood/Cedar)
2003 314ce LTD (Maple/Sitka Spruce)
1997 712 (Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesinger48 View Post
As you can tell from my signature I have had a 514e FLTD (2013) for almost a year now. The sounds I get from this guitar are amazing. The balance between strings is great and it is not hobbled by excessive overtones when playing sustained notes. I have the 1st editions 518e and the 514e is LOUDER and has more low bass. An amazing guitar in sound as well as looks.
Ok, now that I have the 514e FLTD, I can safely confirm that it DOES sound amazing. For medium size guitar it has a really clear, rich bass. More pronounced than my rosewood/sitka Eastman dread.

That guitar just kicks ***

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
514, 516, taylor 314ce