The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechmgr View Post
To my ear, a 314 sitka/sapele is bright, in a high frequency range.
This x1000. Here on the interwebs, we obsess over bone, micarta, tusq, etc. But for any guitar that is already bright, these will only make it brighter.

Many times the sound that is most pleasing is from a saddle made of cheap plastic.

And don't get me started on nuts, where it ONLY makes a difference for the SMALL percentage of notes that we play on OPEN strings!
Old 06-13-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkshirsagar View Post
could you please explain why, and what difference you noticed?
Sorry for the delay in replying. To me the Taylor Micarta saddle has a much smoother high end and has a more balanced sound overall. I fingerpick with nails and flatpick . I have always liked the sound of the 310 with both the tusk saddle it came with and the Bob Colosi bone saddle but the micarta saddle makes it even better. I bought this guitar new in 2004.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:01 PM

I have a Taylor 314, I had a bone nut and saddle installed in 2002, I also had the bridge modified for slotless pins. The guitar went from being quite bright and midrangey to mellow and bassy. Friends have commented it’s the most Martin sounding Taylor they have heard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bone saddle, carbon fibre, micarta saddle, taylor 314ce