The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-24-2024, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

This all-Koa JB-15-WRX is speculative. I chose all-Koa because I haven't made one for a few years, and because I have several homeless Koa flitch sets. Although my website says I don't offer the JB package or even a cutaway as options for my WRX, I just made that up. This guitar will be relatively affordable, and not available to retail as there is too little margin.

The rosette:

Old 01-25-2024, 05:53 AM

Those are some gorgeous sets of koa and Myrtle, Bruce. I have no doubt that JB all Koa is going to be stunning!
Old 01-25-2024, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sheesh…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Those are some gorgeous sets of koa and Myrtle, Bruce. I have no doubt that JB all Koa is going to be stunning!
Treenewt is right! Beautiful woods, Sir!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-25-2024, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

That Koa looks beautiful. If I understand correctly the two back plates, sides and two top plates are all from consecutive cuts? What scale length are you going to use for the JB fan fret?

The Myrtle is not too shabby either. What are you going to turn it into?
Old 01-25-2024, 08:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Both of the koa's plates are flitch-matched, but the sides only might be. They were sold to me as such, but it isn't obvious to me. The color and flame matches very well, so it is at least possible.

I am using the Myrtle as bait, hoping someone steps up. I were asked which of the two woods, Koa and Myrtle, were most likely to make a great guitar, I'd say Myrtle by a mile. So far, all of my Myrtle/Spruce guitars came out better than expected, and my expectations are pretty high.

When it comes to Koa, I much prefer all-Koa over Koa/spruce. If someone insists, I'll do it, but not until after they've resisted my effort to turn them toward Oz Blackwood, a totally superior timber than looks VERY similar. Both are Acacia.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:16 AM

That koa top is a thing of great beauty!
Old 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Both of the koa's plates are flitch-matched, but the sides only might be. They were sold to me as such, but it isn't obvious to me. The color and flame matches very well, so it is at least possible.

I am using the Myrtle as bait, hoping someone steps up. I were asked which of the two woods, Koa and Myrtle, were most likely to make a great guitar, I'd say Myrtle by a mile. So far, all of my Myrtle/Spruce guitars came out better than expected, and my expectations are pretty high.

When it comes to Koa, I much prefer all-Koa over Koa/spruce. If someone insists, I'll do it, but not until after they've resisted my effort to turn them toward Oz Blackwood, a totally superior timber than looks VERY similar. Both are Acacia.
Bruce, curious as to why you prefer all-koa vs spruce/koa.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Bruce, curious as to why you prefer all-koa vs spruce/koa.
Short answer: Because they sound better to me! And they sound more interesting. All-Koa guitars have a unique envelope in almost every case I’ve played, though nearly all are ridiculously overbuilt, whether vintage or new. I’ve played a few old ones, mostly at Schoenberg’s shop, which are loose and loud, and are a lot of fun to play, and certainly serious musical instruments. So, the several I’ve made are certainly not overbuilt, and are up to a level where they could be a player’s only guitar. Personally, for me it would just be another arrow in the quiver, but oh what an arrow! Did I mention the emotional impact of the appearance? Stunning beauty!!!
Old 01-26-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Short answer: Because they sound better to me! And they sound more interesting. All-Koa guitars have a unique envelope in almost every case I’ve played, though nearly all are ridiculously overbuilt, whether vintage or new. I’ve played a few old ones, mostly at Schoenberg’s shop, which are loose and loud, and are a lot of fun to play, and certainly serious musical instruments. So, the several I’ve made are certainly not overbuilt, and are up to a level where they could be a player’s only guitar. Personally, for me it would just be another arrow in the quiver, but oh what an arrow! Did I mention the emotional impact of the appearance? Stunning beauty!!!
Good enough for me! Thank you, sir!
Old 01-26-2024, 01:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful wood. This will be amazing.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

The bracing is done on the plates!

Does anyone know what kind of mushrooms these are? I found them growing in my local dog park, and they are quite large, between 6 and 8 inches across. No, I don't plan to eat them.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:38 PM

Could be lepiota rachodes - the shaggy parasol. If so, one of your neighbors is probably having some with dinner. Play it safe.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewords View Post
Could be lepiota rachodes - the shaggy parasol. If so, one of your neighbors is probably having some with dinner. Play it safe.
First post! Welcome to the forum. Your analysis appears likely to me.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Bruce, nothing sounds quite like a good all Koa guitar. I had tried a number of modern ones over the years and never liked any of them. Then I had the chance to try a 1923 Martin 0-18K. It had a unique voice, unlike any other guitar I had played, and was stunningly beautiful to boot. It's one of the few guitars I still regret not buying. Years later I bought a much cheaper all Koa 1930 Galiano Grand Concert Hawaiian guitar that had been converted to Spanish style. Not in the same league quality wise as the Martin of course, but still very lightly built at 3.75 lbs (and that's with a HUGE neck and thick ebony fretboard mind you). It also had a unique sound,lots of sustain, and interesting overtones like the Martin 0-18.

So now I'm really interested to hear Bruce's all Koa guitar when it's finished!
Old 01-27-2024, 05:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Forward motion!

This piece of side fits quite well right out of my Fox Bender Device. Next I will hand bend the cutaway curves.

It continues to amuse me that though we call it a cutaway, in my building system it is the first piece of the side to go in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop