The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-28-2023, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Michael Kennedy Guitars -- Crelicam Ebony Multi-scale

Hello everyone!

I've got a build on the go that I've just sent out for finishing and wanted to show you all. This one is my Concert Model with some beautiful Crelicam ebony back/sides, a torrefied sitka spruce top, multi-scale (25.5"-26.25"), florentine flush-to-the-heel cutaway, sound port, tornavoz, and some detail/inlay work with spalted maple and honey jasper re-con stone. I'm building this one for Dream Guitars and is now available for pre-order (to be delivered at the end of October) so please get in touch with any questions!

End-graft ready to be inlaid...

Gluing the end-graft in you can really see the subtle flame in this set!

Doing these "stepped" joints with the purfling is pretty tricky but boy do I really love the effect!

All boxed up and looking mighty fine! TONS of silking on this top...

Note that the sides twist at the cutaway to match the taper of the heel for a smooth transition from body to neck...

Continuing the theme onto the fingerboard...

Getting things prepped for the flush and magnetic truss rod cover...

And one final shot showing that neck/body transition...

I should have this one back in a few weeks for final assembly and setup -- can't wait to see that ebony under finish!
instagram
Old 10-01-2023, 01:48 AM

Looks great. Loving the matching inlay and truss rod cover.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:42 PM

2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-02-2023, 06:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Looks great. Loving the matching inlay and truss rod cover.
Thanks! Figuring out the direction I wanted to go with on the design for this build has also re-sparked my interest in messing around with re-con stone and all of the design possibilities it allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Hahaha...
instagram
Old 10-02-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I love everything about this guitar, Mike!

I have a couple of sets of african ebony with a light curl like this; I'm curious how it will show under finish.

Thanks for sharing!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:07 PM

Also, blazing marathon pace!
Old 10-03-2023, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
I love everything about this guitar, Mike!

I have a couple of sets of african ebony with a light curl like this; I'm curious how it will show under finish.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm very curious how the curl comes out under finish -- I'll be posting pictures in a few weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Also, blazing marathon pace!

Haha, thanks Sam! As a quick aside/explanation, one of my other big passions is running and I finally competed in my first marathon this past weekend....

I was pretty happy with a time of 2:56:22 but not so happy with how my legs have felt the past two days!!!
instagram
Old 10-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Sub 3h Marathon is blazing fast! Well done and congrats!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

This one is back from the finishers and should be wrapped up in the next week or so. Typically the first job I do once it's back and re-acclimated to my shop is to re-fit the bottom of the bridge and finish up carving/inlay. Not surprisingly, being a multi-scale makes the angles on the bridge all sorts of different! I'm super happy with how it turned out and think it fits in great with the overall theme...

I'll be finishing up fretting today and should have some strings on it and properly stretching by tomorrow afternoon. You never know for sure until you actually get finish on an instrument, but the color scheme on this one really came together beyond my expectations. The brown/light sections in the ebony tie in beautifully with the torrefied top and spalted maple -- I'll have some proper glamour shots soon!
instagram
Old 11-22-2023, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, Mike, I looked at this post this morning while I was soaking up a cup of French roast, and WOW. WOW WOW WOW!
I am absolutely smitten with your sense of design. I love how you integrate your themes throughout the guitars, with such beautiful, elegant panache and immaculate craft skills. This is truly work of a higher order of being than most of us mere mortals can achieve. I had exactly the same reaction to seeing your guitars in person for the first time, last year at the BIG show in New Braunfels TX. Triple- WOW! This is the kind of thing I look at and think, Hmmm, maybe I should quit lutherie and go back to digging ditches for a living- because I'll never measure up to THAT!

I steered Joel to your post this morning also, because I was raving about your work; and he is equally impressed. Joel has a similar approach to elegance of design, and uncluttered details, and like you, his craftsmanship is peerless. So, he was very appreciative of your work.
I hope you don't mind if I take some inspiration from this new build of yours, and try to do something that at least approaches this level of perfection on my next one.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:34 PM

Michael, that is a beautiful instrument. Stunning work all the way around!
Old 11-23-2023, 08:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Mike, I looked at this post this morning while I was soaking up a cup of French roast, and WOW. WOW WOW WOW!
I am absolutely smitten with your sense of design. I love how you integrate your themes throughout the guitars, with such beautiful, elegant panache and immaculate craft skills. This is truly work of a higher order of being than most of us mere mortals can achieve. I had exactly the same reaction to seeing your guitars in person for the first time, last year at the BIG show in New Braunfels TX. Triple- WOW! This is the kind of thing I look at and think, Hmmm, maybe I should quit lutherie and go back to digging ditches for a living- because I'll never measure up to THAT!

I steered Joel to your post this morning also, because I was raving about your work; and he is equally impressed. Joel has a similar approach to elegance of design, and uncluttered details, and like you, his craftsmanship is peerless. So, he was very appreciative of your work.
I hope you don't mind if I take some inspiration from this new build of yours, and try to do something that at least approaches this level of perfection on my next one.

Wow, thanks so much for the incredibly kind words! And it's extra meaningful coming from someone who's work I also admire. A few years back there was a fun group, The Mutual Admiration Society, that was made up of the members of Nickel Creek, John Paul Jones from Zeppelin, and Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket. I always loved the name/idea behind the group and thought it was applicable to the luthier community as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Michael, that is a beautiful instrument. Stunning work all the way around!

Thanks so much!
instagram
Old 11-23-2023, 08:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Michael, Your end graft miters and design are truly inspirational. Exquisitely crafted and surgically precise work! Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait to see it under finish.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:33 PM
Musical minimalist

The bridge is a piece of art all on it's own.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:46 AM

I can't pick out a favorite feature as they are all stunning, push comes to shove I would have to choose between the bride and the end wedge, but I do not know which way I would go. Outstanding work as always.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop