The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Default Taylor vs Breedlove

Any thoughts on Taylor guitars in comparison to Breedlove guitars? I have a couple of friends who have Breedloves and I have to say they are very nice guitars! I am still biased toward Taylor though. I don't know why. To me they sound better and feel better in my hands. It's just like with electrics..I've had many different ones over the years but always seem to come back to the Fender Strat. Taylor to me is very familiar and the look is killer...

I'm a Taylor guy through & through...

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM

I think you need to qualify between the Asian and American Breedloves. I have a Breedlove Atlas and, to my ears and fingers, doesn't satisfy me like my Taylor 314ce. I've never played an American Breedlove so I can't comment on that.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 PM

I've had lots of Taylors and several Breedloves. I think the newer Breedloves are pretty comparable to the newer Taylors. However, the older Breedloves I've had seemed too thin, tonally, for my liking--- whereas the older Taylors seem to age nicely and have plenty of body...

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Whippersnapper

I find Taylors to be more consistent up and down their entire line than Breedloves.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I asked the same question about a month ago. I was looking in the lower end of both brands. I think the Breedlove Atlas series compares very well to the Taylor 100-200 series. I really liked both Breedlove and Taylor. Both have nice necks, easy to play, a nice sound (although different). But I didn't like the sound of the lowest end Breedlove Passport series. You can hear the Taylor 114CE and the Breedlove Atlas here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylzfvH7uJvk

I ended up getting the Breedlove C25/SRe because I liked the sound a little better, and you get more features for the money.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 PM

My only experience with an American Breedlove was A/B comparing it to several Taylor's, Gibsons and Martins in a Guitar Center over the course of several visits. My feeling over those visits was that the Breedlove sounded choked or less open than any of the other guitars in a similar price range.

I was sexed up on the Breedlove because of their looks and having seen the Califoria Guitar Trio play Breedloves on one their tour several years ago. I wanted to like the Breedlove better but the sound of all of the Taylor GA and GS models that they had in stock sounded more clear and resonant to my ear.

My two cents . . . . Peace!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM

the american series concert with myrtylewood is really nice, i would love to play one, too bad they are a little difficult to find. They make around 80 guitars each week at the Breedlove factory, and about five times that many come through from korea, was just reading up on Breedlove.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 PM

To these ears and hands the Taylor 314 CE and the Breedlove American Series C25 are the best value in Acoustic/Electrics in the sub $2000 arena....

The necks and playability of both are pure joy.....The Breedlove concert-size body, deep Venetian cutaway, and slim neck offer great comfort and playability. The Taylor neck is like velvet....love it.....toss-up

Both are visually stunning, slight edge to Breedlove because of trend-setting in Headstock and Avian inspired winged pin-less bridge.....

Breedlove has the JDL truss Bridge system, Taylor does not.....
Breedlove has a graduated top thickness, Taylor does not.........
Taylor has dual source Expression Sound System, Breedlove does not....

Both are solid wood guitars, however Taylor cuts into their guitars for electronics, Breedlove Americans electronics are unobtrusive (they do not cut into the "revered" solid wood guitar)

2 totally different sounding guitars: Both have exquisite sustain & shimmering tones......The Taylor is decidedly brighter, (some don't like their brightness, I adore it) The Breedlove is more balanced and lush sounding.....could be because of the unobtrusive electronics...........No edge.....Both are stunning in what they do............

Taylors are mass-produced & mostly machined.....
Breedlove American is all Hand-Crafted in the USA. Their craftsmanship is top-notch and rivals that seen on many more expensive guitars

That said, the Taylor 314CE is an outstanding guitar & value that actually outperforms higher end Taylors.....BY FAR..........

You can't go wrong with either one......You buy one and you shouldn't ever have to look back......If you can't make great music with either of these......."it's not the guitar"...........

I personally think the fact that the Breedloves are Hand-Crafted and less available make it the choice for me......I don't want what everyone else has.....I like to be unique.................

So if I could only have one......I'll go Breedlove American...............................
Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 AM

There is something to be said for CNC machining, namely the precision and consistency of the final product. I think this process is sometimes vilified simply because a machine is used. Listen to Bob Taylor and he touts the process as a big reason for Taylor's consistently outstanding guitars. Based on what I've seen, it's hard to argue with him.

Taylor 814ce
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson SG '61 reissue
American Standard Strat
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jVHADLJIY0
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Of all the Taylors, my favorites have always been their 12-strings. However, one of the BEST 12-strings I've ever encountered was a Breedlove 12-string that was exceptional.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM

I used to own an Englemann spruce/Brazilian rosewood, Oregon-made Breedlove with the JLD bridge truss system. It was beautiful. I would take the Breedlove out from time to time, admire its beauty, play it for a few minutes and then feel the urge to put it down and pickup one of my Taylors instead. I simply preferred the tone and action of my Taylors one of which was an Englemann spruce/Brazilian rosewood model.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbat View Post
There is something to be said for CNC machining, namely the precision and consistency of the final product. I think this process is sometimes vilified simply because a machine is used. Listen to Bob Taylor and he touts the process as a big reason for Taylor's consistently outstanding guitars. Based on what I've seen, it's hard to argue with him.
I agree. I just recently read Bob's book "Guitar Lessons" and they are an industry leader in innovation and design of these machining processes. Handmade is not always synonymous with excellent quality although..yes there are pros to that process but to infer that a guitar that is machine made is not on the same level as a handmade guitar is IMHO not a point that I would necessarily agree with. Now..granted there are some absolutely wonderful handmade guitars out there...Collings being one that I would love to add to my inventory! They sound fantastic but I love all my Taylors. I have a friend of mine who has a C25 and they are beautiful but then again it always boils down to ultimately what you "like" when you play a guitar....

I love the discussion!

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Tonally Breedlove might have an edge with that funky bridge doctor thing they use but playability has to go to Taylor. From the models I've seen Breedlove quality is on par with Taylor.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek1500 View Post
I agree. I just recently read Bob's book "Guitar Lessons" and they are an industry leader in innovation and design of these machining processes. Handmade is not always synonymous with excellent quality although..yes there are pros to that process but to infer that a guitar that is machine made is not on the same level as a handmade guitar is IMHO not a point that I would necessarily agree with. Now..granted there are some absolutely wonderful handmade guitars out there...Collings being one that I would love to add to my inventory! They sound fantastic but I love all my Taylors. I have a friend of mine who has a C25 and they are beautiful but then again it always boils down to ultimately what you "like" when you play a guitar....

I love the discussion!
And Breedlove uses CNC machining as well.

Taylor 814ce
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson SG '61 reissue
American Standard Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion