The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2024, 02:55 AM

When I listen in order the guitars play in the clip, I prefer B but when I start from B and then listen to A, I slightly prefer A over B.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:08 AM

I prefer a, but sounds like they are both missing some warmth. Maybe bass missing. Not sure. Allergy season and seems like I hear different every day.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:11 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

BY contrast:

This is a direct comparison of the Goaa system to an Element system. Same pickup as the Anthem with out mike, to be fair we turned our mike off so its a direct pickup comparison.

This is 2 time Winfield champion Tim Thompson. Tim is not an online enfluencer, He tours using GoAA alongside of his son Myles who is a brilliant violinist. Tim he has to compete against violin every time he goes on stage.

Tim was using a customized Anthem preamp along with their frequency limited mic, but he converted the Element pickup to a Barbera. He has been using our system since 2019. The Anthem is different in that The under saddle is geared for low end and the mic is high end. So it is a dual signal. If you ever compare the Anthem to the Element the Element is much hotter. This is needed to balance the signal strength of the mic to the output of the pickup. I think the difference is in the output of around 14db if I remember correctly.

The guitar used here is a studio guitar and the owner keeps old strings on it for tracking. WE decided to use the strings to compare to get a funky rhythm sound which Tim wanted to show.

Even with the old strings the clarity of GoAA shines through.

There is no string definition in the Signal path of under saddle pickups. All strings are summed into one signal before leaving the bridge.

Also, we recorded the Element as installed in the guitar, then remove it and install the Go AA system. So this comparison is the exact same guitar with both Baggs and GoAA systems back to back.

I add this 2cnd video to show Feedback resistance. This is Shane Adkins, another Winfield champion playing GoAA for the first time in the hotel room of yet another Champion John Standefer.

I have never met Shane. This is a real reaction to a first time experience with something unexpected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUx...ew?usp=sharing

Half way through John cranks the amp up to show Shane the feedback resistance.

If what we do could be accomplished with a summed signal, containing all 6 strings from the bridge, we would have done it.

On this forum I see many question about various products.

These products boil down to a few repetitive approaches to amplifying sound. It does not matter what the brand is there are so many different angles to the question of how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin. The goal of most of these products is to be profitable with in a minimal OEM price point for new guitars. This ensures mass visibility and has developed an acceptance to the limitations of acoustic guitar amplification short comings.

Is it not time to compare to something conceptually different than the same old concepts presented? It is to be expected that there will be variables between different guitars using the same system.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Looks like I'm out on my own here Aaron!

I thought that B was clearer and crisper. On stage, I would want B coming out through the pa. I think that A would be very messy at a gig. It would get lost in the mix, so you would end up turning it up. This would just give a rolling low mid mess. B however you could keep at a lower spl and just have that nice rhythmic top end coming over clean in the mix. The B acoustic guitar could do its job as a rhythm instrument on stage better than the A acoustic guitar.

That's my take on it anyway.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:40 PM

A bit off topic, but I would love to one day compare tru-mic positions with an Anthem installation. I remember when I had the Lyric, I found a document from Baggs with three mic placement options. I posted it in this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=613596

Someone also did a recording of the three positons with the Lyric. The differences were noticeable. I know for me, the tru-mic always sounded a bit too bright/thin and midrange heavy. If I ever try an Anthem again, I would like to try positions #2 and 3. I never got to try it with the Lyric as I sold it off.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

So guitar A was my Martin HDC-28 Anthem and B was a Klos 3/4 Carbon guitar with a bolt on neck and the Anthem.

I felt the Klos held up very well considering but the plot has thickened a little.

I just checked the saddle and it is not flat in the middle. This is will certainly affect the string balance and overall sound.

My hope is that if I make this perfectly flat then the Klos will sound even better which could be quite amazing.

I will report back…
Old 03-30-2024, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Looks like I'm out on my own here Aaron!

I thought that B was clearer and crisper. On stage, I would want B coming out through the pa. I think that A would be very messy at a gig. It would get lost in the mix, so you would end up turning it up. This would just give a rolling low mid mess. B however you could keep at a lower spl and just have that nice rhythmic top end coming over clean in the mix. The B acoustic guitar could do its job as a rhythm instrument on stage better than the A acoustic guitar.

That's my take on it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
My preference is Guitar A, warm and round with nice presence.
IMO better for solo performers.

For someone in a band, Guitar B might cut through the mix a little better.
Not entirely on your own Robin. I agree that Guitar B would cut through a band mix. Cheers

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-01-2024, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

This was an interesting comparison. I used to believe that the Anthem was sort of a great equalizer meaning the sound would be very similar if not identical hearing the Anthem in two very different guitars. But this does prove that the Pickup reveals a reasonably true character of each guitar.

On the YouTube thread I said I chose Guitar "B" because it was clearer and had more treble content. Today (Before reading the rest of the thread including the reveal) I actually preferred Guitar "A" and I was going to say I'll be that's a Martin HDC-28E w/Anthem.

Lastly, Most of these pick ups sound harsh and congested (to my ears) when they are recorded "direct." I understand why Aaron did it this way and that's fine. It is way more scientific and limits any other variables. But I've found my guitars with Anthem sound better through my acoustic amps (Fishman Loudbox artist) and even better through my Bose L1 Pro 8 (Single or a pair), or through QSC K8.2's.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification