The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Btw, for the person who posted the query I did not have to pay any import taxes or anything ... maybe because it came from this "New Jersey" place.
....probably guessed right.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM

Well I wanted an update on that Sonicake Factory A unit I purchased. I tested it out against my Behringer ADI-21 at the same settings as best I could.

The verdict ... although I liked the Sonicake's reverb option and , of course, the hard metal shell, I just found that I could control feedback with the ADI-21 better than with the Sonicake. That surprised me as the Sonicake has two controls while the ADI-21 just has one.

I tried playing both devices with the same guitar(s) and I found that the Sonicake sounded better on a few settings (with the reverb off) but the ADI-21 just sounded better overall I thought.

I just couldn't get the Sonicake to do much to control feedback and I tried as many settings as possible, including lowering the mid control ... but it just wouldn't tame feedback as much as the ADI-21.

But that reverb is very nice and so is the metal shell and the overall cosmetic appearance of the unit.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 04-05-2024, 02:32 PM

I found adding a TC Helicon body Rez or a Boss AD2 with Acoustic Resonance, adding one of these to the Behringer ADI21 VTone Acoustic Driver Di pedal made for a setup to dial in a really nice acoustic tone. I ran the blend knob on the ADI 21 around 30-40 percent and I had the sweepable mid freq. set to about 10 o'clock then turned the mid knob level down to make a cut at that frequency. I am thinking that mid frequency at 10 o'clock is around 800 hertz. Then set the bass and treble to my liking. The body Rez set to like 1 o'clock. This is as good of tone as any pedal combo I have tried. I had a round $75 in the used body Rez and $30 in the ADI21. Cheap way to dial in a very nice tone.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbaird View Post
I found adding a TC Helicon body Rez or a Boss AD2 with Acoustic Resonance, adding one of these to the Behringer ADI21 VTone Acoustic Driver Di pedal made for a setup to dial in a really nice acoustic tone. I ran the blend knob on the ADI 21 around 30-40 percent and I had the sweepable mid freq. set to about 10 o'clock then turned the mid knob level down to make a cut at that frequency. I am thinking that mid frequency at 10 o'clock is around 800 hertz. Then set the bass and treble to my liking. The body Rez set to like 1 o'clock. This is as good of tone as any pedal combo I have tried. I had a round $75 in the used body Rez and $30 in the ADI21. Cheap way to dial in a very nice tone.
I really had little problem with the sound quality of the ADA-21 ... I was just concerned by its construction. Perhaps as others suggested a good option would be to just to buy another one as a standby unit.But the AD-2 was on my short list of candidates so I may go that route eventually.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification