The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 11:45 PM

Default Can A Lowered Break Angle Affect Intonation?

Hey Guys,We have had a number of our POWER PIN users, claim that they actually improved, the intonation on their guitar. One of them is a texas based musician, who Joe Ely has them on his Taylor T-5s. His guitar tech contacted me , and told me that he had been going to bring it to a Taylor, to correct the intonation, but after he installed the POWER PINS it wasnt necessary. Can anyone explain why this could possibly be happening, or is it psycho acoustics, snake oil .and or a tone killer,anyone have an insight? Thanks =AC=
Old 08-30-2015, 12:12 AM

Well it seems to be recurring from disparate sources, and absolutely unsolicited. Thanks for you opinion.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:12 AM

Unless your power pins change where the string breaks on the saddle....no change to intonation.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac2300 View Post
Well it seems to be recurring from disparate sources, and absolutely unsolicited. Thanks for you opinion.
Well it would be a helpful selling point for you. Go for the testimonials.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 AM

Thats what i thought too, but they are adamant that they changed nothing else.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Well it would be a helpful selling point for you. Go for the testimonials.
I dont want to do that , if theres no way of explaining it, im hoping someone has an answer.Thanks for your input.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac2300 View Post
I dont want to do that , if theres no way of explaining it, im hoping someone has an answer.Thanks for your input.
You have a group of people that have altered their guitars in the same way, spent a little money on it, and weren't too skeptical to be trying it in the first place. A pretty
good percentage will be looking for some changes in their guitars as a result, intonation changes would be one (not a very logical one, but one nevertheless). A certain
percentage will "hear" those changes (with a new set of strings most often BTW) whether real or not.

That is my answer.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
You have a group of people that have altered their guitars in the same way, spent a little money on it, and weren't to skeptical to be trying it in the first place. A pretty good percentage will be looking for some changes in their guitars as a result, intonation changes would be one (not a very logical one, but one nevertheless). A certain percentage will "hear" those changes (with a new set of strings most often BTW) whether real or not.

That is my answer.
Stop being so logical!
Old 08-30-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
You have a group of people that have altered their guitars in the same way, spent a little money on it, and weren't too skeptical to be trying it in the first place. A pretty
good percentage will be looking for some changes in their guitars as a result, intonation changes would be one (not a very logical one, but one nevertheless). A certain
percentage will "hear" those changes (with a new set of strings most often BTW) whether real or not.

That is my answer.
Very good,i like it!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:45 PM

Unlike claims about changes in tone, this is something that is amenable to objective measurements. Maybe you should do some? Trevor Gore maintains that having 'straight pull' on the strings at the head improves the intonation by allowing the back strings to stretch a bit, reducing the amount the strings go sharp when they're fretted. Since he's arguing that on the basis of data he got, I'm accepting it for now. So there's a theory you could go on, and a method for testing it out. I'm not sure that the 'backstring' length on a 'Power Pin' is enough to matter, but maybe the pins themselves flex a bit and give the same result? Just thinking on the keyboard...

I DID do experiments with changing the break angle on a guitar a while back, but not using 'Power Pins'. What I found was the break angle, BY ITSELF, made no difference in the sound of the guitar. Since I did all of my experiments with open string notes I can't speak to intonation issues.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Unlike claims about changes in tone, this is something that is amenable to objective measurements. Maybe you should do some? Trevor Gore maintains that having 'straight pull' on the strings at the head improves the intonation by allowing the back strings to stretch a bit, reducing the amount the strings go sharp when they're fretted. Since he's arguing that on the basis of data he got, I'm accepting it for now. So there's a theory you could go on, and a method for testing it out. I'm not sure that the 'backstring' length on a 'Power Pin' is enough to matter, but maybe the pins themselves flex a bit and give the same result? Just thinking on the keyboard...

I DID do experiments with changing the break angle on a guitar a while back, but not using 'Power Pins'. What I found was the break angle, BY ITSELF, made no difference in the sound of the guitar. Since I did all of my experiments with open string notes I can't speak to intonation issues.
Thanks so much Alan, i thought you might have an idea about this. We have several small boutique guitar makers testing them now, and ill see if they might be able to try that.

Last edited by ac2300; 08-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion