The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFive View Post
Rotate ice and heat on your elbow area. 20 min each. Four times a night....Every night for a week. Also take 800 mg of Tylenol three times a day for a week. Rest your elbow for a week, even if it feels better. Then...see how you feel. Worked for me. Good luck.
I think you mean 800mg of ibuprofen...that is the prescription dose for that over the counter drug...

it's an NSAID...nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug...and yeah it will certainly help with any swelling associated with the issues
Agreed. DO NOT take that much Tylenol!! It will kill you or destroy your liver. Ibuprofen at that dose is ok for short term use.

Martin D-35
Taylor 314ce
Fender Classic Series 60's
Epi LP Tribute Plus
Vox AC15
Vox VT40+
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Larry, I notice that you play with the neck of your guitar upright. Do you think this method can reduce elbow, shoulder and wrist strain?

Paul
Old 08-30-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodgers View Post
I'm still fairly young, but have noticed after playing a while that I have pain in the elbow area. Is this a bad sign?
Hi strummers and pluckers and Hi DR.

Your question has been very well answered, however:-

It could be bad news but why? 2 things are likely , and in experience they could be the following:
1. the guitar ( what ever breed) is too big for you.
2. you are not holding the guitar correctly.

Often happens when you generally over stretch to play and you immediately put pressure on your elbow and the tendons underneath.

What to do:
Make an appointment to see a good Physio, then play for a good hour or until the pain returns. Then go to see the 'good Physio' ( have to plan the playing)!
He will tell you if he/she thinks you have the dreaded T/E and advise.

All however is not lost.
I would suggest a small 'parlor guitar' and be done with it,
S
Old 08-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Dan - Charter Member

My PT showed me a simple way to do effective icing, using something called a Cryocup.

It's very easy to apply the ice directly to the affected spot and move it around. You just need a towel to catch the drips.

You can buy the above (about $7), but I made one out of two plastic drinking cups (disposable or not). Cut the bottom off of one cup about 2" below the rim. Nest the cups. Fill with water and freeze. Remove the bottom cup, running water over it to melt the ice a little if necessary to separate. Hold by the rim you created from the cut top cup.

The Cryocup is a little fancier: it has some wings on the inner cup that keep the ice from slipping upwards. But I didn't find that to be a problem.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for the informative responses. I'm going to test with the OM and then the slope. Just to see if there are any differences after playing.

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 08-30-2015, 07:36 PM

I think it deserves mentioning that inspite of many physical problems I sustained due to playing guitar, and which could easily be attributed to the guitar's size, all I needed was a moment to recuperate.
After all, playing guitar is not unlike a sport and it needs gradual build up of muscle and learning correct posture.

I've never had to resort to playing a smaller body guitar, I didn't have one. I just continued playing the way I used to after a healing break, and even today at 63 years (soon) I still play dreads without any restriction.

It even helped my athritis since I restarted playing app. 4 years ago, after a forced break of about 5 years. I slowly build up my strength and increased my hand and finger dexterity, stopped playing when I noticed any pain or severe fatigue.

Today I play several hour sessions a day without any repercussions. I just mean to say that if you pay appropiate attention to your physical situation and understand that you're doing sport there's no need for treatment in most situations, your body will addapt and you'll do fine even if the guitar is a larger one.

Plenty of small (and big) Mexicans are playing gigantic guitars and have no problem whatsoever and I just can't see em all taking Ibuprofen or whatever to do it. In fact I think suggesting the use of medical aid isn't very helpfull in most cases, unless you're absolutely sure something has really changed in your physical status. We're not miners or dockworkers, but even if you are you're unlikley to start using pain killers just because you over did it.

Ludwig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion