The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Default Somewhat off topic

There is only one music store in my town and it is not too good and could never qualify as a favorite. Aside from not maintaining a stock of anything resembling a moderate or high end guitars and poorly stocking only a few of the brands of equipment I use, they sell their heavily used and abused instruments as new. When I tried to get a new (factory fresh) bass from them for my daughter for xmas, I was told: "Sure, no problem!" Two weeks later, just a few days from xmas, they shipped one from their other store in a community 20 miles down the road that was as heavily used as the one I had already rejected as used from this local store. Luckily, my friends at Sweetwater came through and expressed mailed me a truly factory fresh one that arrived in time for xmas and comped me the express shipping (as most of the guitars on my sigi have been bought from them, ie I am a good customer of theirs). So I'd have to say that, although it's many states away, Sweetwater is my favorite local guitar store.

Soooooo .... to those of you who are lucky enough to have a "favorite" local store, count your blessings because they don't exist in all communities.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 AM

In San Antonio it is Guitar Tex. Great shop run by very knowledgable musicians. The owner, Mark Waldrop, is an excellent player and luthier. Everyone there is of the same caliber. Very helpful. They don't hover over you when you are in their shop so they make you feel like a customer and not like you are being cross-examined. They carry Martin, Larrivee, Huss and Dalton and Recording King. All types beginner entry level instruments to the finest instruments you can find anywhere. Mostly focused on acoustic guitars but have some excellent electrics as well. Lots of high quality mandolins and ukeles.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Ben's guitar repair in Columbia, Mo. I take all of my guitars there for setups and to buy my accessories. Friendly, they know me by name, they treat me well, have excellent prices, and they are local.

I just took my Martin to them for a repair. I will admit, I am nervous about leaving my Martin anywhere to have fixed.

(I put a small crack in the side. Don't ask me how I did it. I'm embarrassed to say)
Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I don't live there anymore but I still love Ithaca Guitar Works in Ithaca, NY.

A pretty small shop, and every inch of it is covered in drool-worthy guitars. I fondly remember spending many hours there in college just playing and dreaming that someday I could afford one of their Martins.

The staff is super nice too and always willing to give free advice to a kid who thinks he know more than he actually does

-Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 12:00 PM

The Fret house in Covina Ca,
nice people and very nice guitar selection.
Dave
Old 08-29-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Have you been to Retrofret in Brooklyn? Always an amazing inventory of old, great guitars and other instruments.
Brooklyn? Where's that? Do I need a passport to get there?

Heck, it's a rare day when I get above 23rd street!

Only kidding, of course. But, in fact, I've been to every guitar shop on Manhattan and even take the ferry from time to time to visit Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island, but I have never been to Retrofit. Thanks for the prompt. I'll go next week! That is, if my passport is in order
Old 08-29-2015, 12:10 PM

Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments is here in Missoula. Wonderful people and so supportive of every level of player. They always have an interesting number of instruments hanging on the walls. Just a fun place to stop by with a question or to shop for anything from a string to an instrumet.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:21 PM

In the LA area its McCabes, Santa Monica. Just an unreal selection of upper, upper hand made guitars. Of course they have trickle down also. And what a beautiful park by the ocean.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I've been going to Gryphon for decades now. All you will ever need in a guitar shop. I'll go by Sylvan in Santa Cruz every once in a while, and Guitar Showcase is close for strings or more electric stuff, but their upstairs acoustic room has come a long way.

I bought my M 36 from Stevie Coyle when he worked at Gryphon, so really should check out Mighty Fine Guitars, but most of his inventory exceeds my personal spending limit as does Steve Swan's shop in Burlingame. I've got major banner Gibson lust, so don't want to torture myself going there.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 PM

Ten years ago I would have said MandoBros, hands down...

Haven't set foot in Umanov's in 30+ years, when I brought in my then-new Ovation for a routine setup and got a load of attitude and a faceful of wisearse comments...

Read lotsa good things about Rudy's Soho and Retrofret - heard the former is everything MandoBros was in its prime - but haven't had the chance to check them out yet...

Got two places hiding in plain sight in the Tri-State area that are my current faves - one for recently-discontinued models, the other a repository of mid/late 20th-century NOS - but I'll just keep those my little secret...
Old 08-29-2015, 01:08 PM

In Pittsburgh, PA, there are 2 stores I frequently visit; Empire Music and Pianos 'N Stuff. Both stores have a good number of high end acoustic guitars from Martin and Taylor.
Joe, the owner of the Empire Music, is a super nice guy who is impressively knowledgeable. At the Pianos 'N Stuff, Jason is my go-to guy, who is also super nice.
There is another site in Squirrel Hill area called Acoustic Music Works, which I have never visited. This store is specialized in Collings and Bourgeois. I'm planning to visit there soon.
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
[Sound Clips Here]
Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijas99 View Post
I would have to say my favorite music store is Wildwood Music, located in Coshocton Ohio. The store is just a little over 1 hr away from me, but well worth the drive. They always have a great inventory of instruments, guitars, dulcimers & banjos. Mostly Martins, Taylors & Larrivees, but they do have Bourgeios, Gallagher and a few others.
Its always such a good time there. The are located in an old 2 story Lockkeeprs house along the old Erie canal. They have a few instruments out hanging on display, must most are in their cases leaning against the wall. You just grab whatever you want and play 10 minutes or all day, in does not matter. The 2 owners, Marty and Don are wonderful folks, very knowledgeable, helpful and fun to talk to. Just a great play to purchase a guitar,,,, or not.
I'm usually there all day !
+1...I LOVE Wildwood Music for all those same reasons. Over the years Don & Marty have become friends, and although almost 2-hours from me, I make the trip 2-3 times a year. Nothing else closer really compares...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 PM

I have to mention Guitar Emporium in Louisville. We had a scare a couple years back when Jimmy Brown decided to retire and it closed for awhile, but it's back open under new ownership and it seems not much has changed. They have a good selection of new stuff (Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Fender, etc) but the vintage things they get in are what keeps be stopping in every now and then. They also have a quality staff made up of very talanted musicians. I do sometimes feel a little guilty that i don't spend much there, though. I'm pretty much GAS free these days
Old 08-29-2015, 01:48 PM

I love Soundpure as well, but the fact that 90% of their inventory is out of my price range tempers my enthusiasm a bit.

As a buyer, I'm pretty much relegated to the Eastman wall at Soundpure ...

Fortunately, as a frequent Eastman purchaser, I do get to sample the more exotic ware that they have to offer and that's a pleasure. Not sure where else I get to play around with multiple examples of Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz, McPhereson, Goodall, Olson, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Gotta be Soundpure in Durham for me. Incredible selection of wonderful instruments, and Robinson is awesome to work with. Twice I have had the acoustic room to myself, to play anything I wanted to. He's worked with me on finding guitars that fit what I want, even if that changes like the breeze.

Also, Rob, their luthier, is really down to earth and super helpful if you need anything adjusted or tweaked.

Honorable mention to Harry's in Raleigh, cause I love those guys, but Soundpure gets the nod!

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 08-29-2015, 02:11 PM

McCabes Santa Monica, great selection, many books and DVD's ect, best live acoustic show on the planet!

Don't Think Twice It's Alright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion