The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Default Mahogany Madness...

I have been playing Martin rosewood dreads since I bought my first one in 1972. A couple of years ago I bought a D-18 (2011) just before the "Big Change". Then last year, I stumbled onto a 1961 D-18 that had been around the block a few times and then some. It sounded so good that it came home with me. The more I played these two guitars, the more I liked the sound. Now, enter a "new, improved" 2012 model that I got used for a song. Other than the neck, which I have been struggling to get used to, this thing blows me away. I can't seem to play anything else (except to occasionally compare guitars), including my rosewoods. Besides wondering which guitars to sell, I have been getting bad GAS pains for a D-18V with a more hand-filling neck, or maybe even an old D-18S slot-head. I have considered professional help, but that would only cut into my guitar money. For the record, I have so far been able to block Authentics and Golden Eras from my mind for the time being. Should I fight these urges, or just go further down the mahogany rabbit hole?

Last edited by Mr Bojangles; 08-28-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Jump on in!

While I'm branching out into rosewood of late, Mahogany back and sides are the ones that stick around! IMHO, it's hard to beat a good D18!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM

back in 2005, from the moment I picked up a new Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar. I knew I wasn't walking out of the store and leaving it there. And this as after trying a whole bunch of other guitars they had. and the funny thing is, I never intended on buying a guitar, never mind one that at the time, was $2k

Something about the way that guitar resonates/vibrates against the human body, I'd never experienced anything like it before. 10 years later, still my "go to" acoustic. (I have three others, 2 are rosewood and spruce)
Old 08-27-2015, 01:59 PM

I played a 1969 D-18 for 20 years, banged and dinged the crap out of it and it me. Went to OM's when my shoulder told me to stop it!!!

I am a huge Mahogany fan as everybody who knows me knows. I have 5 different Mahogany guitars.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:00 PM

I always thought that mahogany was for those who couldn't afford the rosewood models. A few years back I woke up. When you play one with an adi top you'll find the magic combination that produces THE guitar sound. I have sold all my rosewood Martins and now play an Eastman E10D.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I have considered professional help, but that would only cut into my guitar money.
HAHAHA, GAS is a terrible and deeply incurable sickness, mahogany is one of the coolest tonewood, so I just can sympathise
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 08-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I played a 1969 D-18 for 20 years, banged and dinged the crap out of it and it me. Went to OM's when my shoulder told me to stop it!!!

I am a huge Mahogany fan as everybody who knows me knows. I have 5 different Mahogany guitars.

What a beauty!
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 PM

No finer acoustic guitar on the planet than a D18 if you ask me.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
... I picked up a new Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar... Something about the way that guitar resonates/vibrates against the human body, I'd never experienced anything like it before. 10 years later, still my "go to" acoustic. (I have three others, 2 are rosewood and spruce)
I had that same experience with a 512ce 12-fret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
I always thought that mahogany was for those who couldn't afford the rosewood models. A few years back I woke up. When you play one with an adi top you'll find the magic combination that produces THE guitar sound. I have sold all my rosewood Martins and now play an Eastman E10D.
I tried really hard to like Rosewood because of this very thing. I found out I really like Mahogany and I only have one Rosewood/Cedar topped guitar left in the bunch. Every other guitar I have is Mahogany or something close in tone (Koa, Walnut). I love Mahogany! Recently bought a Gibson Keb Mo wth adirondack top and I love it for finger style and strumming. Just perfect!!

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 AM

I have one rosewood guitar. The other four are mahogany.

I love the tone!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

My group is a bit slanted toward rosewood but close to half and half mahogany/rosewood. Played last night with a group where by chance all the guitars were mahogany. An older D-18V, my D-18 Adi, a 1965 J-45, and a current Hummingbird. They blended extremely well. Great night for music and one I had to tear myself away from. Around here these "song circles" happen way too infrequently?

Jon @ MFG has a D-18 Adirondack with VTS torrified top. If I was looking for another mahogany dread that would be the one!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 08-28-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Mr. B, I think you should just give up and jump further down the rabbit hole!

I didn't get my first Mahogany guitar until 2011… it was a little 00-15M. But I immediately fell in love with it and now it is one of 7 Mahogany guitars, 5 of them all-Mahogany. I love the crisp, precise, well-balanced sound much more than EIR. It's all personal preference, but for me, Mahogany can't be beat.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM

Default Hog Heaven!

Hard to beat HOG, Jump in the rabit hole with the rest of us, there is plenty of room in the Inn!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Pedestrian hogs...Harmony H165...one piece solid Honduras Mahogany top and back and solid Honduras Mahogany sides....South American rosewood fretboard.

Harmony H162...same but with a spruce top

Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm 50/50 with guitars I own. I find there are things I really like about each. When I want a full and lush big sound, I go for a big rosewood guitar. Tight and focused, I reach for the Martin 15. Bright and lively, the Pono parlor produces the rosewood ring without smearing the notes.

Dry and cheesy? Out comes the solid birch Harmony.

Old time back woodsy? Grab the cigar box.

They all have their place.

And please do go down the sinkhole.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion