The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzd View Post
Yep. No way it cracked that badly in that case.
I take it you haven't read the entire thread.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I take it you haven't read the entire thread.
Or maybe just disagrees with those who theorize -- and that's what we're all doing -- that the damage could have occurred without opening the case.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 AM

I showed these pictures and shared the basic information with a couple of engineers from work - one is a materials engineer and the other is our failure analyst. They have been mulling it over since yesterday afternoon so I'm going to go check with them and see what their thoughts are.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
I showed these pictures and shared the basic information with a couple of engineers from work - one is a materials engineer and the other is our failure analyst. They have been mulling it over since yesterday afternoon so I'm going to go check with them and see what their thoughts are.
I would be interested in their thoughts since we all are really just theorizing. I'm particularly interested in how a guitar gets that kind of damage when the case remains virtually unscathed. Carbon fiber is strong but....
Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
I showed these pictures and shared the basic information with a couple of engineers from work - one is a materials engineer and the other is our failure analyst.
I'm a Materials Scientist and Physicist.

The guitar was clearly dropped on concrete from several feet up, and landed on the front edge binding. The top then failed due to instantaneous compression loading.

Impossible to take that kind of damage while in the case. (IMO)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-29-2015, 12:57 AM

I saw this on Facebook first. Someone made several responses, stating that he was a luthier and had seen many instruments damaged in flight, and that it was virtually never the fault of the airline or TSA. He said the case was a cheap knockoff and insufficient to protect the guitar from normal shifting and falls that could occur in the plane's baggage hold. Also made some disparaging statements about Dave Carroll (United Breaks Guitars). Of all of the negative experiences I've read about on this forum and elsewhere, that musicians have had with airlines, I've never seen anything like it before. Makes one wonder if he is used as some kind of expert consultant by airlines. Name was Paul something. I could probably find it. Wasn't going to include his name, but he had no qualms about doing so on fb, do why should I?

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 08-29-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
I saw this on Facebook first. Someone made several responses, stating that he was a luthier and had seen many instruments damaged in flight, and that it was virtually never the fault of the airline or TSA. He said the case was a cheap knockoff and insufficient to protect the guitar from normal shifting and falls that could occur in the plane's baggage hold. Also made some disparaging statements about Dave Carroll (United Breaks Guitars). Of all of the negative experiences I've read about on this forum and elsewhere, that musicians have had with airlines, I've never seen anything like it before. Makes one wonder if he is used as some kind of expert consultant by airlines. Name was Paul something. I could probably find it. Wasn't going to include his name, but he had no qualms about doing so on fb, do why should I?
I read through the responses to Don Ross' post and couldn't find the one you mention, but I did see what I thought a really useful piece of advice from one poster. It won't stop baggage handlers mistreating the case, but it will stop any TSA goons from mistreating the contents.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:09 PM

i read through the responses again last night, too, and they were nowhere to be found. Apparently he removed them. Needless to say, he go some pretty strong responses and maybe he decided it might not do his business any good to leave them up. Pretty inflammatory for him to say that Don had used a "cheap knockoff" case when Dan had clearly stated this the same case Yo-yo Ma uses for his cello and to insult Dave Carroll who has quite a following. I really wish I could remember the guy's name.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 PM

Its just a guitar and can easily be replaced, I'm sure Don would sound just as good on a nice new one.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Its just a guitar and can easily be replaced, I'm sure Don would sound just as good on a nice new one.
Yes, and in the grand scheme of things, if this is the worst he experiences in his life it will have been a good life ... but .... there is no excuse for how this happened and goes beyond negligent into the criminally malicious realm !!

And raises the interesting notion, would we be better shipping our cases in "low dollar" looking apparel in the hopes of not screaming to the malicious psychopathic handler: "There's a very expensive guitar in here."

I know of more than one professional guitarist that take their high dollar guitars out of the factory case or custom cases when traveling to a gig because it advertises to criminals: "Here is a good steal, if you can get it." Cheap cases suggest cheap guitars not worth the time or effort to steal or maliciously destroy.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 08-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I think Don has some strong feelings about his instruments. He had at least one guitar stolen several years back and offered a reward to get it back (which I believe he did). Replacing it is not as easy as getting Marc to build another.

While they are just "things", they are "our things", and people need to respect that, including the TSA.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I read through the responses to Don Ross' post and couldn't find the one you mention, but I did see what I thought a really useful piece of advice from one poster. It won't stop baggage handlers mistreating the case, but it will stop any TSA goons from mistreating the contents.

This will also guarantee that your guitar must be checked at the luggage counter, and cannot be carried on or gate checked. Your case will be opened and guitar inspected while you watch, after you wait at the luggage counter for someone from TSA to be called to do it.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 08-30-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Or maybe just disagrees with those who theorize -- and that's what we're all doing -- that the damage could have occurred without opening the case.
Well, in my experience, it could have.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Well, in my experience, it could have.
Not the same scenario. While I personally wouldn't rule out anything, I tend to think the damage occurred when the instrument was taken out of the case, since the case was indeed opened, as evidenced by the TSA note, and the case isn't a conventional hardshell, rather a $1,500 Kevlar-reinforced carbon fiber flight case with shock suspension.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 AM

It sounds like Mr. Ross will get compensated. I cringed. I imagine it was a very nice guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion