The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM

A guy who imports guitars and knows how customs work explained to me that if they can't get a case open, they just push in a crowbar and force the case open with certain damage to the contents. Could well be the case here.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 08-22-2015, 04:35 PM

Quite frankly I find this really painful to look at. God forbid. Don't they have surveillance footage everywhere, can't this be traced? I don't know what I would do to the Airline company, let's just say I'd become a social media/youtube expert at destroying them.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 PM

Doesn't matter what the "case" for the destruction of that guitar was, it is negligence on the part of the airline. ( Unless, of course something illegal was found in the case). That damage didn't happen when the guitar was in that case. Sad, but it happens all too often and is usually caught on a camera in the handling dock if inquiries are made. However, due to recent media attention on this subject, airlines are getting better at compensation for this.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM

That is disgraceful. We are talking what looks like a Calton or similar case which shows no impact damage: no way is that accidental damage caused by security staff taking reasonable care. I really feel for Don, who not only is one of the finest guitar players on the planet, but is also a really nice guy to talk with.

Latest on his fb page is this:

Here's the latest. Aircanada (who actually ticketed this flight, even though only the last of the four flights on the trip was with AC) contacted me and has offered to pay for a rental replacement and has told me to get a repair estimate and they will cover the repair. Thanks to everyone who has been sharing this info...it's making a difference. The Toronto Star will hopefully be running an article about the misadventure.

I wonder if AirCanada realises this is not some run of the mill Martin or Gibson, but a Beneteau: that is going to be one tasty repair quote, though it's not going to make up for the (hopefully only temporary) loss of one of his main touring instruments.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
That is disgraceful. We are talking what looks like a Calton or similar case which shows no impact damage: no way is that accidental damage caused by security staff taking reasonable care. I really feel for Don, who not only is one of the finest guitar players on the planet, but is also a really nice guy to talk with.

Latest on his fb page is this:

Here's the latest. Aircanada (who actually ticketed this flight, even though only the last of the four flights on the trip was with AC) contacted me and has offered to pay for a rental replacement and has told me to get a repair estimate and they will cover the repair. Thanks to everyone who has been sharing this info...it's making a difference. The Toronto Star will hopefully be running an article about the misadventure.

I wonder if AirCanada realises this is not some run of the mill Martin or Gibson, but a Beneteau: that is going to be one tasty repair quote, though it's not going to make up for the (hopefully only temporary) loss of one of his main touring instruments.
I'm amazed it's worked out like this. I don't even know how you repair this, at least a new top but do you need sides at that point as well?

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 PM

That makes me sick to look at it.

The terrorists have certainly won.

Last edited by Guest316; 08-23-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Edited out masked profanity
Old 08-22-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Well, I didn't know he was Canadian or British. (I've never heard of him)Even so, that's why MP's exist, to serve their constituents. Get some diplomatic complaint filed and see if the governments can do something about compensation.
A lawyer would be more appropriate.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Reading the TSA label pictured, the guitar was chosen for inspection. If the case was locked they have the right to damage the lock for access. It almost looks like they went nuts on the carbon case and after getting access they took their frustration out on the guitar. Not nice. I wonder how this will work out. (edit: also, since two airlines are mentioned, I think the case was flagged during baggage exchange between airlines.)
At the risk of hitting the "political" button - after several trips through US airports, this good old Canadian Kid has observed that most of the TSA agents I have seen would not be welcome in my country, home, or general vicinity without adult supervision ... rant over
Kronbauer - TDK Mini Jumbo"Rosewood"
Kronbauer - Willy D "Ghost Rider"
Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 PM

I'm glad AirCanada stepped up quickly to cover the damage/write off. Hopefully, they've got some video footage of the baggage gorilla that did that.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 08-22-2015, 07:34 PM

I'm not crying but am pretty ticked even though this is not my guitar. I also happen to be a Don Ross fan.

I can't think other than that this is deliberate. A carbon fiber case can and will withstand all of what airport logistics could throw at it. Even if this guitar was "flagged" the damage done to this guitar (I think it is a Greenfield?) is just beyond excusable. There should be more accountability and we shouldn't feel so powerless when it comes to our instruments.

I say that going forward, any time a TSA agent or otherwise opens one of these up that they must have a body cam or so other kind of monitoring device so that if and when this kind of thing happens there is direct responsibility on appropriate parties to compensate- IF that is even possible. Do these people not understand that we are not just talking about pricey instruments? These guitars can and often do become literal extensions of ourselves- saying that they gain sentimental value with us is an understatement. United/ Canada Air is also the same company that destroyed Calum Graham's guitar a few years ago. Perhaps when the punishment fits the crime we will see a stop put to this!

I offered a rant but also a solution.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:45 PM

That is horrible. I hope he sues them $20,000 for a new high end guitar. Then maybe they'd get the message. And I am also a Don Ross fan, he is one of Canada's best guitarists.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Having seen Don Ross playing that guitar, I'm pleased for him that the air carrier
is stepping up.
If you get a chance to catch one of his shows, it's time very well spent, as he's a very engaging person along with being a stellar player.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post

Not a common instrument regardless.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Not his killer Beneteau! Man, that guitar has always looked awesome to me. He should have someone re-top it, I suppose. Given how cool Mark Beneteau is, I wouldn't be surprised if he offered to help Don in some way.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy D View Post
At the risk of hitting the "political" button - after several trips through US airports, this good old Canadian Kid has observed that most of the TSA agents I have seen would not be welcome in my country, home, or general vicinity without adult supervision ... rant over
I agree, and that's another good reason I don't plan to return to the land of my birth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion