The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Funky Used Case

I recently got a used Tweedy 00 DB that came with it's Martin thermoplastic 620 hard case. Problem is, the case really sealed in the flavor of something. Thankfully the guitar is odor free so it must have been stored out of the case. I personally keep it out on the stand at home.

The case on the other hand has a musty, dirt smell. I think somebody over humidified it perhaps and the plastic just sealed it in there. I haven't had one of these cases before, but this can't be a glue or plastic smell.

Anyone else run across this with these???

I tried my dryer sheet trick, but it didn't release any of the smell. I'm also thinking about ozonating it to see if that will salvage it. But I'll likely just disclose the problem and sell the case for cheap after that, and get a new one that fits a 00-DB.

Anyone have any experience with alternative cases for the Tweedy?
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 AM

Might try leaving it open, outsde on a bright sunny day or two. Not unusual to have a glue smell but this sounds a bit odd.
Good luck!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:03 AM

I have been scratching for a solution to this musty guitar case too. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ht=musty+smell
I believe what is needed is something which will kill off he mold spores, and not just mask or absorb because it just keeps coming back. I've even gone so far as to shampoo the insides with a small spot carpet cleaner I have. Still didn't solve it. So far the best results have come from spraying the inside with Lysol, sunshine, and stuff in it full of newspaper. I have an Ozinator and put it thru a 12 hour cycle, and a couple 1 hour cycles. If you figure it out please let us know.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM

Oh, and somebody here suggested cat-liter (indicating that it solved a host of rather nasty odors. Tried it. Didn't work.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:34 PM

Well, I'll post my progress (if there is any). I'm going to wash this sucker out and bake it in the Florida sun and in the back of a covered truck at 140 degrees and see what happens.
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 08-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Two things that worked for me. Try Febreze, it make take a few applications. The other thing that seemed to work was ground coffee. Put it on a shallow plate and close the case and leave it closed for two or three days. Another thing that might work is baking soda. Leaving it open outside on a sunny dry day couldn't hurt. Good luck.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 08-30-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmruegg View Post
Two things that worked for me. Try Febreze, it make take a few applications. The other thing that seemed to work was ground coffee. Put it on a shallow plate and close the case and leave it closed for two or three days. Another thing that might work is baking soda. Leaving it open outside on a sunny dry day couldn't hurt. Good luck.
I have used White Vinegar, Coffee, Cat Liter, Dryer Sheets, Carpet Shampoo, and Baking Soda - none of that worked, within a couple days it was funky again. I have not yet tried some of that pet-urine cleanup stuff, I don't have a dog so I keep forgetting that stuff.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Those 620 cases seem to all have a funk to them? I had a Tweedy and sold it. The case had "that" smell. I have a custom D-28 with scalloped X bracing and a 12/4 neck and 1.75" nut in the 620 case. It has the same smell? Obnoxious...no, just odd and almost chemical like to me? My other Martin's smell wonderful so I know it's the 620 case. That case is probably bullet proof but at what cost to the senses?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion