The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 PM

Default Played a Keith Urban guitar yesterday

There was a used Keith Urban guitar at my local Guitar Center yesterday . . the first one I've ever seen in person.

Amazingly, it was quite the responsive instrument. And the tone wasn't bad at all.

The setup, however, left a great deal to be desired. I'm not sure if this is how they come from the factory, of if it's atypical of what the guitars are usually like, but this one had an action that was a "mile high". Somewhat playable for "cowboy chords", but certainly not as easy as it should be. IOW, I've seen worse, but not often. To be fair, I've seen worse in that same store with a particular Martin D-18 Authentic.

I'm not sure how much adjusting the relief of the neck would help (it looked fairly straight). It probably needed some saddle removed, and there was probably room to do so, but I think it would've left the saddle quite a bit low for a relatively new guitar.

By contrast, the inexpensive ($200 or less) new guitars hanging on the wall there were very well set-up.

If the responsiveness of that particular guitar IS typical and the setup is not typical, then I'd say these are a pretty good deal for what you get (comes with DVD instructions, etc). Otherwise, I'd say getting a new kit at Guitar Center for $200 would be a much better deal for the beginner, since the setup on those is quite good.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Sounds like the Urban needed to be Zagered.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Haha, that's what came to my mind too.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Zagerize the Urban, then let Esteban rock out with it.

I'd buy the mp3.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:53 PM

The setup was a mile high, somewhat playable, and quite responsive? So did you buy it?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I was actually going to say that in my post, but forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
The setup was a mile high, somewhat playable, and quite responsive? So did you buy it?
I thought about it. But when the sales guy (a friend of mine) said he would no longer be my friend if I bought it, I had second thoughts.

If it's still there in a few weeks (the sales guys don't seem to think it'll last long), I might have their tech try to make it playable. If it can be made playable, I might buy it for one of my nieces or nephews.

It is a really nice shade of blue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion