The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Breedlove bridge saddle shims

Hi I always wondered why Breedlove provides shims for the saddle. Not an issue on the 6 string Breedlove (before it got smashed) but my Korean import
Passport CM250/SMe 12 string needs a little love. Yeah i know send it to a Luthier but I am trying to figure out as much as I can beforehand. Fret buzz starts around the 10th fret more noticeable on the low E and A strings. I checked the relief of the neck which I know how to do and did follow the manual's instruction. Also checked the Bridge Truss system and there is not wiggle or need to tighten. Loosening the truss rod more than optimal still doesn't
remedy anything, so it is time for a string change, might just try the shims provided. It does have a UST which i really don't use except for the tuner, but I am wondering if shimming the saddle which is compensated will affect tone and I bet need to be careful regarding the UST. If I can determine the saddle is too low in spots I guess i could try and find one that would fit, but not quite sure where to look. At this point I am not pointing the finger at the nut just yet. I'll get back my other guitar that went for a bone nut replacement and check what I am looking at price wise for a setup for this 12 string. I just feel it is best to try adjusting and problem solve within my skill set so i can best communicate with the tech if it goes that far.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

One thing to be wary of is if you have the Baggs Element as the UST... I have that as part of my Anthem SL systems (in both my 6 and 12 string guitars), and when I first got them back from the install, the luthier had used a shim on the 6 string, and it sounded REALLY bad,; all out of balance and bizarre noises all over the place!

I called Baggs and talked with their main tech, and he said that the Element DOES NOT PLAY WELL with shims of any kind!

I know that I have had shims in the same two guitars when they had Fishman USTs in them, without any untoward sonic difficulties however...

Breedlove gives you shims for the varying humidity associated with seasonal change that is common in most parts of the world... sort of a "spring" and "winter" saddle!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion