The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Picking hand relaxation

Playing for about 2 years now, and mostly to finger pick on acoustic. Lately however, I feel my picking hand is tensing up and I am not sure what is causing it, or what to do about it.

It was noticed by a very good player here in town, and he told me to relax my picking hand. Since then, I notice how often when I am playing something I will think about my hand, and it does feel tense, and my playing sounds like it. To the point of missing notes, and playing robot style. The more I think to relax my hand, the more often I notice it is a problem.

Are there any exercises you know of to help keep picking hands loose and free?

I don't have the problem it seems when I am strumming.

thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Tension is a tough one. You really need to focus on your overall posture and movement to minimize it in my experience. For me tension in my picking hand actually starts much further up the "chain" - like in my shoulder or even neck.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Do you have the pinkie resting on the soundboard? It would be cool if you had a photo
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraspyder View Post
Playing for about 2 years now, and mostly to finger pick on acoustic. Lately however, I feel my picking hand is tensing up and I am not sure what is causing it, or what to do about it.

It was noticed by a very good player here in town, and he told me to relax my picking hand. Since then, I notice how often when I am playing something I will think about my hand, and it does feel tense, and my playing sounds like it. To the point of missing notes, and playing robot style. The more I think to relax my hand, the more often I notice it is a problem.

Are there any exercises you know of to help keep picking hands loose and free?

I don't have the problem it seems when I am strumming.

thanks
Oddly enough, here's one that works:

Choose a single, pretty, open chord you like. Fret it and hold.

Take some time just leaving your picking hand draped in position and completely relaxed, don't play a note. Maybe think of a simple, slow beat and tap your foot to it.

Let go and re-fret the chord in time to this rhythm, keeping picking hand limp, still don't play a note. Do that a few times.

Then, strum from your shoulder & elbow, dragging your fourth-finger UP across strings. Repeat several times.

Then, leaving all other fingers completely limp, wiggle *PINKY. Begin to tickle individual strings w/ it, maybe pluck a few. Repeat several times.

Now you know how it feels to relax your playing hand while tensing/releasing your fret hand. Repeat to ingrain that feeling.

Now do the same thing, but w/ your fourth finger, instead of pinky.

Then with the middle finger, and so on, all the way to thumb.

Try to just noodle any random strings on-beat, using just one chord, and one finger, leaving all other fingers limp.

Then do the same but now *only on proper string(s) for each single finger you're using- 4-6 string for thumb, 3rd string for pointer, 2nd for middle, 1st for fourth, no pinky. Repeat this more than everything else.

Breath with the rhythm, but breath slow and deep, at half or less tempo.

After repeating that a lot, begin basic picking patterns, thinking of how your hand and body felt during the drill. You'll get it bro!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Never knew exactly what visual cues some one would use to suggest to you to relax your hands (right or left). How would one tell? There are all sorts of hand positions different people use to good effect.

I would say it does help to learn some of your music (or perhaps some exercises you do) really, really, well. Down cold pieces you can play with the least tension. Knowing what that feels like gives you a target for other pieces you play.

If you play with fingernails, consistency in those (size and shape) helps with accuracy and thus less tension.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 AM

Thanks I usually do play with pink not he sound board for consistency. I don't know if thats good or bad.

i will try that exercise… probably should have a few beers first as well to help relax :-)
Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraspyder View Post
Thanks I usually do play with pink not he sound board for consistency. I don't know if thats good or bad.

i will try that exercise… probably should have a few beers first as well to help relax :-)
You just need to show your brain and hand muscles what it feels like to tense fretting hand while keeping picking hand limp,

then what it feels like to pluck one string w/ one finger at a time while keeping rest of same hand limp.

Muscle-memory and brain neurology will take care of the rest, once you show them which pathways to light up.

Repeat and it'll become automatic.

2022 Gibson Banner J-45 Reissue - "Magic"
2014 Lakewood D-32 - "Grace"
2021 Yamaha LL56 - "New Hampshire"
2022 Yamaha LL16 Burst - "Sunny"
2012 Martin HD-28v
2020 Yairi DYM70CE
Breedlove American D25-SREH
1987 Fender F360S-12 string

Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Just a thought. Check that you're not bending your wrist in towards the soundboard. It's easily done, even if you start a piece with wrist straight.
Epiphone (Japanese, 1971)
Vintage AMG1 resophonic
https://nickdellar.bandcamp.com
Old 08-30-2015, 12:56 PM

The advice above (about separating you fingers) is the one I would support. Very much.

I am in the process of makin my right (picking) hand a bit more relaxed. To be hones - I want to make it relaxed at least a little, because its tense.

Also the thing about "tension" starting some place else (shoulder) is a good one.

Our bodies are communicating vessels.
Once I started to work on my hand relaxation I noticed that immediately I started to squeze my jaws.

So... It is not your hand that is tense. YOU ARE TENSE (so am I).

Right hand is important, because this is where the rythm, phrasing and music are produced.
The left just has to follow;-) (a good advice from a friend of mine - a cello player).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion