The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Default 12 string bass?

I just saw Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick live. The Bass player for Cheap Trick was using a 12 string bass. I had never seen one before. I'm just wondering if someone knows what the general advantages and disadvantages are? By the way, it was a good show!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Google "Megatar".
Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 AM

A 12 string bass sounds like a bass with a chorus pedal. It gives a real THICK ground to the music if done right (ala Cheap Trick). Disadvantages are murder in the fingers, and obviously, string changes.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 AM

Pearl Jam and King's X also used to use a 12 string a little.

Pros: that sound.
Cons: more strings, tuning, restringing, availability, and a headstock that's big enough to cause neck dive in most instances.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishplayer View Post
I just saw Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick live. The Bass player for Cheap Trick was using a 12 string bass. I had never seen one before. I'm just wondering if someone knows what the general advantages and disadvantages are? By the way, it was a good show!
Hi strummers and pluckers and Hi you.
I have only seen 3 x 12 stringers and played one. They are normally made to order in my limited experience.
However ,what are the merits of having 12 over 1,2,4,5,6, well I don't think there are any. Naturally the range is amazing if you can find it, naturally you have to have fingers like a spider and you can over complicate the arrangement.
What does anyone else think
Good question
Will we see a flood of them on the international market -------------------NO
Old 08-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen mills View Post
Hi strummers and pluckers and Hi you.
I have only seen 3 x 12 stringers and played one. They are normally made to order in my limited experience.
However ,what are the merits of having 12 over 1,2,4,5,6, well I don't think there are any. Naturally the range is amazing if you can find it, naturally you have to have fingers like a spider and you can over complicate the arrangement.
What does anyone else think
Good question
Will we see a flood of them on the international market -------------------NO
I have seen a few dual course 12 string basses that are basically a 6 string bass. I think there is a company or two that made a triple course 6 string bass, making it an 18 string.

I would like to eventually get a 12 string bass if time/$ permits. More than 12 scares the crap out of me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion