The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Chris Stapleton concert last night

OK, so I'd mentioned last month that I had tickets to see Chris Stapleton end of July...concert was postponed to last night due to the artist's illness at the time...

So my wife and I went last night...sold out show in a venue seating about 1200...opening act was a guy named Sam Lewis, put on a really good acoustic performance of original material...I enjoyed him a lot...

Chris Stapleton came on led off with the title track from his new cd...I almost didn't recognize the tune due the tempo being sped up and the sound volume was almost deafening...

He did a cover of a George Jones song, a cover of a Waylon Jennings song, and a cover of a Tom Petty song, all of them almost unrecognizable played at a breakneck tempo and stadium venue volume...

Apparently that was what his fan base wanted to hear, because you'd have thought there was a Dukes of Hazzard reunion there from all the rebel yelling going on...the guys behind my wife and I were screaming non stop like 13 year old girls at a Bieber concert..

My ears were ringing like a cathedral at that point, so my wife and I got up to leave...a lady staff member stopped and asked why we were leaving...when told, she gave us earplugs and offered us 2 empty seats in a prime location...she said the couple who paid for them had left for the same reasons I was dealing with, and so had some others...

My wife and I sat down just as someone in the back screamed "Freebird" !!
and sure enough the band kicked into the intro to Freebird, and the Duke contingency went wild...

At that point I called it enough and left...I've heard a good bit of Chris Stapleton's music and had heard nothing to lead me to consider that one of his shows would be what I experienced...I really like the guy's vocals and lyric writing ability, but none of that came thru last night...it was like hearing a way too loud bar band doing cover songs on Sat night at the Dew Drop Inn...

I don't think I've ever so badly missed the mark on my impression of an artist or his fanbase...I guess it's my bad, and next time, I'll do my homework a little better...

Anyway, today I'm sitting home in the quiet nursing my ringing ears and a lingering pounding headache...

Last edited by Denny B; 08-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:32 PM

Guess this is what he left the Steeldrivers for I hope it's the music he really wants to play, and isn't being driven by market forces….

Last edited by KYDeadhead; 08-29-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Default not what I saw...

I saw him a week or so after his record came out. same size venue. He was amazing, played the entire album...didn't do anything he didn't write except what's on the record. It was great...plus I saw him a year or so ago..same thing...nothing but great...must a had an off night...or he's listening to some stupid music row executives....
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM

I'd like to talk to whoever advised him to do a rocked out jam of "You Are My Sunshine"...yeah, they did that...
Old 08-29-2015, 10:58 PM

When you were n walking through the parking lot did you notice an abundance of Dodge Ram and F150 Pickups? ; Just saying
Kronbauer - TDK Mini Jumbo"Rosewood"
Kronbauer - Willy D "Ghost Rider"
Old 08-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Default offended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy D View Post
When you were n walking through the parking lot did you notice an abundance of Dodge Ram and F150 Pickups? ; Just saying
I'm not easily offended..and I don't own one..I assume that was just in fun..but I have a lot of friends who drive those...If you want to hear You Are My Sunshine..just you tube it...his wife sings it...and he sings harmony with her...it's amazing...This guy is the best singer I've ever heard...bar none...and live it's even more impressive....just my 2 cents
Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM

I saw him last Weekend it was a great show... Yes, loud and rowdy, but I was expecting that. Here's a video I shot:
https://video-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...87&oe=55E33E0B

Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I'm not easily offended..and I don't own one..I assume that was just in fun..but I have a lot of friends who drive those...If you want to hear You Are My Sunshine..just you tube it...his wife sings it...and he sings harmony with her...it's amazing...This guy is the best singer I've ever heard...bar none...and live it's even more impressive....just my 2 cents

Good morning, $ongWriter...I just checked out a few youtube vids of Chris and his wife doing the tune...the versions I heard there were absolutely beautiful, and I wish I had heard it that way the other night...

When I heard it, the sound volume was supersonic...I was telling my wife later that night that I thought his wife had one of those pure Country voices that you seldom hear anymore, but the sheer volume was so great that it was making her voice almost shrill and piercing...

I'm thinking the guy handling the sound that night should be given 30 lashes with a new set of heavy gauge guitar strings...
Old 08-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default sunshine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Good morning, $ongWriter...I just checked out a few youtube vids of Chris and his wife doing the tune...the versions I heard there were absolutely beautiful, and I wish I had heard it that way the other night...

When I heard it, the sound volume was supersonic...I was telling my wife later that night that I thought his wife had one of those pure Country voices that you seldom hear anymore, but the sheer volume was so great that it was making her voice almost shrill and piercing...

I'm thinking the guy handling the sound that night should be given 30 lashes with a new set of heavy gauge guitar strings...
I"ve been following his career for a long time. His writing and singing with the Steel Drivers was insane. Do you have those cd's? The first time I heard them do the You Are My Sunshine I'd always thought of that song as a little ditty...but when they do it...WOW.....how long did he play? that was the only beef I had with him the last time I saw him...just a little over 1 hr..and gone...of cause the way he sings..not sure how long you could keep that up..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion