The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I'm jealous! What does the Breedlove sound like? The Keb Mo is a great looking guitar. I've drooled over a few videos of thosr.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-23-2015, 09:22 PM

I will try to get some clips up this week.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-24-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Nice score and +1 on the Acoustic Vibes fan club. I was visiting near Tucson early this month, and decided to drive up to Tempe one day to check them out. I traded a Martin I didn't much like for one I did like, and was satisfied with the exchange. Been meaning to do a NGD post for my new 000-28VS and just haven't gotten around to it. I suspect they haven't seen the last of me either, because I could have a lot more fun in that building.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:19 PM

nedray - You've got to do the NGD thread. We all live for those.

The more I play these two guitars the more I'm I am loving them. Compared to the Keb Mo the Oregon Parlor is a little more boxy and boomy with more over tones. The Keb Mo is more clear and chimey. I am really really loving the string spacing on the Keb Mo. The Oregon Parlor almost feels cramped after playing on the Keb Mo and the Keb Mo feels very wide after playing the Oregon Parlor.

I can hardly get my work done thinking about these guitars.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-24-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Looks awesome

That Breedlove looks awesome!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 PM

I picked up a Shure MOTIV MV88 (the iOS mic) tonight. I'll be posting some audio samples of the two guitars tomorrow using that mic. I have an Apogee Mic 96K, but am traveling and forgot to bring it. Got a really good deal at Guitar Center of all places. The sales guy got tired of waiting on a manager to approve a price match and gave me his personal discount, which was far greater than the price match.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I went to Acoustic Vibes Music in Tempe, AZ to pickup a Gibson Keb Mo today. After playing and accepting that I was going to get the Keb Mo, I got my hands on a Breedlove Oregon Parlor Ltd (all myrtlewood with maple neck). After the first note I knew I had to have that guitar. Do yourself a favor and find one of these parlors to play, you won't leave it in the store.

Thanks to Jeff, Kathryn, and Bernie at Acoustic Vibes Music, my favorite acoustic guitar store. Kathryn showed me how she takes the nice photos of the guitars and recommended a great restaurant, Haji-Baba (if you are ever in Tempe please go to this place, the food is sooooo good). Bernie got my action setup just right on my Keb Mo. Jeff gave me a great deal on both guitars.

I am on cloud nine! The Keb Mo has that boxy sound I wanted. Feels very good in my hands. The wide string spacing is actually very nice. I thought it would be too wide, but it is perfect. I have tried 4 different Keb Mo guitars and finally found one I liked. The Oregon Parlor is just crazy nice. Loud for its size, perfect balance, comfortable body and neck. I love what Breedlove does with Myrtlewood. I have a Breedlove Northwest Classic, which has a Sitka top with Myrtlewood back and sides and maple neck. I played a Oregon series Concert at a Guitar Center in Virginia and it sounded better than any of the other guitars in the shop. You have got to play a Breedlove Myrtlewood guitar, they are that good. I read that Mrytlewood is consistent too and that has been my experience.

Agreed- BL's Oregon series have done something magic. Not to mention the price.

***Just wish they made one w/ a cutaway!***
Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Congrats! I'm jealous! What does the Breedlove sound like? The Keb Mo is a great looking guitar. I've drooled over a few videos of thosr.
I uploaded audio files and put them in the original post to demonstrate fingerstyle (with bare fingers) and strumming. The Breedlove has quite a bit of bass. Is clear and loud.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzd View Post
Agreed- BL's Oregon series have done something magic. Not to mention the price.

***Just wish they made one w/ a cutaway!***
I used to not like having cutaways, but would get them just-in-case. Then realized I never find myself that far up the neck. The only time not having a cutaway becomes an issue is if I'm using a capo above the 5 fret and if it is necessary to have a capo up that high then the guitar doesn't sound all that great anyway and I probably should look at using a different key.

What are people playing up that high, on an acoustic, that would make a cutaway necessary? I can see soloing on an electric up that high, but it never comes to mind on an acoustic for me.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 09-12-2015 at 07:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion