The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Adirondack/Rosewood Dread. Who?

I don't post much but I hang out here and pick up tips all the time. Love it. Anyway, just curious where your hearts lie. If you were shopping for a higher end Adi/Rosewood Dread where would your money likely go? Collings? Bourgeois? Martin? Santa Cruz? Webber? Custom build by luthier(this is what I am most interested in since I really don't know about any)? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 AM

This question is a very, very difficult to answer. So many variables...

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 AM

The Collings D2HA would definitely be the guitar I'd choose. I have a friend who plays a Bourgeois Vintage D. It is a great guitar, but all of the other Bourgeios guitars I've played (I played 10 of them recently shopping for my new guitar) weren't even in the ballpark of most of the Collings I've played save 1 other. So there are some great Bourgeois Vintage D's out there, but I didn't find one in my shopping.

Although the Collings D2HA would be my choice, the Santa Cruz D or DPW would have probably been my second choice. They also seemed to be more consistant than Bourgeois. Also check out Huss & Dalton. We played several really good ones at Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN. The H&D's they had were also better than the Bourgeois that they had.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:54 AM

First and foremost I would go for mahogany and an OM, but if you must have a D and it must be rosewood, there is really nothing better than a great Martin.

check this out: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AMG.htm

and then check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iye1cmWcqro

even as someone who doesn't like rosewood or dreads, this guitar makes me weak in the knees, I must have it. please buy it and save me the divorce
Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 AM

breedlove. played one for about an hour... couldn't stop playing it. =)
Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM

There are a couple of luthiers here that will build you your own custom for less than you might think. I'd get 'em while I could. I'd recommend Glen DeRusha, whose Lutz Spruce/Rosewood handbuilt was first prize in the NY State Flatpicking championship this past June in Mayville NY. I played it, as did Jack Lawrence, Ron Block, Sierra Hull--it was a killer axe, HUGE sound, and Glen is quite reasonable (IMO). He's a member here. A PM might be a decent idea.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 AM

Go to the Source grasshopper.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 AM

Bourgeois Signature D. Hands down.

For a more "bargain" price, I would recommend the Larrivee D-60. I would buy one of these over a similarly priced Martin D-28 any day.

Also, if you have the cash, a Goodall TrD is about as close as you can get to an acoustic assault weapon- by far the loudest and most aggressive Adi/ Rosewood dread out there. It has a less traditional tone, but, oh the VOLUME.

rg

2006 Bourgeois: Dana Bourgeois Signature D Prototype (Madagascar/ Adirondack)
Larrivee: D-50 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Tanglewood Parlor (office guitar!)
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM

agreed, a Goodall D, step back Mr. , you can't handle it. What would really be the ticket is the Goodall Long D. I'd go for something like mahogany with adirondack.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Revival Series

You should look at the Revival Series Dreadnoughts in Rosewood and Mahogany. Priced right, sound great and well built. Collings and Santa Cruz would also be a great choice IMHO, you will never go to guitar hell for buying one of those.

I haven't owned a Dreadnought in years but if I were to buy one new it would be a Breedlove, used...well I may go for an older used Martin...sometimes I get a little nostalgic, but I digress.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM

If my budget allowed it, I would go to John Slobod (Circa Guitars).
Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
I don't post much but I hang out here and pick up tips all the time. Love it. Anyway, just curious where your hearts lie. If you were shopping for a higher end Adi/Rosewood Dread where would your money likely go? Collings? Bourgeois? Martin? Santa Cruz? Webber? Custom build by luthier(this is what I am most interested in since I really don't know about any)? Thanks!
Call Brock Poling. He may still have the cocobolo/adi highlander he built for a recent show.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
I went through this recently, and after playing several Collings, Huss, Gibson (slope), Tippin, and a bunch of Martins, I ended up with a Martin HD-28V custom adirondack. I played 3 of these, and 2 I had little interest in. You never know what's really going to work unless you play them, I think.

I was not expecting to buy new or buy Martin. This one just sounded right.

I would not recommend mine to anyone else, except to say I love it. I love a lot of other guitars too, and this one fit in my lineup. What will fit in yours? Love to hear how it ends up for you.

Oh, and "Thunderlung" is a great username. I don't know why, that's just cool. Maybe it's my cycling background.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Depending on your budget I would recommend a Martin 175th Anniversary Americas Guitar, Adi over Madagascar. I have played Bourgeois signatures and Country Boys, Santa Cruz Tony Rice Pros and tons of Collings.

Admittedly I am a Martin fan, but to me the Americas Guitars is the best new rosewood dread I have played, period. If you like the vintage sound, highly recommended.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjordan View Post
...Although the Collings D2HA would be my choice, the Santa Cruz D or DPW would have probably been my second choice. ....
I had a Collings D2hA for a while. I made a little vid of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSg6OGHKOY I also had a regular d2h some years back. The Collings is a great guitar. It is a tighter, more focused sound as opposed to the more open Martin thing. Neither is "better", you just have decide what appeals to you, or get two I now play a D/PW with an adi top, hide glue, and a 1 3/4 nut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion