The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2022, 07:54 PM

Default Guild OM-120 - What is The Neck Like?

I miss having smaller bodied guitars, to complement my Gibson J-35. Also, as the recent thread on all Mahogany guitars reminded me, I've always had a soft spot for all hog guitars. The Alvarez AD-66 I had until recently, also reminded me of this, but I also realized, that I really didn't want another 'dread, so it went bye-bye. I've always been intrigued by Guilds, having had a 1970s Guild 12-string years ago, but I've gotten the impression, that Guild in recent times, has become a member of the "thin necks r us" club. I find thin necks uncomfortable playing-wise. I don't need a baseball bat neck, but at least a decent Medium C, or Vintage C will work for me. But, I'm wondering - I've read and seen a couple of reviews on YouTube, that suggest, that the Guild OM-120, may buck the "thin necks rule" trend. Is this the case?

If not what would you suggest for an all mahogany 000, OM, or 00, that doesn't have a thin neck? I'd consider Eastman (love their necks), but they don't make an all mahogany guitar.

P.S. - Martins and Taylors need not apply. I do not like the Modified Low Oval or Performance neck profiles most Martins have (way too thin for me), ditto for the V-profile necks on their more vintage oriented models. Also, I ended up having to say good bye to my Taylors early last year, because their relatively thin necks gave me a sore hand (I was NOT a happy camper about getting rid of my AD27, it was a great sounding guitar).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 04-05-2022, 08:11 PM

Hi, Ellen, can't help ya much with the OM-120 neck. I know my D-55 has a "forgettable" neck--meaning that I don't notice it while I play, which is good. I don't know if this trait carries over to other Guild models . . .

The OM-120 intrigues me and the tones on the demo clip on the Guild website are hauntingly beautiful.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
I miss having smaller bodied guitars, to complement my Gibson J-35. Also, as the recent thread on all Mahogany guitars reminded me, I've always had a soft spot for all hog guitars. The Alvarez AD-66 I had until recently, also reminded me of this, but I also realized, that I really didn't want another 'dread, so it went bye-bye. I've always been intrigued by Guilds, having had a 1970s Guild 12-string years ago, but I've gotten the impression, that Guild in recent times, has become a member of the "thin necks r us" club. I find thin necks uncomfortable playing-wise. I don't need a baseball bat neck, but at least a decent Medium C, or Vintage C will work for me. But, I'm wondering - I've read and seen a couple of reviews on YouTube, that suggest, that the Guild OM-120, may buck the "thin necks rule" trend. Is this the case?

If not what would you suggest for an all mahogany 000, OM, or 00, that doesn't have a thin neck? I'd consider Eastman (love their necks), but they don't make an all mahogany guitar.

P.S. - Martins and Taylors need not apply. I do not like the Modified Low Oval or Performance neck profiles most Martins have (way too thin for me), ditto for the V-profile necks on their more vintage oriented models. Also, I ended up having to say good bye to my Taylors early last year, because their relatively thin necks gave me a sore hand (I was NOT a happy camper about getting rid of my AD27, it was a great sounding guitar).
Hi Ellen. I had an OM 120 for a couple of days. From what I remember, it wasn't a super thin neck, but the neck and guitar was so slathered in a thick gloss finish I couldn't wait to send it back. It made the guitar feel so cheap. Like you, I wanted a small body mahogany (which I still haven't found) But unfortunately not this Guild.
Hope this helps some...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-06-2022, 05:20 AM

I had a D140 and the neck was actually thicker than i wanted (I have a bit of arthritis). I sold it consequently.

I believe you’d find the OM neck may be just what you’re looking for.

Good luck.
Roger
Old 04-06-2022, 05:44 AM

I own the m120 (and played d120), but haven't tried the om. Assuming they're similar, I'd say the neck is unique. Specs claim that it's 1.75 at the nut, but it feels smaller to me...you know how sometimes the shape can do that? It's got a unique shape. Not really round, or v, but almost flat. To me, it feels very oval-like. And even though it's makes the 1.75 seem deceptively small, it's still hard to wrap my thumb around for bass notes. Sadly, I think it's probably part of the thin neck club.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the info everybody.

I'm not a thumb wrapper or a thumb hanger. I play classical style (thumb behind the neck), and thin necks make my left hand feel like it's acting like a C-clamp on the neck if it's thin (not a good feeling). The glossiness of the neck is no big deal to me (when I started playing 43years ago, almost all new guitar necks were glossy). I did see a video review by Tony Polecastro, where he commented that the neck almost seemed like a hybrid between a C-profile, and D-profile neck (I'm not a fan of D-profile neck - C and U profile necks for me please). Unless I hear otherwise, it's looking like I may have to look elsewhere.

Maybe I should consider an Alvarez MFA66SHB. The neck is supposed to be similar to the neck of the AD66 I used to have (which was OK), and it's solid hog, top, back and sides.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 04-06-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:03 AM

I have an OM-120 and it's a great guitar. The neck is definitely not thin, but not overly clunky either. I would say give it a chance. Alvarez also makes some good guitars. I've owned 4 but currently just one. I briefly owned an AF60, and it just didn't click with me. I believe the scale is short on these where the Guild is standard. Thickness I honestly can't remember, but I don't believe it was thin either. All that said, I would suggest the Guild first, then the Alvarez. But I don't think you could go wrong either way.
(Martin) Sigma DM-1
(Martin) Sigma GC1ST
Old 04-07-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
Thanks for the info everybody.
Maybe I should consider an Alvarez MFA66SHB. The neck is supposed to be similar to the neck of the AD66 I used to have (which was OK), and it's solid hog, top, back and sides.
Hi Ellen, do you know if this Alvarez has a short or long scale? I've looked and can't seem to find that spec. If you do pick this up please let us know how you like it.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 04-07-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Ellen, do you know if this Alvarez has a short or long scale? I've looked and can't seem to find that spec. If you do pick this up please let us know how you like it.
Here are the MFA66SHB specs from Alvarez. 24 13/16 scale. I have one and I love the neck. I believe they call it a slight V that moderates to a C:

https://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/mfa66shb/

Last edited by Realbluesman; 04-07-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Here are the MFA66SHB specs from Alvarez. 24 13/16 scale. I have one and I love the neck. I believe they call it a slight V that goes to a C:

https://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/mfa66shb/
thanks Realbluesman!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion