The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Talking Taylor 110 vs Seagull Maritime SWS?

I realise these kinds of threads can be annoying and arbitrary.
And I realise best way is try guitars at the store (s).
Well I did that and I'm down to these 2 and need some input to help
decide.
If you've tried both and/or know both.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM

The Seagull will give your more value for the money: all solid woods, high gloss.
But you should decide based on the tone.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Yeah, all solid woods, but the difference was that the 110 spoke to me and got purchased after 2 plays. The Maritme SWS (the mini-jumbo though), still doesn't bond with me after having played it in shops for like 4-6 times.
It's all a matter of taste. The Taylor really has that 'Taylor' sound, and I still don't know what the 'Seagull' sound is. Same with Yamaha. Most other guitars I have tried have a definitive character that makes the guitar sound like it's from a particular maker (I have only tried enough Taylors to be able to tell).
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 PM

As much as I want to like the all solid wood seagull sws, I don't... it is not bad, but just very ordinary. The Taylor to me sounded and played better. In theory, solid wood guitar should have the upper hands, but it may not always be the case, or maybe it is just me and my tonal preferences. I even prefer the Yamaha FG730 over the SWS, so who knows, buy whatever that you like best, don't let the solid wood win you over just because.

Santa Cruz H13 (Sitka/Mahogany)
Bourgeois OMC (Engleman/EIR)

Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Yes, as I said in my first reply, you should decide based on the tone of the guitar.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 PM

The Taylor sound is what it is. It's bright and tends to ring out on the high side. Seagulls tend to approach a more Martin-like sound: richer in the lower end and warm warm WARM.

I think the Seagull SWS's are vastly underrated, and can age like a fine wine. I think it takes a degree of trust in tonal maturation, an aspect that I can't/won't blame people for not enduring. It'll never reach that "Taylor sparkle," but it will age better. However, if you want the Taylor sound, why limit yourself to the 110?

Personally, I think the SWS is always the better buy, but it isn't a knock on the tone of a Taylor. The upside's are just better for the SWS.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Both are nice. If its a wash and you really can't decide I would lean towards the Taylor as I think it will hold its value better when you decide to upgrade. And you probably will at some point. Seagulls are great (I own 2) but have been tough for me to sell while my Taylors have held their value much better.

Just been my experience.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:03 AM

As mentioned, Taylors will hold their value better. However, I am very fond the SWS Seagulls, as well as all Godin guitars. Great value and a great sound for me. Very balanced. I just helped my sister-in-law get her first Seagull SWS and I was in envy the whole time playing it for her...

But don't go by the name that is on the headstock. You need to feel which guitar is right for you. Sometimes this can take a while.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 AM

Default Get both

Just get both. Heck, just go ahead and buy 8-10 guitars...that's what I did.

Wait a second, that might be the dream I had last night. Yep, cheked my guitar room and no new guitars.

sorry about that.

For real though. I own a Taylor laminate... great guitar, but after only a few months I'm ready for a solid wood guitar. Don't buy the name, buy the guitar! Go to the store, close your eyes and then have the sales clerk hand you each guitar. Make your decision then.

Congrats on your soon to be NGD.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

for the same money, i'd go for totally other guitars than you're looking at. i'm not in love with all the seagull SWS models even though i am a big fan of their original and coastline models. that being said, i'm not in love with the taylor, but i prefer it to some of the seagull SWS models.

it might help if you mention WHICH seagull SWS model, since they're not all alike. my favorite was the mini jumbo, but it sounded better when someone was playing it to me than when i was playing it, so if i were considering it, i'd definitely figure a sound port would be in its future.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 AM

FWIW relative newby here but one with a good musical ear.

I am so glad I chose the Seagull SWS, it is really a great guitar, the sound is so much richer than you would expect from a $600+/- guitar. And, I don't know if this is actually happening, but it really seems to actually sound better now than the day I bought it. (BTW tried all the ~$600 guitars including Taylor & Martin offerings, and have gone back since to compare and am even happier of my decision)

Another thing to consider is neck widths are different on these guitars.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Snake Joe View Post
The Taylor sound is what it is. It's bright and tends to ring out on the high side. Seagulls tend to approach a more Martin-like sound: richer in the lower end and warm warm WARM.

I think the Seagull SWS's are vastly underrated, and can age like a fine wine. I think it takes a degree of trust in tonal maturation, an aspect that I can't/won't blame people for not enduring. It'll never reach that "Taylor sparkle," but it will age better. However, if you want the Taylor sound, why limit yourself to the 110?

Personally, I think the SWS is always the better buy, but it isn't a knock on the tone of a Taylor. The upside's are just better for the SWS.
This nails it. The Seagull (and any solid wood guitar for that matter) will continue to evolve overtime. To me, I believe the biggest discerning factor between the two instruments is not material, but feel. Two totally different neck dimensions...if you are inspired and drawn to play an instrument, it really doesn't matter if it is solid wood, endangered wood, hand-selected, pressed paper, carbon fiber, or laminate.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Everything is endangered (actually 'vulnerable' according to the IUCN thingy). So it doesn't really matter there either (everything from spruce to ovangkol to braz rosewood and sapele is classed as being vulnerable).
Just a thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion