The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2004, 04:19 PM

Question String issue or guitar issue?

Ok, this may be a goofy question, but here goes . . .

I play a 314ce (2002 ltd maple) and it is currently strung with Nanoweb lights. I thought that I had some sort of intonation problem with the guitar because I would tune the low E string but when I fretted it almost anywhere up the fretboard the note was noticeably sharp. However, as I played with it I found that my finger pressure on the string was causing the note to go sharp. The only way I can produce an in-tune note is to barely fret the string, just barely enough to avoid a buzz. This means that my normal finger pressure produces a noticably sharp note. I am pretty much only experiencing this on the low E string.

Ok, here's the question: Is this probably due to the light guage strings or could this be some sort of guitar setup issue such as low/high action? The action is relatively low, but not extreme. I have always had light guage strings on the guitar but have not always used Nanowebs. I know that a lot of finger pressure on the string can cause a change in pitch, sort of like bending the string, but this seems to be very sensitive. Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2004, 04:56 PM

I've always thought Elixirs were a little finicky with intonation. I just figured it was in my head but any time I've had them on any of my guitars it seemed like I was always tuning on them.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:39 PM

I've been using Elixer Polywebs on my Taylors. The only time I have intonation problems is after they've been on the guitar quite a while. They may still sound good but due to metal fatigue they don't intonate as well. Also my action is set very close so a light touch is all that is required to produce a clear tone. A higher action causes the string to stretch farther to reach the fretboard and make contact with the fret. I also set my necks with minimal relief. I do my own set ups and I can tune on Monday and play all week without any problems. Both my Taylors play very true and I have perfect relative pitch, so even the slightest problems could drive me nuts. In my opinion, if the guitar is otherwise sound, the straighter the neck, the less the relief , and the lighter the touch of the fretting hand, the less problems you will have with tuning and intonation.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488
Old 03-14-2004, 07:19 PM

you will find that light strings will play "sharp" compared to med, etc if you are a hard player, ie.... pushing the string hard onto the board. Actually.... after the note frets, no more pressure is required. Lite strings will dip into the area between the frets more than a thicker string causing the sharpness. As Tac5 said also, if you have high string action, that will only make your problem worse.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:11 PM

All very interesting, thank you. I was leaning toward the Nano's being the problem, as I never really noticed this when playing Polywebs. However, I may do a little truss rod adjustment as well. The action isn't terribly high now, but if I don't get too much buzz I may bring it down a bit. I've been making an effort to use less pressure with my left hand anyway, so maybe this will add a little incentive!

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:30 PM

I seem to always have that same problem, no matter what strings I have on my 410 (right now I am using Elixir Light/Medium Polys) . I know that I generally fret too hard, but I only notice the low E string going sharp. I have just learned to tune the low E string just a bit low to compensate. I use an Intellitouch tuner, and I usually tune it so it displays >>>E<< (one arrow shy of being on the pitch). Out of curiosity, I got out my Petersen strobe tuner, and the open E string shows being about "8 cents" low. When I fret the E for a G note, the strobe tuner shows it being dead on pitch. For what I play, having the low-E tuned so fretted notes are on pitch works best...
2002 Fender American Strat
2002 Takamine G-230 "Beater"
2004 Martin D-28
Old 03-14-2004, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JRGill
I seem to always have that same problem, no matter what strings I have on my 410.... I have just learned to tune the low E string just a bit low to compensate. I use an Intellitouch tuner, and I usually tune it so it displays >>>E<< (one arrow shy of being on the pitch).....When I fret the E for a G note, the strobe tuner shows it being dead on pitch. For what I play, having the low-E tuned so fretted notes are on pitch works best...
My old lead guitarist had me take his ES335 in to be readjusted because he said a barred G was always out of tune. Neither the luthier nor I could reproduce the problem; but when Mike got it back, he was furious because it was still "intonating sour." I tend to have this problem on the low E string when playing an open G chord in first position. To compensate, I follow the advice I saw on a guitar website (I have long since forgotten the url): first, tune to pitch using an electronic tuner. Then, go back and tune each string as follows: high E, play 5th fret to make an A; B, play third fret to make a D; G, play 2nd fret to make an A; D, sound the 7th fret harmonic to make an A; A, play 5th fret to make a D; low E, play 3rd fret to make a G. For a Taylor, this is all I need. For a Martin, I then play an open E chord and tweak till it sounds in tune; for a Gibson, I play a first position D chord and fuss and cuss till I give up and play the Taylor instead. I don't do any of this with my electrics because the action is so low that I am not choking up on any of the strings.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

One other possibility: For your playing style, the action at the nut may be too high. I've found that a high action at the nut has a tendency to cause fretted bass strings to pull sharp with lights.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-15-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Womack
One other possibility: For your playing style, the action at the nut may be too high. I've found that a high action at the nut has a tendency to cause fretted bass strings to pull sharp with lights.
I agree. It's not uncommon for the 6th string to sound a little off up the neck, but it shouldn't be dramatic. I recommend having a pro setup done. I think you'll find it's the best $25 you've ever spent.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: String issue or guitar issue?

Quote:
Originally posted by titleist_guy
Ok, this may be a goofy question, but here goes . . .

Is this probably due to the light guage strings or could this be some sort of guitar setup issue such as low/high action? The action is relatively low, but not extreme. I have always had light guage strings on the guitar but have not always used Nanowebs. I know that a lot of finger pressure on the string can cause a change in pitch, sort of like bending the string, but this seems to be very sensitive. Any ideas?
Yep, this problem is inherent to the guitar, but may be worse with some string brands. Lower tuning (dropped D etc.) also make it worse.

Generally, there a re remedies:

1. play carefully (duh!)
2. make sure the action on your guitar is as low as possible
3. use thicker strings
4. use strings with a thin core (and thicker windings)

Rdg. point 4: on my Gretsch I use Pyramid strings, which do not have this intonation problem at all. I assume it's because these strings have relatively thick (double) windings and a thin core. With such strings, the string tension increases less if you press them againt the fretboard. So you may want to check that out on the various strings you try.

Picker.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:53 PM

I posted another similar thread about intonation issues and I'll be durned if it wasn't those funky Elixirs! I put some Martin SP's on it and perfecto......hmmmmppppfff. I wonder if I can get a refund from Gore?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion