The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Default Desperate!

Looking for good reasons [excuses] to give to my wife about why i need to buy another guitar from classifieds. All lame excuses welcomed.

Last edited by rlouie; 08-08-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Wives are most susceptible to the old "It's really an investment" ploy. Always worked for me right up to the divorce.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Alternate tunings - a guitar dedicated to your favorite alternate tuning will save on strings.

Or - if I like this new one enough I'll sell the other. Or visa-versa. Sometimes it takes a long time to decide.

Or - You're going to teach yourself nut and saddle adjustments to save money on your setups, and need a test subject. Or finish repairs, depending.

I forgot to mention - You're going to set one of them up for bottleneck or lap style playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
Looking for good reasons [excuses] to give to my wife about why i need to buy another guitar from classifieds. All lame arsed excuses welcomed.

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

Last edited by jmcphail; 08-08-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM

Women always ask, "How many guitars do you need?"

Ask them, "How many pairs of shoes do YOU need?"
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backliner View Post
Women always ask, "How many guitars do you need?"

Ask them, "How many pairs of shoes do YOU need?"
Weak. A pair of shoes rarely costs the same as a Martin. I think the line, 'I'm thinking about exchanging a guitar' is the strongest so far. That the purchase takes place first and the exchange never actually happens can be put on the backburner ....
Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Hehe, i did that one about 8 months ago, i just tried the... well i dont drink or gamble [guilt trip] but she just rolls her eyes and changes the subject. I think maybe she just doesn't like to see me have a good time.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
Looking for good reasons [excuses] to give to my wife about why i need to buy another guitar from classifieds. All lame excuses welcomed.
With the world in such financial turmoil it only makes sense to diversify your financial investments. The wild counterfeiting of the dollar by the US government will undoubtedly cause a dramtic devaluation of the dollar eventually. The guitar you want will likely cost 10 times more later. And your savings in paper money will be worthless. Gold is nice, but subject to being seized by the government and its not much fun to play with.

However...things with real utility like guns, guitars, and high end chainsaws will always be valued. And unlike gold, you can play with guns, guitars, and chainsaws while they diversify your portfolio. So far my guitar savings account includes 3 martins, 1 taylor, and 2 fenders. I hope to save even more soon. But its getting kinda crowded in here...
Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM

My husband's a smoker. So far (41 years) I've never needed to defend or justify a purchase but I'm holding this one for that time: Just think of it as 10 (or 20 or 30) cartons of cigarettes, 'nough said?.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Just tell her that guitars are like women: you can't have too many. Maybe she'll understand......maybe she won't.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
My husband's a smoker. So far (41 years) I've never needed to defend or justify a purchase but I'm holding this one for that time: Just think of it as 10 (or 20 or 30) cartons of cigarettes, 'nough said?.
I always wondered what's it like looking at t it from wife's perspective. Cartons of cigarettes is great. Also, are we more difficult or easier to deal with? lol
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Weak. A pair of shoes rarely costs the same as a Martin. I think the line, 'I'm thinking about exchanging a guitar' is the strongest so far. That the purchase takes place first and the exchange never actually happens can be put on the backburner ....
Uuhhh... that's a thin like you're walking there Mr. Walling.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Unless you have an educated wife who can find and count your guitars on a weekly basis

I named my first custom build after her - that didn't work either.

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Geeze, I feel sorry for anyone in a relationship where you have to come up with excuses. Either discuss the purchase fairly with your spouse or forego it.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

It's not money down a rat hole; if you buy used, you can likely sell it for close to what you paid for it, and at the worse, if you have someone else sell if it for you later, you'll lose maybe 15-20%. For the entertainment value of the guitar, that is a small overall expense over the years.

Also, guitars are way less expensive items than other things people spend money on like RV's, boats, etc. Guitars keep you at home where your wife is.

Regards, Glenn
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM

"Honey i just got robbed! but dont worry, luckily i found this brand new acoustic in its case laying on the street" (you said lame excuses are welcome )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion