The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Finally... a 12 Fret

It's the standard issue 12 Fret, not the LTD. My local dealer had both on order and I was pleased to see the rosewood/spruce come through yesterday afternoon. He called and I drove there straight away.

Not much playing time yet - maybe an hour or so - but so far, quite impressive, a different voice for a Taylor... one I really like.

More to come as the relationship progresses.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 AM

photos, please...
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Hi LP26,
My local store has one also, not even a month old.
I played it and it sounded sooooooo sweet. It's the BEST sounding Taylor
I ever heard. I want it real bad!!! But the wife...you know the story. I'm
more jealous of you than you could ever know!
Enjoy the git, and play it in good health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best,
Bruce
2010 Taylor GS Mini (W/ES Go)
2010 Godin Session

"There once was a note, pure and easy, Playing so free like a breath rippling by..."
Pete Townshend
Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 AM

In playing mine I've been tempted to agree that it is the best sounding Taylor I've heard, but I temper that thought with the idea that it's still a brand new guitar and we need to see if the honeymoon endures.

What strikes me is its woodiness, depth of tone across its range and volume for a small bodied guitar.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM

And one other small observation...

The 2010 ES is different. Frankly, I've always thought the second iteration of the ES was pretty good. This new ES has a more natural tone to my ears...
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Taylor started shipping the latest ES in January of 2010 and the reviews are positive. I had my first 12 fret experience yesterday with this custom and I couldn't believe how warm it sounds and how easy it is to play. I'm normally a dread guy but WOW, what a great guitar.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Default All Mahogany Grand Concert

Looks a bit like my BTO all mahogany 14 fret Grand Concert...

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...ny%20GC%20BTO/
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Now I'm torn between a 12-fret BTO and an RTaylor Style 2.
The 12er might be the sound I'm looking for, but I just can't get over the slotted headstock.

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP26 View Post
What strikes me is its woodiness, depth of tone across its range and volume for a small bodied guitar.
One thing to observe about most 12 fret guitar bodies, is though they look smaller, due to a more narrow body width, they are usually longer in the body, some by as much as a inch -- that gives a good amount of top for the strings to pull on.

Add to that the bridge needs to be moved back to maintain the scale since the neck is 2 frets shorter, and that adds more pull on the largest cross-section of the lower bout.

Both those add up to a deeper and usually louder guitar than most people expect for a "small body" guitar.

Haven't heard a Taylor 12 fret yet, but would love to.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 08-11-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMHaynes View Post
One thing to observe about most 12 fret guitar bodies, is though they look smaller, due to a more narrow body width, they are usually longer in the body, some by as much as a inch -- that gives a good amount of top for the strings to pull on.

Add to that the bridge needs to be moved back to maintain the scale since the neck is 2 frets shorter, and that adds more pull on the largest cross-section of the lower bout.

Both those add up to a deeper and usually louder guitar than most people expect for a "small body" guitar.

Haven't heard a Taylor 12 fret yet, but would love to.
Actually, the Taylor 12 fret body is the exactly the same dimensions as the standard 14 fret Grand Concert bodies. My 12 fret Larrivee OM also has the same body dimensions as it's 14 fret cousins. I do know that Martin does "stretch" it bodies up to meet the 12 fret configurations, though.

My experience with playing the Taylor 12 fret resulted in my passing on buying the one I tried. What really struck me was that the combination of a short scale with the 12 fret neck/body join, resulted in what I felt was a pretty cramped fret board layout. A cutaway would have really helped, but alas, the cutaway 12 fret is not a standard Taylor model (even though it is pictured on their web site).

I'll admit the tonal qualities of the 12 fret was different than the standard GC8, but to my ear the GC8 was more responsive, more "Taylor", and more pleasing to me (maybe the CV bracing on the GC8 is the difference).

Just my 2 cents.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary0319 View Post
I'll admit the tonal qualities of the 12 fret was different than the standard GC8, but to my ear the GC8 was more responsive, more "Taylor", and more pleasing to me (maybe the CV bracing on the GC8 is the difference).

Just my 2 cents.

Gary
My experience has been the same ... I was looking forward to the 12-frets coming out but after playing the Rosewood/Sitka 12 and comparing to my GC8, I found that I preferred the GC8 in every way ... The 12 certainly was louder and more pronounced in certain tones but I find the GC8 more balanced and articulate which fits better with my playing style ...

Don't get me wrong, I think the 12-frets are fine but just not for me ...

Now, one exception is the all Koa 12-fret ... somehow, it stays very articulate with the added volume and turns out to be the one I would choose if I decided I wanted a 12-fret ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 AM

The cutaway is the standard model. That's what's sitting in my living room.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP26 View Post
The cutaway is the standard model. That's what's sitting in my living room.

That's good to know, maybe things have changed.

When I talked to Jim at Guitar Rodeo a few months ago, and questioned why the picture on the Taylor web site showed the cutaway and the specs indicated no cutaway, I was informed that the standard was the non-cutaway (per the pricing on the web site) and the cutaway would be a sustantial upcharge. Actually the cutaway would be the the same upcharge that is normally associated with a BTO model. That put the 12 fret cutaway several hundred$ above an 812ce with maple binding, inlayed fretboard, CV bracing, etc.

If the cutaway is now included in the standard pricing, I may reconsider.

Thanks,

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstev View Post
Taylor started shipping the latest ES in January of 2010 and the reviews are positive. I had my first 12 fret experience yesterday with this custom and I couldn't believe how warm it sounds and how easy it is to play. I'm normally a dread guy but WOW, what a great guitar.
very cool looking Taylor.

i may be off on this, but from the pictures of the above 12 fretter, to me the soundhole looks a bit larger than the standard GC, and of you guys care to measure and confirm or deny(LP26?).

Taylor is starting to get my attention once more

dkc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion